Frame swap advice

I’m nearly ready to start a Dakota frame swap with my ‘48 1/2 ton. I’ve read over what the search brought up, and I’m no stranger worth fabbing stuff and welding. 

For those that have done this, is there any advice that you could give? This’ll be the first time I’ve  done a major job like this.

Thanks!

Get your hub to hub measurements right...the cross measurements even....the frame height even front to back....and firewall figured out ahead of time. There's more....but my wife wants me to load groceries....lol

48D

It probably won't... Far easier to make your measurements, and fabricate your cab mounts where they need to be. And unless your frame is swiss cheese you really don't need to swap. Dakota is a somewhat popular 'clip' to use. Just cut and weld the Dakota front clip to your frame. Rear suspension is leaf spring so no issue there. Then everything fits

My frame is bent on the front, and has cracks here and there in the rear half. I have the Dakota, so I figured just swap it all over. Once I’ve got the Dak frame stripped and I can get a good look at things, I can figure out how to go about it. But I won’t be using the stock frame.

I did the Dakota swap. depending on the year of your Dakota the frame could be welded under the cab. I took mine apart and cut 16 inches out. I put a 318 with a 727 trans in mine. I had to extend my motor mounts forward and still had to cut out and rebuild my firewall.my Dakota was a 1987 the back cab mounts worked fine had to shorten the front ones about 2 inches. if u put a newer model motor in u will need a new radiator. the old one is 4 lbs. of pressure. you will have 16 pounds or so . the original radiator wont hold the pressure. also I had to lift the front so it didn't look like the fenders swallowed the tires. its a lot of work.