51 B-3-B Crank pulley problems

51skycheif

im curious if there is a place i can get a longer crank bolt to install my crank pulley on my 218. tight fit and ive already trashed the threads on my hand crank bolt, talked to my local fastener shop and they said id have to have a their machinist make one. or maybe someone has a trick im overlooking, thanks in advance

The part you are referring to is called a starting jaw and it is in effect a bolt which secures the crank pulley.   Why would you need a longer bolt, unless the threads in the crankshaft are stripped?   If this is the case, you really have a problem.     If you had a good Starting Jaw, you could make the threads go deeper into the crankshaft by lathing off some of the flange of the jaw and assembling without a washer.

• Thanks 1

my pulley wont slide over the crank, and the threads arent long enough to engage the threads on the crankshaft. how tight of a fit should the crank pulley be? looks like this truck was "repaired" years ago and im just cleaning up a mess. i need a new starting jaw or a bolt, my radiator is too tall to use the hand crank anyways so anything would work. threads are ok in the crank, ive got a back up crank if that was the case but im trying to solve this without going that deep

The crank pulley is a press fit over the snout of the crank.

The right way to install it is to press  it on with a stud and thick washer and nut combination.

You can carefully tap the pulley (use a steel plate/thick large washer) onto the crankshaft snout enough where you can then use the original bolt to push it on the rest of the way.

Lube the threads and underside of the bolt.

Then use a large thick diameter hardened washer and bolt to force the pulley the rest of the way onto the crankshaft.

IMG_5261.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 2

thats exactly what im trying to do, the threads are an oddball size and ive had zero luck trying to find anything with this thread pitch. Tacoma Screw measured the threads on my starter jaw and offered to get an estimate on having one made. might have to go that route. thank you for the input.

hears the deal

i have made a installler for this very issue..notice i said issue instead of problem to be modern..

but the fact is it is a problem...i machined the wrench flats off a crank bolt..welded a threaded rod inside..

now screw the the treaded part all the way down the crank hole..

use the attached large nut to force the pulley onto the crank..never hit with a hammer..

i will loan this to you...i want it back..i will send you a new crank nut..you want a crank nut or a plain crank nut..

jesse

• Thanks 1