1939 Dodge D11 speedo

madmutt

Hi guys,

The speedo on my D11 has broken. On taking it apart one of the tiny little cogs which turn over the tacho have disintegrated which means the whole thing no longer works. I am on the look out for a another speedo or someone in the UK that can repair these things! I know it is a long shot living in the UK but no harm in asking!

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Simon

behind the face of your speedometer is a unit which is shared with other Chrysler products of that year and also 1940.  In fact there was a replacement works made which allowed the odometer to be placed either above or below the needle shaft  so this could be used on 41 to 48.   My guess would be that the little cogs are the same in almost all of these.

Have you tried Halfords just off the Basingstoke Road?

Seriously, what are the chances? I have a 1941 P11 and am In Wokingham, so a few miles away at most. What has actually stopped? The speedo or the odometer (mileage)? The speedo is just a rotating magnet and a hairspring, but the odometer is a bit more complex. If it's the odometer, my best suggestion would be the watch repair shop in Wokingham, who can make a new gear from scratch, if need be.

Graham

KK1.jpg

Wow Wiggo what are the chances!! So good to see a similar car and owner close by!

Its the tiny cogs in the odometer. Its the first one that has broken which takes the drive from the speedo cable and transmits it to the other cogs and then to the speedo. I think it is different from the others cos my mate who was helping me was going to use one of the higher number cogs to replace it. I hope I am making myself clear? It has broken into very tiny pieces so not sure if enough to get a pattern for a new one. However, worth a try.

Many thanks,

Simon

B0D022A7-9EBC-47CD-A30C-F26FA399201F.jpeg

I think the part that you really need is called the frame assembly that has the odometer numbers in th fram did a search on ebay for 1939 dodge speedometer and there are several speed frame assemblies and they are nOS with the small brass cogged wheels Not completely sure if this will work for you but according to the seller he say yes.

My Aitolite componets books states that the correct frame assembly is an Autolite but the nuimber is SA100229

for 35 dollars might work for you.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

The problem with being this side of the pond is that that $35 turns into $80 including shipping, and then $125 after you pay import duty, tax and handling fees. So a $40 local repair is often quicker and cheaper...

I totaly understand. I was trying to let you know what the potentail part might look like if your ever come across one at a swap meet. This info came from my Autolite 38 - 52 catalog.  Hope you get you problem fixed.  I have a 39 Desoto 4 door sedan and have also used he fender lamps that are on your 39 Dodge as my turn signals.

If you ever need additioanl help with some 39 items let me know.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

10 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I think the part that you really need is called the frame assembly that has the odometer numbers in th fram did a search on ebay for 1939 dodge speedometer and there are several speed frame assemblies and they are nOS with the small brass cogged wheels Not completely sure if this will work for you but according to the seller he say yes.

My Aitolite componets books states that the correct frame assembly is an Autolite but the nuimber is SA100229

for 35 dollars might work for you.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks for the info Rich. I have looked at pictures of the frame assembly and I am not sure we are talking about the same cogs. I have attached a pic of the broken cog that has caused the problem. It is not the one on the frame assembly but the one that attaches to the drum with the numbers in the odometer. There is one of these cogs for each drum. 

Wiggo, do you think your watch repairers could make a new one of these?

Guys, I appreciate the info and advice.

4FF926B8-3B8D-441B-9E4F-11A2425C4635.jpeg

Whoa, there's not a lot left to tell where that came from, but I did find this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1941-Dodge-D20-Speedometer-Frame-Assembly-Auto-Lite-SA-100279-dp1/263478415906 that might be the answer.

But to answer the question, yes, it can be rebuilt. If he wants a pattern to work from, you can borrow mine.

These cogs sit inside those numbered drums. Yes I found that frame assembly this morning too so great minds think alike. I think I am more likely to go for the NOS frame assembly because we have not been able to work out why the cog disintegrated in the first place and that there may be another problem we haven't diagnosed. 

Many thanks for your advice.

Simon

• 3 years later...

Good to see some other old Dodge products in UK, mine arrived just before Christmas from South Africa , according to the Dodge folk in the USA they describe it as a Splodge, this is a D12 RHD very original car. 

Doing a bit of work on it , New carpeting, New hood lining as old lining was not well fitted , few little bits of paintwork to touch up and lots of window tint to remove. Was used as a photo booth in SA. Replacing all window rubbers and seals too.

IMG_1757_kindlephoto-8612971.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

That’ s a nice car madmutt. I have just been through the whole instrument panel rebuild thing on my D14. For a small assembly it can sure eat up spending coupons getting it restored so I can value your point of trying to correct the problem on your own. If you are looking for parts go to www.vintagepartsource.com > instrument_repair which lists many suppliers and restoration shops which may help. All the best from across the pond! M