Carpel Tunnel damage

pflaming

March 8 I am scheduled for neurological testing of both wrists and hands. My right hand is severe, the fingers go numb fast. Wrenching really sets it off as does screw driver work. This is not a complaint just a fact of my life.

Question, how many of you have had this problem and what kind of relief have you received and how much relief did you get?

In my 30 plus years as an electrician I saw a lot of this happen to a lot of guys due to the nature of the work. Many opted for the wrist surgery and had the problem successfully corrected, others wore wrist braces to get thru the workday. As for myself I always followed the advice given by Norm Abrams of This Old House which was basically to never use a hand tool when a power tool was available to do the job.

It was good advice and I bought my first cordless screwdriver and cordless drill back in the early 80`s and always used them whenever possible, it sure saved me from a lot of "wear and tear" on my wrists.

I have also carried that over to my car hobby, I use  cordless impact guns in both 3/8 and 1/2 whenever possible. I might have to break loose a bolt with a socket wrench or breaker bar but I will finish it`s removal with a cordless gun. Same for putting back in, tighten with a gun and finish with a torque wrench.

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Surgery was today. I thought this picture might interest some one. I waited too long so that I may have some permanent damage. So have yours done as soon as it is confirmed.

IMG_2500.JPG

3 hours ago, ryanpernia said:

Mine caused by Vitamin B12 deficiency. 

Is'nt Wisconsin cheese high in Vitamin B 12? LOL gonna be some at the Q,  One more reason to BE THERE!

I'll say this upfront - like anything, it depends on the medical provider...

My right wrist is not good due to CTS combined with flying over the handlebars of a motorbike. Probably other things as well, but anyway....

I've seen a lot of people about mine over the last 5 years. Surgery was always down on the priority as nobody would suggest it was better than 50/50. I went to an acupuncturist, and it's improved. Not perfect, but enough improvement to be worthwhile and put off surgery.  

Good luck

Rick

I had my left done about 6 years ago. Strange, because I'm right handed. It was bad enough that my fingers would have no feeling after 15 minutes of using my skidloader.

it did take about 6 months to get back to anything resembling normal, with pain in the non affected fingers, and much discomfort. The surprise benefit is that my left thumb, which had so much pain that I thought was from authoritis that made it unusable, was completely cured. I asked the surgeon about that and he said often that happens, but is unpredictable so they don't mention it so they don't get your hopes up.

my right hand has never had a problem, and of course, I use it many times the amount of my left.

Edited by austinsailor

I've had carpal tunnel pain in my left thumb and wrist off and on for at least 30 years. I also have a small lump in my left palm. The doctors say they were brought on by repetitive motion damage. It has been severe enough at times that my wrist won't bend. Not that it won't bend without pain, it just won't bend. The doctors recommended surgery in the early '90s but I declined and just use a wrist brace when it's acting up.  Ditto for the elbows. My son has some problems, too; due to an injury. They replaced one of the tendons with one from his wrist and now his left middle finger won't bend.. He says it's handy for driving in Chicago traffic but it sucks for saxophone playing..:)

Decades of hard manual labor won't kill you but it will break you down..

• Like 1

I had my CTS reduced arthroscopic ally about 15 years ago. Symptoms were relieved and hands were back to "normal" three or four days after the procedure.  That's the good news. Have recently been told its coming back.  This time combined with a pinched nerve in my neck that produces sciatica like pain in my arms. Most suggestions for relief after I had a disc removed and had cervical bones fused, is to let a stranger with a five inch long needle shoot some steroids into the area in hopes that it calms down the"irritation"!

On a much more serious note having experienced these in a run up to my stroke, tingling, loss of hand strength, dropping things, clumsiness, dizzyness, easily tripping, and falling down more than once or twice in the short recent past, may be indicators of or precursors to stroke.  If this sounds familiar do not ignore these minor things.  Have yourself checked out, especially if you are 60 +.

Educate yourselves on TIA trans ischaemic attack.  Hand wrist and arm pain, numbness, lack of grip or strength can be more than getting old or carpal tunnel problems.

Edited by greg g

• 1 month later...

Greg and all others,  I see they have found a NEW way to determine if you had a stroke.  Better with someone than  alone but a mirror helps if alone.  You stick your tongue straight out of your mouth as far as possible.  If it slants to the left or right get help asap . Like time  to call 911.

I had both hands surgically fixed for carpal tunnel 6 weeks apart.  You can tell how endeared your wife is when she drops you off at the door of surgery center on  FEBR 14 and says call me when your done and ready to go home.  (I am single now for last 18 years).  

I will say it helped some issues but not all. Several months after surgery I told surgeon my hands were hurting like crazy.  He told me all in your mind, nothing in their to hurt THAT way..

Few months later my chiro said your hands and wrists were like no other, thought had to have a problem.  I told him  to put a grease zerk in my hands.  He didnt think that very funny.

Long story short went to ortho surgeon as a referral from chiro and he took the FIRST x-ray of both hands.  His jaw hit the floor and he stared at the pics for 15 minutes.  Ever see a doc look at an xray over half minute or two?  He said I was in a world of trouble because I had exactly ZERO cartilage between any of my bones in hand.  Only bone spurs and cysts where the good stuff should be.  I am feared same thing has now afflicted my neck because steroids, nerve ablation, nor anything like phys therapy, surgery denied by 2 different docs.  Result is a cluster headache of migraine proportions  that has NOT quit for 24/7/365 for 4 years.  Nothing helps that either.  Chiro says its just a tip of the iceberg compared to my future.  I have so much on my bucket list.

Edited by Grdpa's 50 Dodge