‘54 Dodge Coronet Suburban updates

Ron175

• 1 year later...

After nearly a year, time for a thread update. Life gets in the way sometimes....

Following on from my last post, I managed to find the hens teeth plate surround at a yard in California - it was in good shape and matches the bumper perfectly. 

I finished the interior, with the carpet being the last piece of the puzzle. I’m pleased with how it’s turned out. 

424EBBAC-45F2-4E41-BEEA-1CEA6FA024EC.jpeg

0978E126-4A7B-48F9-8748-7342758F7BB4.jpeg

• Like 1

I then pulled the engine (again) and went through it completely. Bored 30 over, new pistons, valves reground, rods balanced, head skimmed etc. Been slowly putting it back together over the winter. Finally getting there - plan to install next weekend. 

854294A9-9823-48A2-AE7A-E9361CB3A1BF.jpeg

CCBFD8E0-4267-49F1-8D45-99AB6ACA82AD.jpeg

F392D7D5-5BDC-49B9-8426-98F3E6BD59F6.jpeg

• Like 1

Ron............nice work on the interior.........I understand the patina thing but for me theres a bit much, the old girl would really pop with a new coat of jam...........lol...........but its just great to see another Mopar getting some well deserved attention.............regards from the colonies.......Andy Douglas   

Thanks for the kind words. It’s definitely not a wrap!

I see where you’re coming from Andy - the patina isn’t for everyone. I’ve had show/magazine featured cars before and was always worried about driving them. This is the opposite. It’s so liberating not to worry about knocking it etc. I can enjoy driving it. Also, the paint has lasted 65 years - it’d be a shame to cover it now. 

• Like 1

pflaming - the rear seat is original, the front I had retrimmed by a local guy who does great work. It took a while to find fabric that was a very close match. 

E2414615-9D78-4370-9E8E-BE2EFBCF18ED.jpeg

Robin - that sounds good. Whereabouts are you?

Edited by Ron175

I'm in West London.
Check out our facbeook page at www.facebook.com/4648PDDCUK - we set it up for 46-48 cars but there are plenty of other flathead owners on there from the UK and overseas. You'll be welcome.
We also get together one a year, in September (at The P-15 Picnic). Drop me a an email and I'll send details to you.

Managed to get the engine in this weekend. Most of the ancillaries fitted too. Started after a couple of cranks which was a result. Need to sort the timing out etc., but at least it runs!

17107C3C-DB5A-41CA-923B-62EC8C7CD69A.jpeg

4A3F7A62-F99B-4119-8FB8-EB7032932749.jpeg

3C45EF23-0353-4243-BA27-8B3C4F011C5B.jpeg

Edited by Ron175
  • Like 4

Good to see your progress, look forward to seeing it on the road, I'll add my vote to leaving the paint as is.

I can highly recommend Robins P15 picnic.

Thanks for posting.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words Worden. I’m pleased with how it’s looking. 2” blocks in the rear and Aerostar front springs. I didn’t want to go too low so as to make it undriveable. 

This weekend I hope to go through the brakes and then it’s just a few little things to button up before I can get it on the road. 

• Like 1

Where I live wagons are really coming into their own. Yours is an awesome example  of why they are so cool! Like all you've done with the vehicle but I love the results with the motor.  from where I'm looking it looks like it's better than brand new in appearance.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

• Ron175 changed the title to ‘54 Dodge Coronet Suburban updates