Rear shock relocation

belvedere666

So, I picked up a Ford Ranger rear end for my P20.

Looking for spring pads/perches that will fit the skinny leaf springs.

they seem to be abundant.

what I realized though, was that my existing spring perches have a bolt for my shocks sticking out of them.

i can’t find any replacement perches that have that set up.

anyone know where to find them?

what is everyone else with a rear End swap doing for a rear shock relocation, if you’ve eliminated the old style spring perches?

I bought early Jeep perches new for 1 3/4” wide springs . My car didn’t require modifications for rear shocks. Just a thought for you. Available all over the net.

1 hour ago, martybose said:

I seem to recall that Butch's Cool Stuff (the ad at the top of this forum) has a rearend shock package for our cars.

Marty

I’ve seen the butchs rear kit.

i know I can get the spring perches without shock mount online for $20/25 alone.

theyre selling the whole thing for $240 and it suggests that the shock needs to be relocated on the frame, as well as on the axle, using a spring plate with a shock mount tab and what I presume are longer shocks, to make up for the extra few inches of travel.

more complicated than I was hoping.

I got my spring pads for 15.00 from 4 wheel parts. They have a local shop here in Vegas. For the plate I used a piece of 3/8 channel which I mounted the shock to. I boxed the ends for stiffness. I would add pix but I'm in the process of moving and they are packed. I can draw you up a quick plan if you want. Pm me and I'll send it to you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 48hoopty said:

I got my spring pads for 15.00 from 4 wheel parts. They have a local shop here in Vegas. For the plate I used a piece of 3/8 channel which I mounted the shock to. I boxed the ends for stiffness. I would add pix but I'm in the process of moving and they are packed. I can draw you up a quick plan if you want. Pm me and I'll send it to you.

Did you make something like this? These are cheap enough but I don’t want to have to relocate the upper shock mount to the frame if i don’t have to. The original shock mount would be about 4 inches higher than this would sit.

did you use the original shocks?

2F6F0471-8C2B-4FBC-BCE1-FB60BF2C62C7.jpeg

Edited by belvedere666
Added picture

most any 60-70 A body should be able to donate a set of perch mounts....BUT if I am reading you right and your are staying with the skinny springs....the width of the perch in relationship to the u-bolt holes will prevent walking/slipping of the axle under driving conditions.  It is a simple task to remove and repurpose the original perches from you existing to the incoming donor unit...

• Like 1

as an aside to not cutting off the stock perch..going with a wider later model clamp plate with shock mount, keep in mind you can weld in a capture plate for the spring....another easy fix if this suits your needs over cutting the perches from the original.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

This is a quickie drawing. My rear shocks mount to the frame. The lower mount was below the plate originally that's why I . My shock mount is 1/2" so I welded as grade 8 bolt with the head cut off.

Screenshot_20180221-121403.png

Edited by 48hoopty
Pic didn't load