Has anyone ever had to deal with a aggressive neighbor?

classiccarjack

1 hour ago, T120 said:

The time will come for me when I have to give up riding a heavy bike and I've given it some thought. I spoke with someone the other day in the same circumstances. He is not ready yet to give up riding altogether but is considering buying a lighter bike for the same reason.

There's always the trike option. The latest generation Harley trikes are pretty nice. I like how they've drop the rear and really lowered the center of gravity. I wouldn't be interested in one at this point but maybe someday. An old servicar,  love to have one now!  Neighbor down the road has slowly been building a basket case for years. I donated a horn to his cause. He also has an original paint 1930 Indian.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, T120 said:

The time will come for me when I have to give up riding a heavy bike and I've given it some thought. I spoke with someone the other day in the same circumstances. He is not ready yet to give up riding altogether but is considering buying a lighter bike for the same reason.

I purchased my Sportster when it was new.  I will keep it forever, after all, I built it to suit my needs over the past 15 years. 

I located the engine out of my first bike build from 1992 and purchased it.  I plan on putting this Evo big twin into a larger bike configuration.  I am leaning on building a fat boy....  I can build a Softail cheaper than a FXR...  So that's my dream after I get my Plymouth done.

The sporty is light and I can manhandle it well.  It is the only motorcycle that I purchased "new" from a dealership.  I can't part with it willingly.

15 hours ago, iowa51 said:

Best thing I did with my not so neighborly neighbor was to have my property surveyed and found the actual property lines. Gained 4 trees (that he had planted on "his" property) and he was pissed!

This guy planted trees on our property, in the middle of the driveway...  Sigh

5 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

There's always the trike option. The latest generation Harley trikes are pretty nice. I like how they've drop the rear and really lowered the center of gravity. I wouldn't be interested in one at this point but maybe someday. An old servicar,  love to have one now!  Neighbor down the road has slowly been building a basket case for years. I donated a horn to his cause. He also has an original paint 1930 Indian.

Ahhh...  45" of raw v twin power, 3 speed trans with reverse....  Not exactly a 65 MPH machine, but they run great and are fun to ride.  I love how they look too...

I feel the pain...I had a thread about a year ago about the neighbor by the back of our property claiming I did this and that...oddly I'm back there may be 6 times a year just looking to the care of the trees...someday when I have a spare $1000 I will get a survey and place a CONCRETE corner marker back there and shut his face up.  The look on his face when he's (likely) wrong will be worth it.  Soon tho, I'll have to put up cameras to make sure his kid(s) stays off my wooded property. as the oldest will be 6 or 8 soon and wandering around...then the cops can get involved with trespassing as he was told to stay off my side after his shenanigans..

7 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

I purchased my Sportster when it was new.  I will keep it forever, after all, I built it to suit my needs over the past 15 years. 

I located the engine out of my first bike build from 1992 and purchased it.  I plan on putting this Evo big twin into a larger bike configuration.  I am leaning on building a fat boy....  I can build a Softail cheaper than a FXR...  So that's my dream after I get my Plymouth done.

The sporty is light and I can manhandle it well.  It is the only motorcycle that I purchased "new" from a dealership.  I can't part with it willingly.

I've had several sportster's over the years. My first Harley was a '57 Sportster, kick only, the distributor had been replaced with a magneto like the XLCH's ran. It was high compression with a performance cams ( never knew what they were) it was really hard to start. Magneto's don't make much fire when turned slow. And its hard to turn an engine fast with a kicker and 11-1's. Lol

When she did fire it would fly. Really a fast bike. Too fast for the drum brakes it had.

Evo's are great engine's, possibly the best designed engine Harley has produced. I think you will be happy with it, good luck with your build.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 4:50 AM, Flatie46 said:

I've had several sportster's over the years. My first Harley was a '57 Sportster, kick only, the distributor had been replaced with a magneto like the XLCH's ran. It was high compression with a performance cams ( never knew what they were) it was really hard to start. Magneto's don't make much fire when turned slow. And its hard to turn an engine fast with a kicker and 11-1's. Lol

When she did fire it would fly. Really a fast bike. Too fast for the drum brakes it had.

Evo's are great engine's, possibly the best designed engine Harley has produced. I think you will be happy with it, good luck with your build.

The Evo I reclaimed is a 80" big twin with Delcron cases. I am not sure if I should leave it as a 80", or make it into a 96"...  Sigh. Decisions decisions!

If I use a Softail chassis, I will need as much torque as I can get to lug the heavy thing around.  If I score a FXR, different story, those things are the best I ever rode period.

On 3/1/2018 at 4:50 AM, Flatie46 said:

Your 1957 sounded amazing!  And what a beauty it must have been.  I loved the way the 1957 looked. I dream someday of finding a K Model, all original.

My personal interest in Harleys ends with the shovelhead. I've had a few later models pass through my hands but nothing that made much impression. I wouldn't bother increasing the displacement in the Evo too much. Longer stroke engines put too much side thrust on the pistons.. 

On 2/18/2018 at 11:50 AM, BigDaddyO said:

"figure out the codes enforcement, either get in spec or know the loopholes well."

I agree, learn the codes and use them as best you can.

Find out if you can raise hogs and pen them on his side of your property.

Chickens too with an early morning rooster.

Another option is to have weekend B-B Q's with the local Harley enthusiasts.

During the week too, what the heck.

You could also start a heavy metal band and practice in the garage or better, a shed near his property line.

Do you plat the trombone?

Might be time to start.

Oh, get some security cameras and aim them at yours and his property line.

It might also be a splendid time to develop an interest in collecting and running old 'Hit and Miss' engines and machinery.

Edited by BigDaddyO
Speling.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, MackTheFinger said:

My personal interest in Harleys ends with the shovelhead. I've had a few later models pass through my hands but nothing that made much impression. I wouldn't bother increasing the displacement in the Evo too much. Longer stroke engines put too much side thrust on the pistons.. 

The 113" and 117"  S&S  evo based engines seem to hold up well under abuse. They were offered as the standard engine in a lot of the hot rod choppers like the Ultra ground pounders. Even offered with a warranty. I've known people that have abused  the 113" engines.  The engine itself never give any problem it was the clutch,  primary and further down the drive line that would have issues from the beating.  I have been told the bigger  strokers will beat dents In the bearings if you lug them.

I do understand how your interest and point of view on  the Shovel's,  nothing beats the sound or feel.  They are my favorite.  I think that engine is where the statement  " if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand " comes from. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

The 113" and 117"  S&S  evo based engines seem to hold up well under abuse. They were offered as the standard engine in a lot of the hot rod choppers like the Ultra ground pounders. Even offered with a warranty. I've known people that have abused  the 113" engines.  The engine itself never give any problem it was the clutch,  primary and further down the drive line that would have issues from the beating.  I have been told the bigger  strokers will beat dents In the bearings if you lug them.

I do understand how your interest and point of view on  the Shovel's,  nothing beats the sound or feel.  They are my favorite.  I think that engine is where the statement  " if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand " comes from. 

I agree, the big inch strokers don't seem to have much trouble, or at least no more than you'd expect from any hot rodded motor. I've owned a bunch of BMW's, Moto Guzzis, and British motorcycles and currently have a Twin Cam bike, too. They all have their good and bad points but I really love shovelheads. Maybe it's all the years I've ridden them but they just feel right to me. The Evo and Twin Cam Harleys are kinda like BMW's to me. Great motorcycles, good power and dependability, but not much "Fahrfegnugen". 

I just noticed you have an '83 FXR... That is a GREAT motorcycle, maybe the best H-D of all time..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 5:37 PM, BigDaddyO said:

It might also be a splendid time to develop an interest in collecting and running old 'Hit and Miss' engines and machinery.

Impressive big engine!  How did they time it to run like that?  Wow...

My neighbor in Kansas has small hit and miss "single cylinder" to pump his oil well.

On 3/18/2018 at 5:19 AM, linus6948 said:

This is one I`ve never seen before, it is a really good idea. very effective in my opinion.

Love it!!!

Latest news...  Bought a Quonset Hut. Next step involves lots of trips to the planning department.  If it's legal, the neighbor can just pucker up!!!  LOL 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎05 at 6:37 PM, BigDaddyO said:

Strangely enough I did not know there were diesel hit and miss engines. I've seen some quite large gas hit and miss engines but never a diesel. I don't think this one would pass modern pollution regulations.:eek:  I sure would love to see and feel it run as it apparently shakes the ground according to what I googled about it. Certainly be a great obnoxious neighbour deterrent! Just fire it up when they are downwind of you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RobertKB said:

Strangely enough I did not know there were diesel hit and miss engines.

A local club has a single cylinder diesel that was used to run an air compressor for the building of the Holland Tunnel, then it was used with a snow making machine at a ski resort, and then donated to the club. It took them several years to get it running again (in part because of the massive footings and mounting base for it)

and it purrs like a kitten now. I believe the cylinder bore is around 15 inches or so and it shakes the ground when it runs.

And the tunnel doesn't go to Holland, it links NYC and Jersey City, N.J.

Edited by BigDaddyO
Added content
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 10:36 PM, classiccarjack said:

I tried, he scoffed at the idea. He seems to think that using hammers and chisels to destroy fasteners in order to remove them is superior than using a proper tool.  The last time I witnessed this, I brought the correct sized socket to help.  He basically called me an idiot, and handed the socket back.  I can't reason with this guy.  Every attempt to help him is declined.  

My other neighbors are happy that I help them out, none of them like the guy either....   Sigh...

Some people are just not happy unless they are unhappy. The only solution to this is to offer to provide them a level of unhappy they can't live with,but this only works if it's obvious you mean it. You can start with calling the law on them for any real or imagined errors they made,and escalate as needed.

If for whatever reasons you can't bring it up to a level where he either stops harassing you or you can't pressure him enough to make  him sell out and move,your only two options are to either live with it or sell out and move yourself.

Life is too short to allow yourself to become stressed out every day.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 6:55 PM, Brent B3B said:

Code enforcement won't come out to check out the complaint? I don't understand that. In my area they serve the public.....

More and more I am thankful we live in a small city and town.

good luck

Could be they are already burnt out on him after dealing with him twice already. Sometimes if the guy is a real nutcase,they just want to avoid him.

You could always try to file a suit against the code enforcement office,but you REALLY need to make sure all YOUR ducks are lined up in a row before you do that.

On 2/20/2018 at 7:58 AM, Dan Hiebert said:

You need some legal protection.  Sounds like your butt-head neighbor is thoroughly familiar with whatever codes are in place where you are, and prides himself on diming out any and all offending parties. He also sounds like a sociopath.  That makes it hard to defend against his actions, he doesn't care if his neighbors think he's an ass-monkey.  But, even if he's right, you can get a protection or restraining order if he's making your life miserable.  Every jurisdiction views them differently, some places they're just paper tigers, other places have meaningful consequences.  One problem, though, he may engage in a tit-for-tat contest if you file something against him.  I'd be wary, he has a personality disorder, how many times has someone like that twisted off, and everyone says later it didn't surprise them?     

There was a guy that retired from the Navy and moved to the next county over a few years ago that wanted to make it his life's mission to make sure everybody kept their lawns cut to a uniform height,had no unlicensed cars on their property,kept their houses painted,etc,etc,etc. This is a rural area that had pretty lax zoning because in most cases nobody really lived next door to anybody else. Everybody had room to breathe.

Then this guy started driving all around the county with his camera and his notebook,and insisting the zoning department follow up on his leads and take action. He even appeared on local tv bragging about how "I am determined to clean up this county." He even caused trouble for one guy I know who had been running a welding business next door to his house for maybe 40 years,and his father ran it there before him. He wasn't up to code. No handicapped parking,no public restrooms,too much scrap metal laying around in plain view,grass needed cutting out back,etc,etc,etc. Keep in mind this guy owned a small farm,and had no close neighbors to complain. In addition to all that,this was the first time anybody complained. It cost him several hundred dollars and several lost days of work to bring things up to code to avoid the fines.

I'm not exactly sure what happened to the Navy guy after the tv appearance,where he vowed to start driving around the adjoining counties and clean them up after cleaning up the county he just moved to. He literally disappeared. Nobody has seen or heard from him since,and his property was sold to someone else. I asked the people I know that live in that county,and none of them know what happened to him,although everybody is happy he is gone.

I strongly suspect somebody he knew wasn't kidding whispered some words of wisdom in his ear,though.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 7:56 PM, TodFitch said:

You will always find antidotal evidence of anything so if you go by that you'll end up believing whatever you want to believe however fallacious it is with regards to your actual odds of being injured or dying. Look at the odds (statistics) for injury or death for various ways to travel, etc. These change with time as demographics and technology change so look at as recent a set of statistics as you can. For example, violent crime rates in the US have, on average, been dropping for a couple of few decades now and on a per population basis we are about as safe now as we were in the 1950s and 1960s.

A quick web search indicates that in recent years on a per mile traveled basis you are about 35 times more likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car. And, on a per vehicle basis, a motorcycle is about 5 times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident than a car. Bus, train or airplane (including private airplane) are all safer ways to travel than either motorcycle or car. For motor vehicles there are currently about 43,000 deaths per year and about 2.9 million injuries in the US.

Regarding home invasion robberies, "on average, household members became victims of violent crimes in about 266,560 burglaries annually. Offenders known to their victims accounted for 65% of these burglaries; strangers accounted for 28%." See: https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt Interesting that in nearly 2/3 of the instances, you would have needed to protect yourself from someone you know.

Anyway, comparing number motor vehicle injuries per year to home invasion victims per year, your odds are nearly 11:1 better at home than on the road. And if your family and friends are decent people (so you aren't part of that 65% who know their home invasion attackers), you are even safer at home.

You may decide not to follow your safest option for whatever reason. But you should make that decision consciously. For example, I like to drive, so I am more likely to drive than take the bus even if the bus is safer. And the new car with its radar based pre-collision braking system, its crumple zones, its side curtain air bags, etc is a lot safer than my 84 year old car with its "safety steel body". But I'll still drive the old cart because I really enjoy it. But I'm not going to claim it is a safe way to get around and I am going to be consciously concentrating on my defensive driving skills to help mitigate a bit of the odds of being injured or dying in an accident in it.

The number 1 cause of death is life. You are going to die anyhow,so you might as well try to enjoy living while you can.

On 2/28/2018 at 4:29 AM, Frank Elder said:

Had a good friend survive 3 motorbike accidents....2 of them serious....but one day at work he tried tipping a dr pepper machine for some free drinks. He had done this on numerous occasions without incident.....he couldn't keep his footing slipped and the machine fully loaded at 800 lbs crushed him.

So you never know when or how........

None of those doctors came out of that machine to help him?