1954 dodge kingsway business mans coupe

Spencer

Hi,

I am wondering if someone can please help me I have an old car 1954 dodge Kingsway business mans coupe is what I was told it is but am not sure what model it is so I can buy parts what I see on the car is vehichle # 97004101 model d39 3 cpe, body no. 27 but I am unsure what model this would be a coronet, custom, meadowbrook, royal or sierra is what I was told I need in order to buy parts.. sorry I am not very good with this sort of thing. Thank you in advance for any help.

20180129_170807.jpg

20180129_170736.jpg

20180129_171314.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Hi,

I am wondering if someone can please help me I have an old car 1954 dodge Kingsway business mans coupe is what I was told it is but am not sure what model it is so I can buy parts what I see on the car is vehichle # 97004101 model d39 3 cpe, body no. 27 but I am unsure what model this would be a coronet, custom, meadowbrook, royal or sierra is what I was told I need in order to buy parts.. sorry I am not very good with this sort of thing. Thank you in advance for any help.

20180129_170807.jpg

20180129_170736.jpg

20180129_171314.jpg

I am far from being an expert of these things,but IMHO the first thing you need to do is determine if it is a Canadian Dodge or an Ameircan Plymouth. It looks suspiciously like a 51-52 Plymouth to me,but I understand that was normal for Canadian Dodges.

Did you get a title or any registration or ownership papers with it.  If so,check the paperwork to see what the Canadian DMV was calling it,and then check the numbers to make sure they match your paperwork BEFORE you put any more money into it.

Once done,make another post here and give us the pedigree. There are several Canadian Mopar guys here who I am sure will be willing to help you,but they have to know where to start.

I have the same car. Yours is not 1954 but a 1951 Dodge D39 business coupe based on the licence plate light which is different from 1952. They only made 345 of them that year and we have 2 of them. Mine is body number 326 and serial number is 97006079. They are a Canadian Dodge which is really a Plymouth with Dodge trim. It will have the longer 25" engine. Being a business coupe it will be a Kingsway model with the model insignia at the back of the front fenders just above the stainless steel trim. PM if you have questions or want my phone number. 

From the old plate I see you likely live in Alberta. I am in Lethbridge. Incidentally, the plate is a 1950 plate even though it has 1951 on it. EX 31.3.51 is the expiry date, 31 of March, 1951. 1951 plates for Alberta are yellow with black lettering with EX 31.3.52.

When buying parts, especially from American sources, you need to buy for a Plymouth. Basically it is only the Dodge trim and grille that are different from the Plymouth. American Dodges were bigger cars and none of the US Dodge trim will fit our cars. This has been a five year project for me to this point and the car should be on the road this year. Last big thing to do is the interior.

DSCN8136.JPG.7cd1e1f7bd8db4fe6cf715cad3b21761.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG.e1c35447c54c0d6731bd50d95fc5725a.JPG

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Gregarious13 said:

Robert,

That's beautiful! Same color as my 52 Dodge Wayfarer Coupe. Well it's supposed to be that color

Greg

IMG_20171112_142652.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. As you can see, my car was five coloured at first - rust, primer, light blue, green, and black. Black was its last colour before me but I have always liked the green of these old Mopars so went with that colour. I debated about the original light blue but I already have a light blue car and didn't want another.

That's the Silhouette Green right? It's a great color!  I realize my picture looks blue but it's actually the same color as your car. These business coupes are my favorite!  Good classic 50's  car.

I need to find the hood letters for mine, they are missing. Maybe I can make them out of stainless.

Greg

3 hours ago, Dbolter said:

Nice Restoration Robert!!  I also like your Sweptline truck in the background!!

That truck just shouts "DAILY DRIVER!" to me.

3 hours ago, Dbolter said:

Nice Restoration Robert!!  I also like your Sweptline truck in the background!!

It is a nice truck but not mine. Picture shows location where I got my car which is about 10 miles out of town from where I live. There were a whole lot of old mopars stored there and I had chased the business coupe for years and asked for first refusal if he ever sold. Owner finally lost storage and everything is gone. I believe the truck went to someone who planned on restoring it.