Steering wheel

belvedere666

I have a ‘50 plymouth that originally had a steering wheel with a flat back and a detachable dome piece that recessed over the steering column.

the wheel was bent out of shape terribly.

i came across what someone told me was a 50 steering wheel and bought it immediately, at a steal of a price. Same day I came across another offer and it was equally affordable. I purchased both.

paintwd the better of the two in a woodgrain to match my dash.

My dilemma: it turns out that the TWO that found were actually 46-48 steering wheels.

They don’t allow the dome shaped piece  to fit on, to cover the end of the steering column. The splines match and the wheel goes onto the steering shaft. But it doesn’t press down far enough. It leaves a gap between the base of the steering wheel and the steering column.

Is the steering column for the 46 to 48 longer than 50? Can I remedy this by just putting the column/sleeve over my existing steering shaft with the splines To fill that gap?

B60AF12B-FE00-43ED-BD66-7E425AD54086.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

The column jacket was probably longer on the 46-48s. They used clamp on style turn signals where a 50 could have turn signals inside that dome piece. 

I have that dome and there is not slot for turn signals. I think turn signals were an option for 51/52 and the steering wheel is very similar but the dome has an indent on one side to fit the shifter and another section in between with a slot in it  to alllow the turn signal arm.

can I just weld on a piece to extend the jacket? Would it make a difference?

16 minutes ago, belvedere666 said:

I have that dome and there is not slot for turn signals. I think turn signals were an option for 51/52 and the steering wheel is very similar but the dome has an indent on one side to fit the shifter and another section in between with a slot in it  to alllow the turn signal arm.

can I just weld on a piece to extend the jacket? Would it make a difference?

You are right they were optional but I believe the dome was the same shape either way. See if you can shift it up from the bottom. Otherwise I don't think it would hurt to weld an extension.

• Like 1

That wheel might be for a '49  but as mentioned above,  the 50 and later wheels had a press-on cover at the column side which when removed, allowed the installation of the custom turn signal and canceling mechanism. If you  wish to close the gap, have a muffler shop cut a piece of exhaust tubing and expand it so it slides snugly over the column. Then measure it carefully,  and cut it so it just clears the steering wheel. When all is right, use a little  JB weld to hold it in place.  That way it can be removed at a later date if needs be.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

Belvedere666,

By the way, from what I can see of the steering wheel in the photo—the wood-graining looks VERY nice!!!

Thanks! It’s got a few areas I need to repaint on the backside where the finger grooves are. The high parts didn’t take so well to the stain i used. Here’s another picture

F9C2121C-8FCB-4458-BEFD-94690678040B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

that doesn't look like a 46-48 wheel. you sure it doesn't match the old one?

From the front it’s an ezct match for the 49-52 wheel. The back is an exact match to the 47-48. I can’t figure it out.

top pic is the back

of the one I woodgrained.

nottom pic is the bent one I took off.

6CA57C56-CFD9-46DB-A012-9F99CB5F9A8C.jpeg

570431E6-D991-4BCD-953E-A828819A78BB.jpeg

Belvedere666,

I really do love the way your steering wheel turned out—GREAT JOB!!!

I looked at the photos you’ve provided here, and my curiosity got the better of me, so I had to go look at the steering wheel on our car (1946 Plymouth Special DeLuxe Club Coupe, if any of that makes any difference), and it looks like the top photo you provided of the back side of your steering wheel. The front of our wheel looks like the photo of the front of your wood-grained  steering wheel, but the horn button is completely different to what we have—we’ve got a horn-ring. I tho’t I’d be of some help to you, but I’ve probably only thrown more confusion on this topic. Sorry ‘bout that . . . .

PS — Do you put some type of clear on the wheel to protect the wood-graining once you’ve got it the way you want it. And, if so, what do you use? Thx.

Edited by DrDoctor

Both 49 & 50 Plymouth s had two different steering wheels. One for the deluxe models and one for special deluxe. One had a small horn button (deluxe)-(wood grained example) and a full large round horn blow ring (special deluxe-not shown)-but maybe a spec. deluxe back side?

DJ

29 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Both 49 & 50 Plymouth s had two different steering wheels. One for the deluxe models and one for special deluxe. One had a small horn button (deluxe)-(wood grained example) and a full large round horn blow ring (special deluxe-not shown)-but maybe a spec. deluxe back side?

DJ

This is a 50 Deluxe horn button. I have a Special Deluxe and a horn ring but they both bolt up the same to both steering wheel styles I just like the button better than the ring.

rhe original wheel with the dome piece was off of a Special Deluxe.

52 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

Belvedere666,

I really do love the way your steering wheel turned out—GREAT JOB!!!

I looked at the photos you’ve provided here, and my curiosity got the better of me, so I had to go look at the steering wheel on our car (1946 Plymouth Special DeLuxe Club Coupe, if any of that makes any difference), and it looks like the top photo you provided of the back side of your steering wheel. The front of our wheel looks like the photo of the front of your wood-grained  steering wheel, but the horn button is completely different to what we have—we’ve got a horn-ring. I tho’t I’d be of some help to you, but I’ve probably only thrown more confusion on this topic. Sorry ‘bout that . . . .

PS — Do you put some type of clear on the wheel to protect the wood-graining once you’ve got it the way you want it. And, if so, what do you use? Thx.

I just used a spray on clear coat. Can’t remeber exactly which one but it was made by rustoleum. I read as much info as I could find and I found that even in the sun it should last many years.

i guess I’ll find out. Haha. Since I did the work myself, I guess I can do it again in a few years if I need to.

same with my dashboard. I clear coated that with the same stuff.

There are some picture examples of my dash toward the bottom of page 2.

Edited by belvedere666
Wrong info

2 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

DJ194950,

Thank you for the information. I didn’t know that. Now a question for you: were the steering wheels in ’46-’48 different between DeLuxe and Special DeLuxe, too? Thx. Best regards.

I just looked it up and there are 2 different part #s for deluxe and special deluxe. Interesting also the 42s have different #s too. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

DJ194950,

Thank you for the information. I didn’t know that. Now a question for you: were the steering wheels in ’46-’48 different between DeLuxe and Special DeLuxe, too? Thx. Best regards.

Sorry I do not know about the p-15's even though I have a friends 47 Ply. in my garage at the moment.

His P-15 parts book and repair manuals are at his house.

I DID have a blow up of the parts for the 49 & 50 steer wheel/horn pieces but my "computer ate them". That is my excuse and I am sticking to it!  :rolleyes:

DJ

• Like 2