Lug Nuts

bambamshere

1" on my 52 1 ton.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
spelling

12 hours ago, bambamshere said:

Does anyone know the exact socket for lugnuts on a 56 1 ton got to go buy one and I am thinking it is 1 inch or is it mm 

I don't think metric was invented yet in  '56...  :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bambamshere said:

Not sure if there was a special name for them but I had alot of those square head bolts and nuts on my truck. Takes for ever to get them off.

yep "square drive"  :P

24 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

yep "square drive"  :P

Think they should make a socket set for those. 

Getting back to that 1Inch socket. Bought myself a tool set about 2 years ago. The only flippen socket it doesn't have is a 1 inch. You wouldn't think it wouldn't be that hard to find 1 inch socket. But you have to buy a flippen set to get 1 or maybe I'm looking in wrong places.

Edited by bambamshere

Getting back to that 1Inch socket. Bought myself a tool set about 2 years ago. The only flippen socket it doesn't have is a 1 inch. You wouldn't think it wouldn't be that hard to find 1 inch socket. But you have to buy a flippen set to get 1 or maybe I'm looking in wrong places.

actually they do..I have a set

You should be able to go to a Sears, Napa etc and buy a stand alone 1in socket. Beyond that any of the big tool truck companies will sell an individual socket. 

So I went to Princess Auto today and the had a 1" Impact socket. I did find in my socket set a 1" socket but wasn't sure if it would crack taking these lugnuts off. It's a Mastercraft chrome socket. I watched the guy retorque them and it looked like he reefed on them pretty good. 

Thanks for the help

Edited by bambamshere

Googled "impact sockets vs. regular sockets".  According to Snap-On tech dept: Impact sockets have heavier walls and are heat treated to be less hard, less brittle, more ductile and "hand" sockets have thinner walls, are heat treated to be harder, more brittle and less ductile than impact sockets.  Impact sockets are designed to be used on impact guns and will tend to wear out/deform but not shatter from impacts.  "Hand" sockets, being thinner, harder/more brittle could possibly shatter if used on an impact gun. Bottom line, your impact socket used on a hand ratchet or breaker bar should be less likely to crack....although can't be sure of Mastercraft socket heat treatments. 

27 minutes ago, squirebill said:

Googled "impact sockets vs. regular sockets".  According to Snap-On tech dept: Impact sockets have heavier walls and are heat treated to be less hard, less brittle, more ductile and "hand" sockets have thinner walls, are heat treated to be harder, more brittle and less ductile than impact sockets.  Impact sockets are designed to be used on impact guns and will tend to wear out/deform but not shatter from impacts.  "Hand" sockets, being thinner, harder/more brittle could possibly shatter if used on an impact gun. Bottom line, your impact socket used on a hand ratchet or breaker bar should be less likely to crack....although can't be sure of Mastercraft socket heat treatments. 

Very good info on sockets. Thank you 

late to the party again :) but, for what it's worth I use a regular 1" deep, 6pt socket (1/2" drive) on our B4D

I suppose if I was taking them on and off all the time I would use an impact socket.....

side note, I didn't see the torque specs in my repair manual but, my local "big box" tire store told me, "1/2" wheel studs torque to 125flbs, and 5/8" wheel studs to 175flbs..... didn't mention the 9/16" wheel studs but, I could deduce it might be 150flbs