Speedometer Repair Facilities

Branded

Looking for recommendations on speedometer repair shops. My 49 Dodge Wayfarer speedometer is in need of repair. I believe it’s a magnet issue but then I’m not a speedometer repairman. Odometer is functioning correctly in a given mile but the speedometer is not registering right. 

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on a reputable shop.

Edited by Branded

http://dandmrestoration.com/speedometer-repair/ founf this guy on the web have not used but this guy look as if he know how to fix a speedometer

At D&M Restoration, we specialize in complete speedometer repair and restoration. Without an accurate and functional speedometer, any classic car restoration project would not be complete.We have the necessary facilities for rebuilding and restoring all antique, classic and vintage car speedometers; including Stewart Warner, King Seeley, Waltham, Autolite, Northeast, AC Delco, Faria, Jaeger, etc.

D&M Restoration can work with speedometers from any make and model of vintage, classic, antique or muscle car. We do extensive work with (but are not limited to) Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Pontiac, GM, Ferrari, BMW, Corvette, Firebird, Camaro, Chevelle, Corvair, Mustang, Thunderbird!

image.png.d2c3bc74919741f22a01e5f9deb59e63.png

image.png.7dd7136581b2518cf5d4a0cf24eeb712.png

image.png.80e2a7985f9079e687ae280d2b3e9393.png

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks Rich but, I’m looking for shops that folks have actually used with good results. I’ve done a Google search and found several but I hate to use someone that can’t repair or stand behind their work. Hope this makes sense.

13 minutes ago, 52b3b Joe said:

I've used Bob's Speedometer in Michigan with good results. I don't think any of the speedometer repair shops are cheap! 

Thanks Joe, for the heads up on Bobs Speedometer. What’s the ball park price for a repair, I understand it depends on extent of repairs.

11 minutes ago, busycoupe said:

I don’t know what you have tried with your speedometer, but some times problems like registering too slow or a bouncing needle can be remedied with a couple of drops of oil in the oil hole behind the speedometer head.  

Yes I’ve tried the lubricant still having issues. I actually have the 2 speedometers  out and on the bench. One reads almost half of what it should be which I think it’s  a magnet that’s lost it magnetism. The other one I have bounces between 0-25 mph then smooths out.

Edited by Branded

32 minutes ago, Branded said:

Thanks Joe, for the heads up on Bobs Speedometer. What’s the ball park price for a repair, I understand it depends on extent of repairs.

I spent around $400 have mine repaired and calibrated. I about fell over when they told me that! I even sent them my spare speedometer to use for parts. They said they were both in pretty bad shape though. It works great now, and the past is the past....

I'd call around and get verbal quotes first! I went there based on other people I know, and I wanted a fast turnaround. I sent it on a Monday and had it back by Friday. I have no issues with their work, but be prepared to spend money.

3 hours ago, Branded said:

Thanks Joe, maybe for 400 bucks I’ll deal with the issues and use the one that bounces between 0-25 mph. LOL

The bouncing may be a cable issue. Is your cable lubricated well? You can bench test your speedometer using a multi speed electric drill.

drilll.jpg

60mph.jpg

I've been using Morris at West Valley Instruments since he rebuilt my guages in 1979 for my MGTD. They are still working (yes I still have and drive the car). Since then he has done several other cars for me.  I highly recommend him and plan to have him do my projects before he retires.

http://westvalleyinstruments.com/

7 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

The bouncing may be a cable issue. Is your cable lubricated well? You can bench test your speedometer using a multi speed electric drill.

drilll.jpg

60mph.jpg

Its not cable related, the speedometer is on the bench and tested in the same manner as you showing in the picture, still same issues as when installed in car. Therefore proving the problem is in the speedometer itself 

7 hours ago, JSabah said:

I've been using Morris at West Valley Instruments since he rebuilt my guages in 1979 for my MGTD. They are still working (yes I still have and drive the car). Since then he has done several other cars for me.  I highly recommend him and plan to have him do my projects before he retires.

http://westvalleyinstruments.com/

Thanks for for the lead 

Shannon from "Redline" has resurrected speedometers for me.  And not only that, he can repaint them to perfect OE condition!  He will do custom artwork too...  I have NEVER been let down.  My 2¢ worth...  

https://redlinegaugeworks.com/

• Thanks 1