Who does this??????

frcc16

I have been working on my Meadowbrook for over 3 years now.   Finally got around to change out the battery cables and just noticed this!!!!   This can't be from the factory!?!?  Seriously?  Attaching the ground cable under a head bolt?  

Where is the ground cable supposed to be connected?

batterycable.jpg

this was just discussed a few days back....and I believe it was mentioned one guy had all his head bolts in this design....there are a number of accessories that also use this style head bolt for mounting.  You can try a couple of the venders listed on our reference pages, Bernbaum, Roberts and or VPW 

Ok kiddies, time to gather around for a story.

Just what I heard and no idea if true.

Originally connected to generator, when brushes would get worn the. Ground would fail, but you had a warning that your charging system was failing. People instead moved the ground to ignore charging issues?

I believe the generator support was the engineered original as there is a special bolt specified for the purpose. My second choice is the tapped head head bolt.  I have also seen ground cables attached to the bolt for the thermostat housing, and as pictured under a regular head bolt.So the one on the gen mount bracket might provide the same electrical path as one attached to the generator body.

Electrically speaking it doesn't matter how or where the ground is established as long as the path provides continuity.

1 hour ago, greg g said:

I believe the generator support was the engineered original as there is a special bolt specified for the purpose. My second choice is the tapped head head bolt.  I have also seen ground cables attached to the bolt for the thermostat housing, and as pictured under a regular head bolt.So the one on the gen mount bracket might provide the same electrical path as one attached to the generator body.

Electrically speaking it doesn't matter how or where the ground is established as long as the path provides continuity.

I think p15s stock used the special generator mount bolt. I believe the later cars switched to using that special headbolt

• 1 month later...