holes in floorboards

homer41

I have the floor stripped out of my 41 plymouth and want to know if there is any reason to leave any holes open? Can I just go ahead and plug all the small holes? By the way they are not rust holes, I did have very few of them.  Dave

The only holes inthe floor boards should be for the bolts that are used to bolt the floor boards to the frame. There might be a major plate that can be removed to check the mastercyinder that is bolted to the fram and the hole for the foot dimmer swithc and the two holes that bolt the dimmer switch. The other holes is for the accelartor rod and for the floor mounter push rod to start the car with the pushrod if so equipted

You donot want any holes in the flor board that are not needed becasue you will get engine heat and fumes intot he passenger comparment. There are not drain holes for paint application.  i have a 39 desoto so your car will be very close to mine.  Check the holes very carefully to make sure these are not rustout homes.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com.

Most certainly not rust holes! Some were from the same kind of fasteners used to hold down the rub strip between the cowl and the hood, a sort ofgrooved nail that must have been driven in. Guessing it was used to hold the carpet liner down as there were some behind the rear seat. There were also 2 other bigger holes that I have patched under the passenger seat very crudely cut, can not figure what for. There are quite a few holes, most in the bottom of the forming bends, again NOT RUST, these holes are perfect as if they were punched during the forming process.  Dave

The car spent most of its life in California and Arizona. From the size of most of the holes the fish would have to be very small, our bait fish would not fit through these holes. Dave

• Haha 1