Has anyone ever had to deal with a aggressive neighbor?

classiccarjack

4 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

The number 1 cause of death is life. You are going to die anyhow,so you might as well try to enjoy living while you can.

..."Strikes and gutters, ups and downs... the dude abides" ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

You can start with calling the law on them for any real or imagined errors they made,and escalate as needed. 

Why would you do or suggest this?  Why would you try to get the police to act on an "imagined error"?  From personal experience I know that they do not want to nor will they get involved unless there is a crime committed.  Simply calling the police over some civil action which may or may not be a violation is, well, stupid.  

If the codes people have a violation and they don't write it up, why pester the police?

2 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

Why would you do or suggest this?  Why would you try to get the police to act on an "imagined error"?  From personal experience I know that they do not want to nor will they get involved unless there is a crime committed.  Simply calling the police over some civil action which may or may not be a violation is, well, stupid.  

If the codes people have a violation and they don't write it up, why pester the police?

Where did I ever claim that *I* would do that? My personal modes are a little more unorthodox.

AND....,if it is an imagined error,it is IMAGINED. You say "I THINK.......|"

And since when has there had to be an actual crime before the police get involved. Isn't it a part of their job to invistigate POSSIBLE "crimes",including stuff like parking violations and littering?

I quoted you above.  I'm not into games on what you meant or what you would do.  A zoning violation is not a crime.  If the zoning people cannot get the cooperation needed then the county prosecutor might step in.  If a warrant is issued then the police might serve the warrant.  You need to stop watching TV and then ask intelligent questions if you are able.  You are half way there.

51 minutes ago, lonejacklarry said:

I quoted you above.  I'm not into games on what you meant or what you would do.  A zoning violation is not a crime.  If the zoning people cannot get the cooperation needed then the county prosecutor might step in.  If a warrant is issued then the police might serve the warrant.  You need to stop watching TV and then ask intelligent questions if you are able.  You are half way there.

" If a warrant is issued then the police might serve the warrant."

Correct me if I'm wrong bubba,but doesn't that mean the police get involved? Who comes to your house if there is a disturbance complaint made? Who arrests you if they determine the complaint was valid?  Who goes to your house to arrest you if you miss a court appearance?

Everyone calm down here....  Breathe...  

I am taking the necessary steps to avoid fines.  After I get everything wrapped up, I will then decide on whether or not I want to be vigilant with this naughty neighbor.  

PS- this "neighbor" called the Sheriff on me, he was upset that I have one of my Kansas vehicles here...  The Sheriff was not pleased.  A big waste of time and a disservice.  The Sheriff is a great guy, I am glad that I met him.  He will help me if I ask for his wisdom in regards to how to handle the guy next door to me....

• Like 3

19 hours ago, RobertKB said:

Sounds like you have a common-sense Sheriff........the best kind.

Yeah, he is a really sound guy.  I think that the Sheriff's tend to be very bright guys.  I haven't meet one yet that wasn't super cool.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:44 AM, Flatie46 said:

...You get by with a whole lot in the county....

I can tell you that this is not always true.  Living in the middle of San Francisco in a residential, high density, neighborhood, I have had less hassle with the neighbors than most of my friends in the suburbs or small towns here in California.  In particular when it comes to working on my cars.

• 3 months later...

Great news!!!!  I got my permit!!!  Yay!

Quonset Hut will be in the works.

• Like 4

After I get this thing up, I will attempt to finance a steel building  as a work shop.  Then all of my stuff will be concealed.  Then the neighbor can't see any antique cars/trucks to complain about....

2 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

After I get this thing up, I will attempt to finance a steel building  as a work shop.  Then all of my stuff will be concealed.  Then the neighbor can't see any antique cars/trucks to complain about....

He'll probably find something else then...

5 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

He'll probably find something else then...

Possibly, but at least my cars will be out of the elements...

• Like 2

On 7/30/2018 at 12:41 AM, classiccarjack said:

Possibly, but at least my cars will be out of the elements...

so a win-offset situation!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/1/2018 at 8:50 AM, Todd B said:

With all the fires in the past few years I would be putting in a pond with a self contained sprinkler system in.  

Glad to here you got your permits. 

Imagine a pond, with a garage in the middle.  To be 100% fireproof would be dreamy!  

On 7/29/2018 at 12:32 PM, classiccarjack said:

Great news!!!!  I got my permit!!!  Yay!

Quonset Hut will be in the works.

Been following this tread and can sympathize with you. Guess we've all had a neighbor we can't stand. Anyway, would like to see your Quonset Hut, and steel building, when you get them up. 

16 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

Imagine a pond, with a garage in the middle.  To be 100% fireproof would be dreamy!  

I am sure that someone on this forum works or has worked in fire fighting in brush environments and will know far more than I on this, but . . .

Back when I lived in a brush fire prone area I joined a group associated with the sheriff's department to assist in some of issues arising from brush fires. Primary duties were to observe and record all the vehicles and people leaving the fire area (helping generate a list of arson suspects). But on one fire I ended up being a spotter radioing in observations about the fire front in one area. It was quite enlightening. At least for the conditions I observed, the fire spread more from falling and blowing embers than anything else. Seems like mote around a building would do nothing to protect against embers falling out of the sky or being blown into the building by the fire driven wind.

Seems like fire resistant construction with a good sprinkler system (needing, of course its own pump and emergency power supply) would do more than a mote.

Unfortunately today I asked my neighbor in a very polite way to respect the property line in regard to a new set of dirt bikes he brought home tearing across my lawn....he got belligerent as all get out...hollering and yelling I was to stay off his property.  I graciously stepped back and let him rant, and to think they had trees that were felled and I allowed the workers to cross onto my property with the truck to ensure the tree was coached to fall where they want it with rope tied to their truck...I loaded them tools, I have fixed their riding lawn tractor and helped the crew doing work with the trees pull brush and logs.  Live and learn...24 years was a good run I guess.....lol

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Sad 1

Sorry Tim, To hear of the disagreement with your neighbour, ("Good fences make good neighbours"). Probably at one time this proverb would be taken as apolitical.?

It happens I guess....had I encroached purposely which I would never, or accidentally and was asked to refrain from future activity I would have politely apologized and made a point not to violate a man's wishes in regard to the use of his private property.  As he ranted for me never to step foot on his property I replied that I would not and was sorry if I ever caused him any stress by helping with the loan of tools, repair of the mower etc.  I do not even trim overhanging shrubs till I speak with the boundary owners prior.  This guy was really a loose canon. 

• Thanks 1