Help ID-Ing V16 Engine Failure...With Pics.

keithb7

Thought you gear heads might enjoy seeing photos of a  V16 engine I saw today.

2800 HP Diesel. Full HP and torque nets 4.22 gallons per minute fuel burn. 4 turbos.

noOIUX3tFr0d3use_pn8sENJtdFpIWBMxvv8XbT-

Melted and extruded main bearing here. What the bearing half is supposed to look like, is in the background.

f2JiTodx8dQJKAjkFTF4CWBDyISFrChJM7Ev2Tjm

dRBg-uGTaXf_p44nRz9EF4ExmN_p-ZiYXjsSGsIL

What's left of connecting rod, small end. Still in replaceable cylinder.

rYPPqnJc0_Z4gim6fB_npowhSdNplzvyC6X--UJV

Another one. Big end gone.

SPf2JkIMbNtvjuioSVt-FFQ4OlU0u3MIlBEW4IMf

Crank is supposed to look like this:

07vg2Qn1xx8hbW4eqLTsqx04MjtVzrtRN7JlnoRg

What's left here:

LGn9imtDZW9ZpQ4NVfTTLNXMqZ_Ef7J_kkMt3vKR

When you hear something odd, it's often too late. The thing screws it's self apart and goes bang bang.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

That had to be a costly engine repair!

I just watched a video of a 7.5 ton installation of a cruise ship cranshaft being installed up into the bottom of the crankcase by at least 10 men.

The crank looked to be at least 20 feet long and was moved into the ship through a side man door, then  down into the engine room through a hatch door.

Lots of chain falls and hoists.

I once was responsible for a 16 cylinder electric motor driven ammonia refrigeration compressor. This had a common crankshaft. Came in one morning and the output was half of the normal capacity. The driven end of the crankshaft was spinning and there were no strange noises. Investigation found that the crankshaft had split right in the middle so the driven half was running and the other half was not.

vilter.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

That had to be a costly engine repair!

I just watched a video of a 7.5 ton installation of a cruise ship cranshaft being installed up into the bottom of the crankcase by at least 10 men.

The crank looked to be at least 20 feet long and was moved into the ship through a side man door, then  down into the engine room through a hatch door.

Lots of chain falls and hoists.

Could you post the video, please. That sounds really interesting!

On 2/5/2018 at 7:11 PM, keithb7 said:

Thought you gear heads might enjoy seeing photos of a  V16 engine I saw today.

2800 HP Diesel. Full HP and torque nets 4.22 gallons per minute fuel burn. 4 turbos.

noOIUX3tFr0d3use_pn8sENJtdFpIWBMxvv8XbT-

Melted and extruded main bearing here. What the bearing half is supposed to look like, is in the background.

f2JiTodx8dQJKAjkFTF4CWBDyISFrChJM7Ev2Tjm

dRBg-uGTaXf_p44nRz9EF4ExmN_p-ZiYXjsSGsIL

What's left of connecting rod, small end. Still in replaceable cylinder.

rYPPqnJc0_Z4gim6fB_npowhSdNplzvyC6X--UJV

Another one. Big end gone.

SPf2JkIMbNtvjuioSVt-FFQ4OlU0u3MIlBEW4IMf

Crank is supposed to look like this:

07vg2Qn1xx8hbW4eqLTsqx04MjtVzrtRN7JlnoRg

What's left here:

LGn9imtDZW9ZpQ4NVfTTLNXMqZ_Ef7J_kkMt3vKR

When you hear something odd, it's often too late. The thing screws it's self apart and goes bang bang.

Thanks for sharing. I work with wood all day so stuff like this amazes me. 

On 2/6/2018 at 12:02 PM, RobertKB said:

Could you post the video, please. That sounds really interesting!

• Like 1

Knew a fellow who busted a rod on a Nash straight 8.  Had it to towed home and asked the crew to come over and help his diagnose why it wouldn't run.  I looked at it and told him straight away he had an electrical problem.  Everyone looked at me like I was nuts. They said the engine threw a rod anybody could see that.  I agreed but pointed out the rod came out,knocked a big chunk of crankcase out and those two pieces knocked the starter about 3/4 the way off and until that got fixed,the fool thing wasn't going to start,and the starter is obviously an electrical component so it was an electrical problem in he final analysis.  Last I saw them they were all shaking vtheir heads.....

Edited by greg g