cardboard heater duct Cranbrook 1953

bluefoxamazone

Is there anybody around who has measured the exact dimensions or made a drawing that I could use to make and replace the current carboard duct (that is too far gone)between the blower motor hosing and the heat exchanger.

I remember seeing pictures of someone who made this in fiberglass, but I can't seem to find it back...

I would like to do the same... Thanks!!

Paul Curtis    pwjitaylor@msn.com      reproduces this ductwork, ready to install for $209 plus $17 shipping.

I have used the ones he made for both 50 and 51.  Perfect fit and appearance.   He advertises in the Plymouth Bulletin.

I was inclined toward making these items myself but for the price they are excellent value.

1 hour ago, dpollo said:

Paul Curtis    pwjitaylor@msn.com      reproduces this ductwork, ready to install for $209 plus $17 shipping.

I have used the ones he made for both 50 and 51.  Perfect fit and appearance.   He advertises in the Plymouth Bulletin.

I was inclined toward making these items myself but for the price they are excellent value.

OK, thanks, but I guess untill it arrives in Belgium it will cost at least double... so I am thinking of making one myself out of cardboard that fits well (or maybe repair an original one if I can fiind one that is repairable with duct tape), Fill it with PU foam and use this as a mold for fiberglass and P-ester... This should work, but I hope someone did the exercise before me and has some measurements laying around somewhere... :-)

I saw an all metal one made using a coffee tin for the round part.   Given the speed of the mail I can understand your reluctance to order from overseas.  Yet it might arrive by next winter.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

OK, thanks, but I guess untill it arrives in Belgium it will cost at least double... so I am thinking of making one myself out of cardboard that fits well (or maybe repair an original one if I can fiind one that is repairable with duct tape), Fill it with PU foam and use this as a mold for fiberglass and P-ester... This should work, but I hope someone did the exercise before me and has some measurements laying around somewhere... :-)

I should have one heater duct for a 1949 with me in a couple of weeks. If it is of interest to you than I could obviously provide you with some measurements. However, I do not know if the 1949 differs from yours. thom

Just now, Thomba48 said:

I should have one heater duct for a 1949 with me in a couple of weeks. If it is of interest to you than I could obviously provide you with some measurements. However, I do not know if the 1949 differs from yours. thom

mmmm.... i am pretty sure that it will not be the same... My car is a '53 ? But thanks anyway Thom!!!

23 minutes ago, bluefoxamazone said:

mmmm.... i am pretty sure that it will not be the same... My car is a '53 ? But thanks anyway Thom!!!

I believe the construction technique is the same but the shape is different. Back a while someone detailed out creating something out of fiberglass with a template. I thought I had it saved to make my dual heater ducts but I don't have it anymore. 

8 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I believe the construction technique is the same but the shape is different. Back a while someone detailed out creating something out of fiberglass with a template. I thought I had it saved to make my dual heater ducts but I don't have it anymore. 

same here... I  can't find it back. It would be great if someone had an old duct for a '53  laying around who could make up a template. (or send it to me as it is...:-) )

take care!

these items did not last forever and remarkably held up longer than most would expect.  They just cannot be handled much when aged.  I built my 54 piece out of metal and when painted black looks right at home.  Just checked my pics...while I have an assembled pic, I did not step by step the process of shortening the donor paint can and cutting the side to flare into a receiver flange to connect the newly constructed metal tube.  The paint can was just the right size to mount to the blower motor.  

My son repaired/ made his from an old Miller High Life 12 pack carton and duct tape. Got him thru cold mornings when he was driving it to school. This was back in '08 or '09.  It's still on the car and operable last time it was used.  It was a quick and easy repair meant to be temporary. Worked so good just never got around to fixing it right. We've discussed fabbing one from fiberglass . If you make one post pics so we can copy.  Lol

I know of a NOS Duct... but I know it's is not for sale....a picture of the duct..

Heater Duct 1953-4 Plymouth (2).JPG

yep, that's the one I need..... is there someone around who has something like this on the shelve somewhere...? Or is this impossible to find?

I have even been thinking to make a mold to produce multiple parts with. Then I would have to make it in two halves that can be glued or bolted together.

I like the hint with the Miller cardboard... but you can't find Miller over here in Belgium... haha...

grtz

Edited by bluefoxamazone

• 2 weeks later...

hey thanks for the reply and the hint on Ebay!!!!

you're right.... untill it is here in Belgium it is not made out of cardboard but out of gold...

I am still working on the idea to rebuild one myself on the kitchen table... but again thanks for the hint

Bluefox......have been studying the pics of the NOS one that Dodgeb4ya posted and am wondering whether you could repair your old one enough so it could be used as a pattern to make one from fibreglass or even a new version out of some light gauge sheetmetal and maybe using a tin can trimmed to the right depth, the centre cut out for the holed bottom and pieces of bent metal for the sides & top..........I've never seen one of these here in Oz as being RHD our cars would not have used any of the US LHD heater parts apart from maybe the dash vents and maybe some dash switch gear so I'm not sure if this helps, in fact I dunno if my hairbrained suggestion helps at all..................lol...............andyd     

• Haha 1

3d printing should be the move forward for so many things. Had the same idea in regard door sill replikas. I wasn't able to find any suppliers due to many reasons: Mostly length and overall dimensions.

thom