Lube door hinges on 1950 Special Deluxe

rhelm1953

Does anyone have a good method to lubricate the front door hinges on a 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe?  My front doors are getting stiff and the hinge pins appear to be buried in the front door post.  I would prefer to not just soak with penetrating oil and hope for the best.

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

lubrication section does not specify procedure but does say to use DPO (dripless penetrating oil)

I never heard of such a thing. What are the brand names,and where can you get it?

I never tried this myself,but was told a long time ago that you could heat the outside part of the hinge and melt candle wax to run down in it. Not sure if they were pulling me leg or not,but it always seemed to me that getting a hinge that hot would not be a good thing to do.

There has to be some sort of tiny press you could use to "pump" the hinge pin out if you don't want to drill it out.

2 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I never heard of such a thing. What are the brand names,and where can you get it?

I never tried this myself,but was told a long time ago that you could heat the outside part of the hinge and melt candle wax to run down in it. Not sure if they were pulling me leg or not,but it always seemed to me that getting a hinge that hot would not be a good thing to do.

There has to be some sort of tiny press you could use to "pump" the hinge pin out if you don't want to drill it out.

well...there are things out there in that great big world of ours that astound each of us at times.....do a google or e-bay search.....you in for a surprise...

20 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

well...there are things out there in that great big world of ours that astound each of us at times.....do a google or e-bay search.....you in for a surprise...

Google what.dripless oil,candle wax...????

2 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the very thing you posted above and I highlighted that you had never heard of........

I see nothing highlighted. Wouldn't it be easier to just tell me what it is you want me to do in plain language?

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I did.....

No,you didn't. You are just playing your little mind games. If you were serious you would have just said what you were talking about instead of trying to look clever by making it a guessing game.

Hey there K-nuck and PA  .  nice to see you have enough energy for a joust.   It is snowing here and I am going to have an indoor day tomorrow.  Maybe I will spray some kind of squirty stuff into my 50 Plymouth's hinges just for old time's sake.  It is all I have ever needed to do in over 50 years .   These hinges are not easy to remove but the squirty stuff is well out of the way of upholstery.  Maybe I will do just the front doors, I don't seem to have much use for the back seat any more.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Knuckle, I was very clear, follow the posts and look for the changes in color of the quoted sections...no jousting, no games...it is all there...sorry you got confused, was not in any manner trying to trip you up. 

I have been back and looked,and I still don't see any color changes.

Maybe it is my browser. New computer with new Mozilla download,and on some web pages even the colored "post" boxes are completely missing.

Whatever the reason,if I tell you I don't see something and that I have been back and looked again,I have been back again and looked,and still don't see anything. When I asked you what you wanted me to google,you could have just told me after the 1st time I told you I didn't see it.

Now,I just don't care.

The chain lube is an excellent suggestion, I have a couple of cans for my motorcycles.  The real question was how do I get oil to the hinge, the pivot point is buried up inside the fender and I don't want to remove and replace the doors just to oil the hinge.  It looks like I might be able to get access if I pull the kick panels.  Will that get me access to the hinge pins?

I don't know exactly what your hinges look like , but can you reach the pivot points with a Zoom Spout Oiler ? A Zoom Spout Oiler has a long thin tube about 10 inches long and you can dispense oil uphill if you need to by squeezing the bottle . Zoom Spout Oilers also work good for oiling speedometers up under the dash .