Nut bolts engine 218 missing - what size?

Thomba48

Hi - yes, me again with a stupid admission.

I looks like I have a lost a bag with screws and nuts. They are no way to be found. Now, after 3 hrs I have given up. Could anybody help me with letting me know what type and size I need to get for:

Those three nuts that fix the oil filter, the ignition cable etc. to the engine block.

The screw on top of the cylinder head to which the ground cable of the battery is being attached to,

Thanks - and yes I know I am scatterbrained :-) :-(

Thomba, can't help with the exact size bolts & nuts you need but I'd suggest getting a thread gauge at the very least as you could then measure the threads and know what thread size and by also measuring the bolt or hole diameter you'll be able to work out what you need......do you have a UNF and UNC bolt/thread size chart? also even getting a set of taps & dies in UNF/UNC will help you to become familiar with this measurement..........btw what are those things at the end of your legs?..........metres or feet?........I rest my case.........lol.............I have a similar problem here in Oz as everything now is metric which I persist in deriding and refusing to have anywhere near the car.........lol.........andyd  

let me try    5/16 NC  usually short studs with 5/16 NF thread on the outer end for a nut. for the ignition coil bracket (same as your pan rail bolts  will work too)  

3/8 NC for the filter

3/8 NF for the top  special head bolt       of course these are SAE sizes      NC and NF  stands for National Coarse  &  National Fine

Threads into castings are generally  coarse 

• Thanks 2

This maybe not be a possibility for you, but I save and collect every nut and bolt I ever take off any old Mopar or any other old car I come across. I store all of them in 5 old coffee cans and whenever I need a bolt or nut, I can usually find what I need. Some of the bolts on the old cars are special to the specific job they do. A good example of this is the short bolt to attach the positive ground battery cable to the special head bolt threaded to take it. I have several of these........just in case. In all my years working on old cars I think there has only been 2, maybe 3, times I can't find what I need. Usually wire brush and use. I do have new nuts and bolts but prefer using the older parts when I can. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dpollo said:

let me try    5/16 NC  usually short studs with 5/16 NF thread on the outer end for a nut. for the ignition coil bracket (same as your pan rail bolts  will work too)  

3/8 NC for the filter

3/8 NF for the top  special head bolt       of course these are SAE sizes      NC and NF  stands for National Coarse  &  National Fine

Threads into castings are generally  coarse 

thanks

5 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Looks like this.

OHeck.jpg

And this

P6220001_02.jpg

And this

u-bolt.jpg

thanks. Mine is not sooo different. Smaller in number terms. But these particular items I simply can not find anymore. Bugger :-((

well.... Don. in that pile I see the very hard to find High Beam indicator bulb case a front mount U bolt, an ignition ballast resistor, and instrument voltage reg. 

your long lost allen wrench a nice brass hose barb and any number of treasures.  Nice.  want some more ?   signed Envious.