Battery not charging

kd1975

Hi All, 

I've got all the brake parts I need and will be giving them an overhaul with the help of a friend next weekend.

One other issue we've noticed is the battery is keeping the car going when the generator should be charging it - at least I think that's what's supposed to happen.

It's had a 12v conversion and the car has an original kill switch that definitely works but I don't think that is the issue.

Has anyone had this issue or know what I should be checking to work out what the issue is?

Thanks

There might be a shop in your area that can test your generator for you . When you bring it in , bring your regulator too . Is there an amp gauge in your dashboard ? If you increase the engine RPM s the gauge should show a charging battery . If your battery is already fully charged the amp gauge would only show a very slight charging . 

• Like 1

You say it's been converted to 12 volts, is it a 12 volt generator? If so it might need polarizing, check your manual or do a forum search on the procedure.I've done  it but it's been years, back when I had a generator on a Harley.

• Like 1

Maybe the ammeter wasn't changed when the car was converted to 12V.  Easy way to check:  Turn everything off in the car, shut the engine, then turn on headlights only and see if the dashboard ammeter goes to 'charge' or 'discharge'.  If it goes to 'charge',  you have a reversed connection someplace.

• Thanks 1

I was having similar challenges, would charge, wouldn't charge so I drove it to a generator/alternator shop. The alternator was working fine but . . . He backed off a bit then said, tighten the belt, which he and I had checked. I tightened it and bingo. My adjustment arm took me just to the line, New longer arm required. And I'm noticing my battery cables look questionable, so tomorrow new cables with attention to how clean the ground cable is to the engine, gets dirty under there. 

Good luck on your challenge. 

With car running check your voltage at the battery. At idle it won't be much over 12 volts, more likely closer to 11 volts. Rev the engine up 1200 or more and the voltage should be over 12 volts. If not check your connections for security and cleanliness. Voltage regulator of the original can be adjusted with an adjustment screw. Ensure generator belt is tensioned correctly. Might need to "flash" the generator too if there is no output....meaning revving it up and the voltage stays at 12 or less.