Timing chain suppliers

NiftyFifty

Gents,

So I pulled my timing cover to change out the front crank seal, and I find my chain is getting pretty loose so I'm considering a change, but so far not having a pile of luck sourcing just a chain.  I see Roberts has once listed that fits 33-54, but I don't really know 100% that my 251 ind fits into that time line, as it was from a Massey combine.  I don't see many other places offering anything other then Kanters.com, but the reviews I read online are a bit scary and I don't need to get caught with someone who has bad service and may never ship my part.

Worst part right now, I just dropped about $700 Canadian by the time I convert it for my radiator from US rad, and the $75.00 chain from Roberts will easily run me like $120-130 Canadian once it's shipped and converted....so I was looking for a more economical source, especially when I may end up with the wrong chain.  Any sources I'm missing? Powerwagon was more like $99 us, so they're  more then Roberts, and oldmpoarparts.com only shows complete kits and my gears seem to be in pretty good shape yet.  

After already dropping $300 before the rad order, on king pins and shocks and panhard bar, I'm bleeding money again on this truck and I've got to find a band aid somewhere 

31 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

This isn't a band-aide but if it were me I would call and talk to Jens at VPW. He is very knowledgeable and should be able to tell you what the correct chain is for that application. I fitted a chain I bought from them to my old sprockets and no problem there.

Jeff

Only VPW I get when I google is a parts supplier in Australia...am I missing something?

LOL....oh...yes, they show in stock, but it was $99 vs Roberts $75, and Kanters $44.81.

I solved my issue in the last couple hours...after a few unassuring phone calls with those suppliers, I kept digging on eBay changing my search over and over and found a NOS one from Sealed Power for $40 shipped for free....I know they have it, it’s a well rated seller and I was able to use all their pictures to ensure mine matched...I wasn’t getting far with retail sellers on that front

You might keep in mind that most, if not nearly all, engine builders suggest strongly that timing chain and gears be replaced as a set. 

And bleeding cash is the name of the game.  How else are you going to spend 20k on a truck that will bring 7 or 8k on a good day?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lonejacklarry said:

You might keep in mind that most, if not nearly all, engine builders suggest strongly that timing chain and gears be replaced as a set. 

And bleeding cash is the name of the game.  How else are you going to spend 20k on a truck that will bring 7 or 8k on a good day?

Im already at 20K I’m sure...but there are other expenses then trucks....like my car! LOL  If this was a high hp engine and or I had long trips planned, I would go for the set, but this truck is lucky if it sees a 1000 miles in a year sometimes...it will survive with a chain.