glass floor in my 47

kendall

I allowed enough space between the glass panels to place a small rubber t-moulding that would slightly compress the glass at the perimeters but the weight of the glass and friction as it rests on an 1-1/2" oak surround, doesn't allow it to shift even when driving around corners. The t-moulding will just prevent glass to glass contact and chipping, and seal the cab from fumes. I drove the truck for years without the 3/4" plywood floor bolted down either with never a problem. My only fear is a roll-over but at that point, the floor coming at me and 'ending my suffering' might be a blessing! It is tempered so it would be more like getting blasted with a shotgun instead of a swinging swordsman! A typical compression accident and the floor would hopefully crumble to the ground. I drive this like my motorcycles, about 1k miles a year and avoid rain and wet streets. I'm always using it as a truck though, but only bagged stuff as in mulch, landscape rock and cement. Always cheaper by the sq. yd. tho.

IMG_5422.jpg.5e06ee541339b932d282375a7266a181.jpgI 'm anticipating breakage sometime in the future and am resigned to the possibility of replacing one of the three panes once every three years +/- at a cost of $75  per pane. Worth the risk to me.  I've got plywood panels to pop in when needed as well. I'm also in the process of installing these floor mats, having them retract under my seat using window shade hardware.

Thanks for the kind feedback!

I apologize if I missed it but, what is the thickness of the glass panels? anyone know if you can laminate tempered glass?

I like it! so many times I've ran over something and had to get out to see what it was...... this way you just back up and check it out :) (just kidding around)

• Like 1

The glass shop renegged on the 1/2" thick glass they promised.This is 3/8" and plenty strong to carry the weight my feet and occasional impact.  If a very tiny, angry person is 'toopid'  enough to stand and stomp on this, then it's his duty to pick himself up from the center of the road and buy me a replacement piece! I live in a town with lots of bridges with steel grate decking. The grate visually disappears at speed. Laminating was cost prohibitive but I'm assuming laminated glass would have to be tempered so as not to compromise the membrane from glass shards when broken. A thought:  cheating wife,  lock doors,  park on roadkill until she confesses.