D24

Trevor

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

?

Sorry.. made an error.. new to the forum and system.. still need to know a safe way to install the windshield..

Edited by Trevor

22 minutes ago, casper50 said:

Here you go Trevor. It's not that hard.  Just go slow and don't force anything.  The guy in the video is obnoxious and there's 3 in the series but he gets it done.

Thanks.. much appreciated.. my D24 has a split windshield.. front not back.. 2 glass panels.. your input is most valued.. my rear is good.. just the front needs replacing.. 

10 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

A shop manual is your friend here. You can buy them on ebay either original, modern, or digital.

Got it.. just thought tips would help.. I thank you for your input.. here in SA there is no help.. all vintage shops have closed.. am in the heart of the has beens.. battle in the dark.. haha but fun..

Shop manual is your friend. I had a glass shop install a rear window in my '51 Dodge business coupe project. They said they knew how to do it and didn't need the manual. After a couple of failed attempts to get the glass, rubber, and stainless steel trim to work together, I finally insisted they do it the way the manual said. It was done 5 minutes later. The factory really did know the best way to install, repair, or replace most things!

With the windows, take your time and don't force anything. I usually use a glass cleaner on the rubber as a lubricant if needed.

Edited by RobertKB

12 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

Shop manual is your friend. I had a glass shop install a rear window in my '51 Dodge business coupe project. They said they knew how to do it and didn't need the manual. After a couple of failed attempts to get the glass, rubber, and stainless steel trim to work together, I finally insisted they do it the way the manual said. It was done 5 minutes later. The factory really did know the best way to install, repair, or replace most things!

So true.. I will take your advice.. engine,gearbox,fluid drive,gearbox,diff and brakes all done.. got 95% of body parts.. love this car..

Can't see the videos to tell if this will be redundant or not, but silicone spray is your friend when installing the rubber onto the glass, and then installing the assembly to the car.  I've used "Liquid Wrench" with really good results.

Foaming glass cleaner works well to.   It is very difficult to install glass without some sort of lube.   As I recall, the D24 windshield pane is installed from inside the car.

Shop manual is a Must.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Can't see the videos to tell if this will be redundant or not, but silicone spray is your friend when installing the rubber onto the glass, and then installing the assembly to the car.  I've used "Liquid Wrench" with really good results.

Thanks for your input.. much appreciated..

3 hours ago, casper50 said:

Dish soap works well and doesn't mess with the paint.

Hi.. true that any lube is key to the process.. will venture down that route with caution..

43 minutes ago, dpollo said:

Foaming glass cleaner works well to.   It is very difficult to install glass without some sort of lube.   As I recall, the D24 windshield pane is installed from inside the car.

Shop manual is a Must.

Got shop manual.. thanks.. other input is always of great value.. thanks a million..

I seem to remember that when my son and I installed the windshield glass in my D24 we put it in from the outside.  We used a stout piece of twine to help pull the rubber around the glass.  It is a job that can be done at home, but like installing drywall, or painting windows, it is a job that you get better at with experience.  Looking back, I think that I should have let the auto glass shop do it.  If you have good glass shop in the area, it may be worthwhile to inquire as to what it would cost to have it installed. ... just my 2 cents worth. 

19 hours ago, busycoupe said:

I seem to remember that when my son and I installed the windshield glass in my D24 we put it in from the outside.  We used a stout piece of twine to help pull the rubber around the glass.  It is a job that can be done at home, but like installing drywall, or painting windows, it is a job that you get better at with experience.  Looking back, I think that I should have let the auto glass shop do it.  If you have good glass shop in the area, it may be worthwhile to inquire as to what it would cost to have it installed. ... just my 2 cents worth. 

Thanks for your 2 cents.. better than 1 cent.. Only I work on this D24 of mine.. One does not know others workmanship.. often very shady..Will take your advice and go slowly.. Thanks for your input.. much appreciated..

18 hours ago, 51skycheif said:

ive used a length of paracord wrapped around the rubber seal to pull it into the frame with a bit of tire lube. the nylon cord is nice on the rubber

Thanks.. I used nylon cord before.. here in SA the car window installers use steel cords.. Not going with that.. Will try myself with lude and nylon cord.. thank you..

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

Many years ago I used insulated stranded electrical wire with the insulation soaped up well.

Hi.. correct.. many ways to kill a cat.. but lubrication is key.. I have stripped this car completely.. In the rebuilding phase.. have worked slowly on other vechiles and broken the glass.. Glass for the D24 is hard to get.. if not at all... I thank you for your input.. Believe patience prevails..