vacation

chuck 47 plym

My family and I are planning a vacation road trip this summer from southeast MO to Mt Rushmore, to Yellowstone then to Colorado then back to southeast MO. Does anyone that lives or have been in those areas have any suggestions on other places to go and things to see? 

Yep, and it is right on your route.  Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City, MO is where to eat lunch on your route.  Leave fairly early and you and be in KC in 5 hours, give or take.  You will pass the KC Royals/KC Chiefs stadiums (stadia?) on your left as you come into town.  If you like BBQ then this is the place.  It is the tourist attraction in KC.  There also is the Liberty Memorial and other stuff but BBQ is big here.

If you go in late summer you will be within 30 miles from Mt Rushmore to the Sturgis S.D. motorcycle rally. Held this year August 3rd.-12th.

100's of  thousands of motorcycles!! :) ,for some people :o

The good part of the Sturgis rally is that Yellowstone is not very crowded during this time. May also want to stop by Devils Tower in Wyoming about a hours drive from sturgis headed west

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
add info.

19 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

Yep, and it is right on your route.  Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City, MO is where to eat lunch on your route.  Leave fairly early and you and be in KC in 5 hours, give or take.  You will pass the KC Royals/KC Chiefs stadiums (stadia?) on your left as you come into town.  If you like BBQ then this is the place.  It is the tourist attraction in KC.  There also is the Liberty Memorial and other stuff but BBQ is big here.

We were just in KC over Christmas. We ate at a place called A Little BBQ Joint. It looked like a hole in the wall from the outside but it was excellent. 

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎01 at 9:49 PM, Don Coatney said:

Mount Rushmore is well worth the trip.

Rushmore.jpg

Congratulations, Don! Never really heard of President Coatney until now but I'm sure you would do a lot better job than some.

On 2/1/2018 at 10:49 PM, Don Coatney said:

Rushmore.jpg

That place is getting scarier all the time !!! You are a creative thinker Don !

• Like 1

Don't know about car events but we were out that way about 10 years ago.  We saw more wildlife bison coyote antelope, elk, marmots,  etc. in Custer State park near Rushmore, than we did in Yellowstone.  There is also a section of the state park called the Needles which allows you to drive through some very interesting rock formations. Stayed overnight in Rapid City did the Custer Loop, then headed to Cody as a base for Yellowstone 

https://gfp.sd.gov/parks

Plan at least two days for Yellowstone, and set your sensors for weird. We went after labor day so none of the parks were busy traffic wise,July may be a completely different story. Before you go get a National parks vehicle pass. If some one in the family is over 65 I think you can get it for $10. Got ours two years ago, might be more now but gives you unlimited access to National Parks, unless of course our wonderful leader gets around to privatizing them before you go. Some entrances have express lanes for folks with the pass.  You get a credit card sized pass card and a hanger for rear view mirror.  

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by greg g

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎01 at 9:49 PM, Don Coatney said:

Rushmore.jpg

I can see wisdom in those faces...:)

2 hours ago, greg g said:

Don't know about car events but we were out that way about 10 years ago.  We saw more wildlife bison coyote antelope, elk, marmots,  etc. in Custer State park near Rushmore, than we did in Yellowstone.  There is also a section of the state park called the Needles which allows you to drive through some very interesting rock formations. Stayed overnight in Rapid City did the Custer Loop, then headed to Cody as a base for Yellowstone 

https://gfp.sd.gov/parks

Plan at least two days for Yellowstone, and set your sensors for weird. We went after labor day so none of the parks were busy traffic wise,July may be a completely different story. Before you go get a National parks vehicle pass. If some one in the family is over 65 I think you can get it for $10. Got ours two years ago, might be more now but gives you unlimited access to National Parks, unless of course our wonderful leader gets around to privatizing them before you go. Some entrances have express lanes for folks with the pass.  You get a credit card sized pass card and a hanger for rear view mirror.  

Enjoy your trip.

Thank you I didn't know anything about a pass. 

2 hours ago, greg g said:

. . . Before you go get a National parks vehicle pass. If some one in the family is over 65 I think you can get it for $10. Got ours two years ago, might be more now but gives you unlimited access to National Parks, unless of course our wonderful leader gets around to privatizing them before you go. Some entrances have express lanes for folks with the pass.  You get a credit card sized pass card and a hanger for rear view mirror.  

Enjoy your trip.

26 minutes ago, chuck 47 plym said:

Thank you I didn't know anything about a pass. 

The lifetime senior National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass is available for US citizens 62 and older. Price used to be $10 but they raised it to something like $80 plus some handling fee last year. Good for more than just the National Parks. For instance, the National Forests in Southern California require an "Adventure Pass", $5/day or $20/year, for some areas. And there are National Seashore and BLM areas that have a fee. The above pass covers all of that, so even at the higher price it is a pretty good deal if you visit pretty near any Federal recreation area. I got one a few years ago. Took a little time from when I ordered it to when it arrived, so you may want to start that process a a bit before your trip.

I've known Don to be hard headed, didn't think it was that hard! 

Yellowstone is huge, would take a week to see it all, so do some research to maximize your visit. Was there three years ago. 

Took I-90 across southern Minnesota to get to South Dakota  when I took the family to Mt.Rushmore a few years ago. Stopped at Wall Drug in Wall, SD and the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD.

Didn't realize it until after the fact but drove close to the Pioneer Auto Museum in Murdo, SD. Looks like it would have been a worthwhile stop.

Edited by iowa51

• 1 month later...

Suggestion: after Yellowstone make your way SE to Cheyenne Wy. Goto Denver Via SI-25.  Head West looking for Estes Park Exits. Visit "The Shining" Hotel starring Jack Nicholson. Head West to visit Rocky Mountain National Park for a day or two. Return to Denver and head I-70 East thru Kansas. veer down somewhere to goto SE Missouri and home. Enjoy!

Both the Corn Palace and Pioneer car museum are great they have a Darin, 38 Cord, 46 Dodge bizzy coupe, Amphib car and a plymouth push me pull you car. and lots more. The gas station next to it is Indian owned so it has slot machines....also stayed in one of the hotels for the night right next to it.