My truck at Cheatham Street Warehouse

Bobacuda

In San Marcos, TX.  This is the beer joint and live music venue where George Strait got his start (and I killed many brain cells...).  Back in the 70's, lots of good "cosmic cowboy-progressive country-Texana-Americana" musicians have played there, as well as a mix of other musical genre.  We used to see Strait for $0.50 when he started and $5 when he hit it big.  Got to see Townes Van Zandt, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Rusty Weir, Alvin Crow, Jerry Jeff Walker and others up close - never paid more than $2 to $5.  Pitcher of Pearl (Texas beer) was $1 from noon till 6 - best way to get over the stress from math and chemistry exams.

IMG_1057.JPG

• Like 4

that is Awesome Bob!

$.50!!! we spent 1000x that to see him in Vegas two years ago.

hey, that building remind me where we took our beef to be processed last year :lol:

Awesome venue and cool photos of your truck by it...but Pearl?  When I returned to Texas in '86, I was looking for "good" swilling beer. Pearl didn't make that cut...and that was with low expectations...;)  If I recall correctly (not guaranteed by any means), Pearl went out of production for a while, then someone picked up the recipe and reintroduced it, about the time I went on that quest.  Regardless, excellent photos and story, thanks for posting.

Edited by Dan Hiebert

Plymouthcanbrook's guess on the band prices should have been for the 1975 - 1983 time period.  During that time, the legal drinking age in Texas was 18 yrs old, and every college town in Texas had a live music beer joint on just about every other corner - held the prices down, I guess.  Most of the acts played for a small amount of the gate and a % of beer sales.

BTW, fresh longnecks of Pearl, or draft from a fresh keg (prior to Stroh's purchasing the brewery) were excellent.  After they Pearl was sold to Stroh's, it was not the same.  I switched over full time to Shiner Bock.

Edited by Bobacuda

On 2/5/2018 at 1:31 PM, Bobacuda said:

Plymouthcanbrook's guess on the band prices should have been for the 1975 - 1983 time period.  During that time, the legal drinking age in Texas was 18 yrs old, and every college town in Texas had a live music beer joint on just about every other corner - held the prices down, I guess.  Most of the acts played for a small amount of the gate and a % of beer sales.

BTW, fresh longnecks of Pearl, or draft from a fresh keg (prior to Stroh's purchasing the brewery) were excellent.  After they Pearl was sold to Stroh's, it was not the same.  I switched over full time to Shiner Bock.

i was being facetious

Cheatham Street Warehouse was a converted train warehouse and definitely a honky-tonk, country music dive...in other words, a great place.  One thing everyone that went there remembers is that they did not discourage bathroom wall graffiti - as long as it had wit and not just profanity.  The walls (and ceiling) were covered.  Two classics I still remember are:

"I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

"Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate motherf-----."

I still find myself quoting those on occasion.

• Haha 1