B1B ujoints - some feedback

austinsailor

48 and about half of 49 B1B half ton and maybe  3/4 and 1 ton, use a Cleveland U joint. This is the one with the plates on the outer part holding the cups in. 

They have been nearly impossible to find until recently when one of our preferred suppliers started supplying them. Great for them, I'm glad they tried, but they have problems. 

In general, these ujoints are hard to remove and install. The specific problem with these new ones is that the grease fitting is directly in the middle of the joint, pointing straight in the direction of the driveshaft. The 45 degree fitting that comes with it will screw in, but won't clear the shaft. Even if it fit, it's the wrong angle.

I tried to fit a right angle fitting, but the tapered 1/8" pipe thread isn't tapped deep enough to thread in a normal fitting. The metal is so hard, you can't tap it deeper, which might have helped.

at a cost of$100 each, if you buy 2 you are most of the way to buying a new driveshaft. $300 or so will buy a new custom one where I am. Find a yoke from a later transmission and differential, add a new driveshaft and you have an easy to work on, easy to find parts for solution.

i got mine together, but can't grease it. I have a parts truck I'll pull yokes off of later, make a new driveshaft when I have time and replace this mess.

Just an idea that might help someone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just had the same problem. There just isn't enough room to put a grease fitting there at the center. I got a right angle fitting to fit in the front after grinding a bunch off of the top of the fitting. The back u joint I could only get a short, straight fitting to fit, which will be a problem when I need to grease it. The originals had the fitting on the side, angling out so a simple straight fitting worked fine.

This is what I use where the grease gun tip doesn't fit into the recess of the U-joint . The business end is a little cup and you apply some pressure so that the grease will enter the fitting . The large collar slides back so the you can put your normal grease gun tip onto the tool . 

IMG_9219.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

Needle style...

There is also one with a long syringe type tip...

IMG_7570.JPG