Alternative trans

bergy

Hi to everyone

I’m going with a 53 Desoto hemi which has a 37 lasalle 3 speed. Everything has been running in a 39 Ford. I’m putting this into  my 53 b4. The only kink is that the lasalle trans is not synconized for 1st gear, I’m not sure if this will effect my driving habits, but it’s a concern now that’s all apart.like to know how hard it would be to mate up gm trans top loader,and what I can use. Thanks

Bergy,

Learn how to double-clutch your trans into first gear! EVERY good street racer in the '60s knew how to do this.

Walt

• Thanks 1

49d is spot on.   To down shift from any gear in any transmission, I clutch, rev up the engine and position to the lower gear, then clutch again. By maintaining slight pressure on the lower gear, the transmission will "draw" the lower gear in when the engine drive shaft and the pinion shaft are ar equal RPM'S.  I once could shift up and down with this method without even using the clutch, others on this forum have done the same. It's called DRIVING! 

Try it, it's fun to do.

perhaps a mention to a GM related forum would net a list of possible transmission updates without having to reinvent the wheel.....or you can try this post over on the AACA in regard to the LaS model vehicle...these cars are far and few between so I would think that crowd would be  pretty up to speed with retro...

• 2 weeks later...