Are all Spitfire heads 25"?

thebeebe5

Saw this ebay listing this am.   Might be a good deal for someone....   was hoping it would be for me since I found a crack in my 201 head Saturday.  Contacted the seller and it's definitely a 25" head.   But it made me wonder...   was "Spitfire" enough information that I should have known it was a 25"?  

Still really new to these motors and their variants.  

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Original-1941-Chrysler-Spitfire-Flathead-Engine-Cylinder-Head/142597268219?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3D41a7fefae11349c483a78ed04fb82290%26bu%3D43210688074%26loc%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142597268219%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%26srcrot%3De11051.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0&ul_noapp=true

Nope they are not 100%

on the long blocks.

Reg Evans Has a 1 of a kind custom 23.5 inch "Spitsfire" Head on 1 of his cars, 1 of only know to exist in the Republic  of Califronia...

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

15 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Nope they are not 100%

on the long blocks.

Reg Evans Has a 1 of a kind custom 23.5 inch "Spitsfire" Head on 1 of his cars, 1 of only know to exist in the Republic  of Califronia...

Yup, J-Lo's 230 head.

J.Lo's SpitsFire.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

This one has the magical P on it!  

LOL! I didn't even notice it. I went to the link he provided to the Spitfire head,and it was in one of the little "you might also be interested in these" little photo links below.

Given how little 200 bucks buys these days,a NOS flat 6 head at that price seemed like a bargain.

All spitfire 6 cylinder heads are 25 inch,but not all 25 inch heads are Spitfire.  Spitfire was a Chrysler automotive marketing moniker. Lots of 25 inch heads out there that don't dsay spitfire.  It has been documented a couple of time that thusly labeled heads are not more performance oriented than non spitting versions.

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Did you see this one? If you can swing 200 bucks it might be the answer to your problems. NOS,so you know it has never been milled or warped.

Did not, @knuckleharley.  I'll be fine welding mine up, but thought if the above would work it'd be kind of cool. 

5 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

You have to keep your eye on Reg. His beautiful wife Lisa does most of the work.

supervisingsandblasting.jpg

Does she have a sister?

Well....  I have 2 Spitfire V-8's...  Does that count?  Muhahaha

Just kidding...  Couldn't resist...

If your going to buy any 23" head for either the US 218 or 230 motor , I would look for a 57-59 Plymouth or Dodge Head. This head has an 8:1 compression ratio as stock. The casting number( and most likely the part number) is 1676337. You will have to have the temp sender hole drilled out and re-tapped for the earlier temp gauges. Also, if using an earlier block without the extra by-pass the later head gasket needs to be used. I felt the extra "Pop" in the motor immediately after installing the head on the 230 I had up till recently in my WC-12.  Here is a photo of the head

IMG_0063.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dozerman51 said:

If your going to buy any 23" head for either the US 218 or 230 motor , I would look for a 57-59 Plymouth or Dodge Head. This head has an 8:1 compression ratio as stock. The casting number( and most likely the part number) is 1676337. You will have to have the temp sender hole drilled out and re-tapped for the earlier temp gauges. Also, if using an earlier block without the extra by-pass the later head gasket needs to be used. I felt the extra "Pop" in the motor immediately after installing the head on the 230 I had up till recently in my WC-12.  Here is a photo of the head

IMG_0063.JPG

Good to know.  Thanks. More CR is definitely not in my plans.  Already raised it with piston for this build. The stock head ought to do fine once it's back, cleaned up and checked for warpage after the welding process. 

3 minutes ago, Dartgame said:

Bebee how did you raise your comp ratio with the piston ? Custom pistons ? 

Yeah, JE forged. Will likely pop a turbo on it too and will be really happy to start around 7.3:1 static compression. 

• Like 1