doors interior trim

fede

Hello everyone!

The car is finally getting closer to being complete.  New tires and tubes went in, the seats are done and istalled and on monday the car goes back to the upholstery shop for the doors and floor, and after that alignment and a couple of electrical details.

But, about the door trim, are the things in the pic called "escutcheons"? (asking to know what to seach on ebay)

Any tip on where to get them? Some of the ones on the car are quite damaged and I would like to get new ones.

Thanks!

DSC_0457.png

I got mine from Mac's Antique Auto parts, who deal in Ford stuff, but many of the door handles, escutcheons, etc are close if not the same as Chrysler.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_early/catalogsearch/result/?q=escutchion&x=23&y=15

Good luck!

Hi Fede.

I see you are restoring a 1946 DeSoto!  I am restoring a 1942 DeSoto (I have two of them, actually), and I need (interior) door panels.  Did you have to restore yours, or were they OK?  Any suggestions on where to find used door panels?  And....where do you find old car parts in Montevideo??

9 hours ago, casper50 said:

Yes that's what they are called.  I got my rare dark green ones off of ebay.  The cream color is more easily found.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2315708.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1948+.TRS0&_nkw=1948+escutcheons&_sacat=0

Thanks! I made a bid on a pair that seem to be equal to mine, now let's hope I'm the only one

5 hours ago, Dartgame said:

Some of them are stainless without the plastic color insert. Possible alternate as a fall back.

I guess it could work, I'll have it mind in case I can't find enough of the color ones, or they get too expensive.

5 hours ago, jyinger said:

Hi Fede.

I see you are restoring a 1946 DeSoto!  I am restoring a 1942 DeSoto (I have two of them, actually), and I need (interior) door panels.  Did you have to restore yours, or were they OK?  Any suggestions on where to find used door panels?  And....where do you find old car parts in Montevideo??

Are your DeSoto's the american models? I have to redo the panels because the car was reupholstered on the late 70s, so the originals are long gone. And the ones they made were pretty bad. Luckly, the design was pretty much kept, so the curved chrome bar was retained (I assume it was placed more or less on the same place).

I have no idea were to find used door panels really.  The few DeSotos (or Plymouths or Dodges) like this that exists here are in quite bad shape.  We looked into a couple of junkyards, but all the interiors were pretty (or totally) gone.

About old car parts here... there are not many options.  some mechanical bits, like the gaskets, can be found on old stores, and other little things I bought online in USA and then have it shipped.  The car has been in the family since the late 50s, and it was complete and in good shape, so there were not many parts really needed.

Yes, American models.  Regarding the door panels:  I am in luck.  I have a 1946 parts car which has beat-up door panes in the trunk.  They are slightly different than the 1942s, but I have some real good photos or the 42s, and a real good upholstery guy who can use the junk ones as templates and then make new ones copying the patterns from the photos.  Yes, yours will have the curved trim piece, whereas the 42s  have a long horizontal chrome piece three inches down from the top.  I think I have a photo.....

1942DeSotoDash.jpg