Has anyone ever had to deal with a aggressive neighbor?

classiccarjack

7 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

I think this kind of code enforcement is different from building code enforcement . it is for compliance of property limitations and restrictions.....

sadly, I have been on the other end of the complaining with our neighbors next door.... in 2009/2010

5a8b335b90ca9_nextdoor(1).thumb.jpg.d555a628234f0df029a0938b49adbc4c.jpg5a8b3363b5b5b_nextdoor(2).thumb.jpg.64eff2e27edae40cfc60cac03f0245a7.jpg

we ended up resolving the problem ourselves.....

(note 236 tires thru out the property)

Resolving the issue amoungst one another is the way to go.  This guy is mentally ill....  Nothing can be resolved.

2 hours ago, RNR1957NYer said:

Hey!  I play the trombone!  (come to think of it, my neighbor has been giving me the skunk eye.....)

You can come buy and practice any time!  I will even buy you some beer...  LOL

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, classiccarjack said:

Resolving the issue amoungst one another is the way to go.  This guy is mentally ill....  Nothing can be resolved.

I hear ya! that is why we were fortunate and resolved it by buying their house and cleaning it up ourselves.

not suggesting anything, just saying........... I got to pick my next neighbors :D

• Like 2

You need some legal protection.  Sounds like your butt-head neighbor is thoroughly familiar with whatever codes are in place where you are, and prides himself on diming out any and all offending parties. He also sounds like a sociopath.  That makes it hard to defend against his actions, he doesn't care if his neighbors think he's an ass-monkey.  But, even if he's right, you can get a protection or restraining order if he's making your life miserable.  Every jurisdiction views them differently, some places they're just paper tigers, other places have meaningful consequences.  One problem, though, he may engage in a tit-for-tat contest if you file something against him.  I'd be wary, he has a personality disorder, how many times has someone like that twisted off, and everyone says later it didn't surprise them?     

• Like 2

build a large barn between your property and his with the low side and full roof in view of his side, paint on the roof in 4 foot letters, ALIENS LAND HERE actually the barn may be enough and will be noted by the erection of a privacy fence by him.   Neighbors can make or break a community.  Is he older, you may just have to outlive the bastard.

• Like 1

I'm not crazy that one of my neighbor's has horses leaving steaming, stinking muffins along the fence line but that's the price we pay for living in paradise. Someone mentioned the local Harley enthusiasts and loud bands.. I've been all of that.. Only had one visit from the police, a county deputy stopped and said he was getting complaints about the noise from over a mile away so we turned the amps and p.a. down to the half-mile setting.. No volume controls on the bikes, though..  :D

Adding..

“With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever.. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.”

Edited by MackTheFinger
  • Thanks 1

I got some options today.  I can permit a very tall fence around my sea containers.  Cost will be approximately $2000 for permit, plus cost of plans, and the fence itself.  Once permitted and approved, I can spend about $1000 per container to obtain permits.  The beauty of this plan is that my stuff stays where it is.  And he can gripe all he wants, I will be in compliance.  Another option is to build a 2000 to 4000 square foot building for storage.

Tomorrow I will visit the county assessor to see if plan A or plan B will affect my property value.  One problem in California is, if you get re-assessed, your taxes will skyrocket!  I may not get to build my dream workshop if that is the case....  Or keep my sea containers....  I don't want to lose Prop 13.

The part that really ticks me off, is that this will set me back, once again, and my dream of getting the 1937 on the road this year won't happen.  Sigh

I hope to keep my collection and get to truly enjoy my hobby before I get...  OLD...  And TIRED...  Stay tuned!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

I'm not crazy that one of my neighbor's has horses leaving steaming, stinking muffins along the fence line but that's the price we pay for living in paradise. Someone mentioned the local Harley enthusiasts and loud bands.. I've been all of that.. Only had one visit from the police, a county deputy stopped and said he was getting complaints about the noise from over a mile away so we turned the amps and p.a. down to the half-mile setting.. No volume controls on the bikes, though..  :D

Adding..

“With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever.. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.”

I grew up with horses, road apples are not a big deal.  Dogs love 'em!  LOL

I hope that you are right, at some point people will realise how aweful this guy is.

16 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

build a large barn between your property and his with the low side and full roof in view of his side, paint on the roof in 4 foot letters, ALIENS LAND HERE actually the barn may be enough and will be noted by the erection of a privacy fence by him.   Neighbors can make or break a community.  Is he older, you may just have to outlive the bastard.

The problem with that is, even if I could afford it, is that he is to stupid to "get it"...  He lives in his own special world.

16 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

You need some legal protection.  Sounds like your butt-head neighbor is thoroughly familiar with whatever codes are in place where you are, and prides himself on diming out any and all offending parties. He also sounds like a sociopath.  That makes it hard to defend against his actions, he doesn't care if his neighbors think he's an ass-monkey.  But, even if he's right, you can get a protection or restraining order if he's making your life miserable.  Every jurisdiction views them differently, some places they're just paper tigers, other places have meaningful consequences.  One problem, though, he may engage in a tit-for-tat contest if you file something against him.  I'd be wary, he has a personality disorder, how many times has someone like that twisted off, and everyone says later it didn't surprise them?     

He is a sociopath, and a narcissist.  He actually believes that my property somehow affects his peace and tranquility.  He can't even see my car's and sea containers from his house!  What a prick!  He trespasses on the property next door and spies on us.  Gives us the Willie's!

Once I am 100% code compliant, I think that I should return the favor. I think that he needs some things to keep him busy in order to stop worrying about us.  Maybe just maybe, if it breaks his bank, he will learn to leave kind helpful people alone.  I am the type that helps people, and I don't care what my neighbors do, and keep to myself.  But if you hurt me, or my family, I will be sure to return the favor.  We didn't deserve this....  

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 8:42 PM, Brent B3B said:

I hear ya! that is why we were fortunate and resolved it by buying their house and cleaning it up ourselves.

not suggesting anything, just saying........... I got to pick my next neighbors :D

Believe me, I dream about it!  I want a car guy living there.  Someone who will hang out and do Junkyard runs together.  Come to car shows with me...  Even if the guy builds Euro stuff.  I don't care, I just want to have a fun cool neighbor.

1 hour ago, classiccarjack said:

Believe me, I dream about it!  I want a car guy living there.  Someone who will hang out and do Junkyard runs together.  Come to car shows with me...  Even if the guy builds Euro stuff.  I don't care, I just want to have a fun cool neighbor.

lot of the Euro stuff is actually fun.....goodly portion of it will never go out of style....

Horses always drop their apples in the same location. Observe them to determine their habits, change the environment  just prior to their arrival to force them elsewhere. They will not return. A radio with harsh drum music turned low might do the trick. If he has dogs and you do not, play HIGH sounds to annoy his dogs at night, keep them awake while you sleep, get some of Plymouthy's pet armadillos and turn them loose at night, or maybe an old feral pig. Hide an automatic cat feeder on his property an refill it each night, got to get quietly creative. Plant a off set dual row of columnar evergreen trees with a row of popular trees, thebpopular trees will out grow the evergreen trees but the evergreen trees will out live the popular trees. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 9:44 PM, classiccarjack said:

The sheriff is offering to help me get a restraining order against him.  This guy is something else.

Code enforcement wants money, once this sort of thing begins, I will have a long hard uphill battle to fight.  I asked them to come out, do an inspection, and tell me if I am not compliant or if I am in compliance.  They told me that they can't come out for that.  Sigh. 

if compliance won't come out to inspect, then it's all hearsay and you owe nothing...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

I got some options today.  I can permit a very tall fence around my sea containers.  Cost will be approximately $2000 for permit, plus cost of plans, and the fence itself.  Once permitted and approved, I can spend about $1000 per container to obtain permits.  The beauty of this plan is that my stuff stays where it is.  And he can gripe all he wants, I will be in compliance.  Another option is to build a 2000 to 4000 square foot building for storage.

Tomorrow I will visit the county assessor to see if plan A or plan B will affect my property value.  One problem in California is, if you get re-assessed, your taxes will skyrocket!  I may not get to build my dream workshop if that is the case....  Or keep my sea containers....  I don't want to lose Prop 13.

The part that really ticks me off, is that this will set me back, once again, and my dream of getting the 1937 on the road this year won't happen.  Sigh

I hope to keep my collection and get to truly enjoy my hobby before I get...  OLD...  And TIRED...  Stay tuned!

Okay , now at least you have options and know where you stand with the Law of the local government.

I know it's not a cheap solution, but you can now have peace of mind knowing what is needed to tolerate an intolerable meddling neighbor.

California sure is proud of their permits!

I was griping about a $150.00 building permit...ill stop griping now. With permits that expensive how can they be broke??

I put a pool in a few years ago. I swear I didn't even think about a permit when I did it, it really never dawned on me. I guess I was just caught up in  the task of the construction. A guy down the road stopped last week and was asking me a few questions, said he was starting one in the spring. He mentioned the permit. I said "ooops"!  What's the penalty if I didn't get one? He said they can fine you $100 bucks then you would have to buy the permit. I said well ill try my luck and live on the "outlaw side". :cool: I've got by with it for 5years, we'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatie46 said:

I was griping about a $150.00 building permit...ill stop griping now. With permits that expensive how can they be broke??

I put a pool in a few years ago. I swear I didn't even think about a permit when I did it, it really never dawned on me. I guess I was just caught up in  the task of the construction. A guy down the road stopped last week and was asking me a few questions, said he was starting one in the spring. He mentioned the permit. I said "ooops"!  What's the penalty if I didn't get one? He said they can fine you $100 bucks then you would have to buy the permit. I said well ill try my luck and live on the "outlaw side". :cool: I've got by with it for 5years, we'll see.

I would pay the fine and get a permit. If a kid would climb in and drown a good attorney would bury you without proper permit on file. 

1 hour ago, Todd B said:

I would pay the fine and get a permit. If a kid would climb in and drown a good attorney would bury you without proper permit on file. 

You may be right. Lime I said, never thought about it till the neighbor stopped.  We've listed it on the insurance policy. Its actually in fence within a fence. I've got a blue heeler in the outer fence that would chew the nuts off a brass monkey. A kid or burglar might jump in the pool to get away from the dog and drown. 

Is there really a such thing as a " good lawyer"??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Annoying neighbors can really get under your skin. My wife and I recently moved. The old neighbors were not the reason, yet we surely are glad to have them out of our sight. Such a great feeling to come home and  not see an aggrivating neighbor. I sympathize with the original poster here. There is often no easy solution. Even if rectified, the site of the person when you come home every day is like a thorn. 

I hope he moves on someday. Good luck. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2018 at 10:28 AM, Flatie46 said:

Yeah, I am thinking of talking to my code enforcement folks in regards to my Kansas property.  Perhaps I can get a good storage site built there and begin moving my stuff....

On 2/22/2018 at 5:48 PM, keithb7 said:

Annoying neighbors can really get under your skin. My wife and I recently moved. The old neighbors were not the reason, yet we surely are glad to have them out of our sight. Such a great feeling to come home and  not see an aggrivating neighbor. I sympathize with the original poster here. There is often no easy solution. Even if rectified, the site of the person when you come home every day is like a thorn. 

I hope he moves on someday. Good luck. 

Thanks Keith, I help everyone I know.  I just can't understand why this guy had to move next to us...

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger I suppose....  Sigh

On 2/23/2018 at 5:30 AM, linus6948 said:

To quote the Poet Robert Frost "Good fences make good neighbors."

Oh so true, so true...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

Oh so true, so true...

Had a new neighbor move in next to my primary residence 12-15 years ago. He and his OL were talking to me right after they moved in, the guy said his wife wouldn't let him have a Harley and I immediately repeated what I've always heard, "What you need is a new OL." She pipes up "I'm a trauma nurse, I know what motorcycles can do." Next day the surveyors were out and the privacy fence was up within a week.. Old double bubble didn't hang around long and that neighbor was gone in less than a year.. Me and the fence are still here..

The horses are at my other place and I really don't mind them.. Sometimes I'm not fond of the flies.. One of them, the horses, not the flies; has me and my wife trained. We always have an apple for her.. :D

I sincerely hope things work out with your neighbor.. He sounds like someone I wouldn't like and I can get along with practically anyone..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

She pipes up "I'm a trauma nurse, I know what motorcycles can do."  

Apparently, she never saw what injuries automobiles can inflict.  Must have been a small hospital.  Anyhow, I think you did the right thing--I wouldn't want a person like that around either.

• Like 2