53 HyDrive Gaskets

RatMan

Hello Everyone,

So I have a 53 Cranbrook with a Hydrive. Just about every freeze plug, the rear main seal, and/or the engine to trans o-rings are is leaking. So its time for the motor to come out and get resealed. My question is, does anyone know anything about resealing a Hydrive trans? Are the gaskets the same as a fluid drive? If not, any idea where I can Hydrive gasket set? I check with Bernbaum but they don't have a Hydrive gasket set. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

Edited by RATMAN

The Hy Drive transmission is the same --- so far as gaskets are concerned---- as any other standard Plymouth transmission of that year.

Your real challenge will be to get the right seals that go between the adapter plate and the engine.  This may be simple ---as I recall as they are just O rings ----

but it has been over 45 years since I looked at one.   The  shaft seal for the Hydrive's torque converter is another matter entirely.  If it is not leaking now, then leave it alone

until you get further advice.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info! That helps a lot. I'm not sure of the shaft seal is leaking or not. Its very possible. This car was sitting in a barn for almost 30 years before I got it running again a couple years ago. I guess we will find out when I pull it apart. I don't plan on doing that for another month or so though.

To repair/reseal the Hy-Drive I would get the Hy-Drive service manual to be sure you do it right.

Replace all the seals with the right ones.

AMS...E-bay etc. You will need the factory part numbers to start with.

A Mopar parts book will give you all the correct part numbers for the seals. They can be crossed over to modern seals ....usually if needed.

I bought a seal kit from Northwest Transmission referenced above and the kit had all the parts needed.  The reaction shaft seal for the torque converter is usually the problem on the Hy-Drive.  If you get a 53-54 service manual, they have a reasonable Hy-Drive section.  Other pieces to be aware of- the clutch and throwout bearing in the Hy-Drive set up are unique to that setup as far as I can tell.  I see the service manual for sale at the Motorbook store online- I have no experience with them, but the cover looks the same as my original.

• Like 1