Has anyone ever had to deal with a aggressive neighbor?

classiccarjack

Hello all, 

Despite my efforts to be kind and not trouble my nosey neighbor, he constantly calls the sheriff on us regarding our vehicles.  He just stepped it up and has gotten code enforcement involved.  He has driven out two home owners below us.  And he has trespassed the neighbors  property and dug roads into it with his tractor.  Amoungst other things.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to protect my family and hobby from this predator?

Well, first of all, are you within the code restrictions for your property?  If you are in compliance then there should only be one visit from those folks.

Same with the sheriff's office.  If you are in compliance then you should have nothing to worry about.  If he escalates the problem, then consider a solution.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Offer to help him with any mechanical problems he might have with his vehicles. 

I tried, he scoffed at the idea. He seems to think that using hammers and chisels to destroy fasteners in order to remove them is superior than using a proper tool.  The last time I witnessed this, I brought the correct sized socket to help.  He basically called me an idiot, and handed the socket back.  I can't reason with this guy.  Every attempt to help him is declined.  

My other neighbors are happy that I help them out, none of them like the guy either....   Sigh...

Just keep the religious radio channel going so he can always hear it-not too loud though.

Don't do anything to tick him off (except the radio) and be a good  law abiding citizen.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lonejacklarry said:

Well, first of all, are you within the code restrictions for your property?  If you are in compliance then there should only be one visit from those folks.

Same with the sheriff's office.  If you are in compliance then you should have nothing to worry about.  If he escalates the problem, then consider a solution.

The sheriff is offering to help me get a restraining order against him.  This guy is something else.

Code enforcement wants money, once this sort of thing begins, I will have a long hard uphill battle to fight.  I asked them to come out, do an inspection, and tell me if I am not compliant or if I am in compliance.  They told me that they can't come out for that.  Sigh. 

5 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Just keep the religious radio channel going so he can always hear it-not too loud though.

Don't do anything to tick him off (except the radio) and be a good  law abiding citizen.:lol:

That...  Is funny

I do realize hoe serious this problem is... my brother and his wife have a huge neighbor issue too as does one of my friends.

The police and lawyers have been used to try to help their situations.

Seems the low life neighbors still pull their BS and the cops and courts don't seem to care much till someone gets seriously hurt these days.

About 5 years ago two neighbors had been  bickering about property line locations for some time...one of the neighbors killed the other two and hid their bodies for a couple months till the two brothers were found.

Two people lost their lives over a property line dispute. The authorities had been called several times to calm the two sides too.

I hate neighbor issues, a good relationship with your neighbors is priceless.  I'm blessed where I am now but I don't own the surrounding properties so it could change.  You could handle it a hundred different ways. If you choose to make it a pisssin' contest you have to be prepared to piss the farthest at all costs.  Some people have a lot of time to devote to the aggravation of others. I would figure out the codes enforcement, either get in spec or know the loopholes well.  Ask others that have been through it in your area.  Where I live there is a big difference when you live in the county and when you live in the city.  You get by with a whole lot in the county.  I know a guy that had several cars and codes enforcement cracked on him. The loophole he found was if they were current in registration and insurance they couldn't bother him.  So he got antique tags on his parts cars, which is a one time permanent tag ( costs the same as a reg tag). He also got collector policy on them which was cheap ( limited mileage lol) . When in spec they couldn't bother him,  said he would let the insurance policy lapse but if they asked again he would re-up it,  the tags were forever.  You might get to cover your vehicles under a farm  policy.  

I would meet with the other neighbors and get all working together on this. He might decide he doesn't like the neighborhood as much as he thought.  Stay within the law and use it to your advantage let him make the mistakes.  Tree's, privacy fence, chain link fence may help. Make sure the fence is on your side of the line though.  Might want to talk to a lawyer. Good luck with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DON’T give in and move like the other neighbors did. That just gives him more of an attitude. Form an alliance with all the neighbors and make sure he is aware of your strong willed togetherness and he will be the one that will be leaving. 

My guess he is just a little guy that is trying to make himself feel big.  I knew a few of those guys in the past.  Like someone else stated, to bad you can’t fix this with your fists. 

• Like 2

"figure out the codes enforcement, either get in spec or know the loopholes well."

I agree, learn the codes and use them as best you can.

Find out if you can raise hogs and pen them on his side of your property.

Chickens too with an early morning rooster.

Another option is to have weekend B-B Q's with the local Harley enthusiasts.

During the week too, what the heck.

You could also start a heavy metal band and practice in the garage or better, a shed near his property line.

Do you plat the trombone?

Might be time to start.

Oh, get some security cameras and aim them at yours and his property line.

Edited by BigDaddyO
Add comment
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigDaddyO said:

"figure out the codes enforcement, either get in spec or know the loopholes well."

I agree, learn the codes and use them as best you can.

Find out if you can raise hogs and pen them on his side of your property.

Chickens too with an early morning rooster.

Another option is to have weekend B-B Q's with the local Harley enthusiasts.

During the week too, what the heck.

You could also start a heavy metal band and practice in the garage or better, a shed near his property line.

Might be time to start.

Oh, get some security cameras and aim them at yours and his property line.

Good advice!

20 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

The sheriff is offering to help me get a restraining order against him.  This guy is something else.

Code enforcement wants money, once this sort of thing begins, I will have a long hard uphill battle to fight.  I asked them to come out, do an inspection, and tell me if I am not compliant or if I am in compliance.  They told me that they can't come out for that.  Sigh. 

Code enforcement won't come out to check out the complaint? I don't understand that. In my area they serve the public.....

More and more I am thankful we live in a small city and town.

good luck

Edited by Brent B3B
Spell check correction

I lived next door to someone like this felt sorry for him as he wasn't mentally all there. Who is. I explained to him I was friendly and a happy to help neighbor however if he crossed the line and upset me , my wife or family that he would be the sorry party. I then once again I explained to him I was friendly and happy to help. After that his random rants stopped and annoying call the cops for everything stopped too. Time for a stern word.

Edited by Silver Streak
Spelling
  • Like 3

Cameras are sometimes the root cause of neighbor disputes these days. They can antagonize the neighbor that's on the edge.

Be careful how you aim them too... never into the neighbors windows or directly at their property entrances or doors..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

if the guy is a crotchy ole buzzard and married too boot....just start calling the local call girl number and give them his address.....:lol:  order a few pizza's in his name also....

In addition to adding a very large pair of panties  shut in the passenger side door of his truck so that they hang out, then bring it to his wife's attention you noticed something there. lol

You guys are great!  LOL

I wish that I could settle things man to man, but this is California.  If someone is a antagonist, and harasses you, and then you fight back, you "the victim" becomes the bad guy.  

I called one of his kids today, and we talked about it.  My neighbor hides his wierdness from his family.  His son was surprised to hear about this, and confessed that his dad is stubborn, he knows that there is not much we can do.  He is very apologetic about the whole situation.  I don't want to spoil my friendship with the son by combatting his nutty father....  SIGH 

I will have to visit code enforcement and see what I can sort out.  This is going to cost me big!  Bummer...

I am confused why you should pay for the code enforcement. Isn’t that a community service???  Maybe you could tell them you are here illegally and the government would protect you more and take care of the legal fees. 

I sure love Wisconsin, until this thread I never heard of a group called “Code Enforcement” and I have been building for 35 years. 

3 hours ago, Todd B said:

I sure love Wisconsin, until this thread I never heard of a group called “Code Enforcement” and I have been building for 35 years. 

I think this kind of code enforcement is different from building code enforcement . it is for compliance of property limitations and restrictions.....

sadly, I have been on the other end of the complaining with our neighbors next door.... in 2009/2010

5a8b335b90ca9_nextdoor(1).thumb.jpg.d555a628234f0df029a0938b49adbc4c.jpg5a8b3363b5b5b_nextdoor(2).thumb.jpg.64eff2e27edae40cfc60cac03f0245a7.jpg

we ended up resolving the problem ourselves.....

(note 236 tires thru out the property)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brent B3B said:

I think this kind of code enforcement is different from building code enforcement . it is for compliance of property limitations and restrictions.....

sadly, I have been on the other end of the complaining with our neighbors next door.... in 2009/2010

we ended up resolving the problem ourselves.....

(note 236 tires thru out the property)

Is that a prophylactic plantation?:wub:  OK I am off to sit in the corner and take someones place.

Further to Frank Elder's solution  - To quote  Mike Tyson, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" ;)

• Like 2

On 2/18/2018 at 11:50 AM, BigDaddyO said:

Might be time to start.

Hey!  I play the trombone!  (come to think of it, my neighbor has been giving me the skunk eye.....)

• Like 2