new guy's 1947 WD-21

FlyingEagle

I know what a draft tube is, but they usually go into the crankcase. This looks like it goes into water jacket around cylinder. Below is what I usually see.

DSC01690.JPG

Edited by FlyingEagle

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for my flathead ignorance. They are quite different than most engines (OHV) I am familiar with. A factory hole in the side of a block in most (that I have seen) would be a freeze plug. I did get to see the flathead draft tube in person today. I found a backup/replacement engine for the truck. It is in a '53 car with auto. Supposedly ran about 5 years ago. Parked because guy got car in divorce, but woman got title. Turns over by hand. Length measured the same as mine, so might be a 218. Complete carb to pan. Couldn't think of a better trade for a rolled '96 S10. I'm still working on my engine. Used a prybar against each valve spring. Only #2 intake is stuck. Finally got it to twist, but won't move up & down. That with #2 cyl  still sticking, means I'm likely pulling the engine. #2 is at BDC & intake open. Never had a stuck engine be this stubborn.

Thanks for the diagram and photo. i appreciate it.

I am the proud owner of a newer engine that turns. It is a P25, so could be a 218 or 230. Don't know if it means anything, but there was a diamond before P25 and a star after. The PO said the car was a '53 and it came with an auto trans. In my experience, a truck engine usually had heavier internals than a car engine. Hopefully it will move this truck ok. I want to keep this truck as stock as possible, so thinking about swapping everything 1947 onto this engine. Will test fire before swapping.  Not a fan of autos, so look for it in classifieds.

Sorry, no photo. Darn camera broke.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just stumbled on this thread - definitely a steal of a deal. I recently picked up basically the same truck for a whole lot more $. Looks to be a fairly straight body with a great patina. My research indicates that the cowl vent and vent windows were indeed upgrades.

One thing that you will want to take a look at is the transmission. The one ton trucks came with a non-synchro four speed- mine was shot. I picked up a newer synchronized four speed along with a 25” Spitfire Engine - after going back and forth about upgrading the drivetrain, I decided to keep close to original yet make a daily driver.

Any progress with the new engine?

9 hours ago, Jomani said:

Just stumbled on this thread - definitely a steal of a deal. I recently picked up basically the same truck for a whole lot more $. Looks to be a fairly straight body with a great patina. My research indicates that the cowl vent and vent windows were indeed upgrades.

One thing that you will want to take a look at is the transmission. The one ton trucks came with a non-synchro four speed- mine was shot. I picked up a newer synchronized four speed along with a 25” Spitfire Engine - after going back and forth about upgrading the drivetrain, I decided to keep close to original yet make a daily driver.

Any progress with the new engine?

vent windows were optional through part of the 39-47 series. They all had a cowl vent though. 

Thanks for the clarification. I read an ardvertisement that talked about cowl/cab options - possibly talking about COE vs. standard cab?

How Stuff Works had an interesting article about the 46 Dodge trucks. They listed the following as extra cost options - nothing about vent windows - possibly no additional cost?

Extra-cost equipment included a larger clutch, four-speed transmission, oversize tires, electric driver's wiper, heater, chrome windshield frame, adjustable visor, driver's armrest, dome light, turn signals, "airfoam" seat with leather upholstery, and --- real luxury this -- an AM radio.”

Edited by Jomani

not sure on that. I know the later COEs had a door added at the front but I believe that was for engine access not cab cooling. I've seen most of those options but no idea about an AM radio. There certainly isn't a spot in the dash for one. I've got electric wipers for my truck along with arm rests, dome light, heater, and the air seat. Dads 40 plymouth came with the 4spd but he swapped it over to his 46  

• 2 years later...