Another 230 build thread

tom'sB2B

I’ve started the process of rebuilding the engine in my 1947 Dodge. I would like to use this thread to ask questions along the way when I can’t find the answer using the the search function. 

The reason for rebuilding this engine is that it had low compression and also the possibility of a cracked block or head.

When I bought the car.a year ago the PO mentioned it might have a cracked block (probably why he sold it so cheap). I brought it home pulled the head gasket and found the cylinders full of coolant. Thought maybe just a bad gasket.Cleaned out the coolant. Drained the pan. Replaced gasket. Drove it for a couple of months. Still had low compression. Would still blow gray smoke sometimes on accelerating. I have dreams of making this car into a reliable, long distance driving car. To rebuild the engine seems to be an inevitability. What the hell. I’m doin it!

7BF2B980-C040-45C5-85FC-FED98B67C3D5.jpeg