Fargo FM2-16 Brake Drums

MOPARNUTS

I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm doing  this right.  

I have a Fargo FM2 1 ton, same as a Dodge B 1 D, I  believe.

All four brake drums are worn beyond limits. I have not yet been able to source serviceable replacements. They are hard to find!

I haven't been able to find anything on the subject in the forums about welding or inserts or some other method, then turning them to spec (which I don't have). I've looked at  recasting using the existing drums to build moulds, but cannot be assured they will conform to specs after cooling. And the cost would be $400.00 to$500.00 each. Ouch!

Can anyone help?

disc for the front as Don stated, change to a modern rear axle with floating brakes...move up into the modern world a bit as far as ease of maintenance and cost/availability is concerned....grab a better ratio for today' modern highway while you at it...win win  NOW is stock you main concern...dig deep...parts are out there..may take a day or two finding them instead of a quick fix like we all hope for.

not so easy to convert a 1ton without drastic changes. To do the front swap you'd have to engineer your own or convert to a smaller axle. I don't believe any of the guys out there supply a conversion for that size truck. Then that gets you a whole nother issue of wheels. 

Thanks for the comments. I'm trying to keep the truck as original as possible. Also, my research to date agrees with Young Ed - converting to discs would entail significant effort and expense for a 1 ton.  Also I would need to abandon the originality aspect. 

If my effort to source the correct drums is unsuccessful, one option I'm looking at is to bolt B 1 B axles under it. Seems those parts are much easier to find. At least that would keep it somewhat original. Anyone out there done that?

2 hours ago, MOPARNUTS said:

I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm doing  this right.  

I have a Fargo FM2 1 ton, same as a Dodge B 1 D, I  believe.

All four brake drums are worn beyond limits. I have not yet been able to source serviceable replacements. They are hard to find!

I haven't been able to find anything on the subject in the forums about welding or inserts or some other method, then turning them to spec (which I don't have). I've looked at  recasting using the existing drums to build moulds, but cannot be assured they will conform to specs after cooling. And the cost would be $400.00 to$500.00 each. Ouch!

Can anyone help?

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill

Dodge did a brake drum stud size increase of 9/16" to 5/8" in the B-2 series (1950)...so all 1948-50 brake drums should have 9/16" studs and 1951 and later 5/8" studs. Any rims will still fit.

Also the king pin size was increased some time in 1950

8 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Dodge did a brake drum stud size increase of 9/16" to 5/8" in the B-2 series (1950)...so all 1948-50 brake drums should have 9/16" studs and 1951 and later 5/8" studs. Any rims will still fit.

Also the king pin size was increased some time in 1950

That would be for the 5 stud  B2B series with sold rims right? Mine is a 6 stud B1D series with split rings.

Nope... not for 1/2 or 3/4 ton 5 stud.

I posted above info for dodge 1948-53 1 ton six stud drums and wheels.

• 3 weeks later...

P-15 D-24

Haven't  been able to find wear spec for the B1D front drum. Can you help? Feel bad I haven't found it  myself.

MAY have found drums. Checking to confirm they can be turned.

Many thanks