everdry kit

bluefoxamazone

hi,

Somewhere in my spare parts archive.... I have found a brandnew set of "everdry" spark plug covers and new sparkplug wires laying around.

Is it worth installing this or just a "nice to have" thing or simply worthless....?

I have just downloaded the instruction sheet that some great colleague once has put on this wonderfull forum, but I don't get much wiser.

Is there realy no washer or gasket needed (that is what the instruction says) between the head and the everdry cup? Is this gas tight..? The standard washer on the plug seals onto the everdry cup surface (or do I have to remove this one...?) but what makes it airtight between the cup and the head..or does the cup material act as a washer/seal.. dono...weird solution..

Thanks for any answer to my (sometimes stupid)  questions.. grtz

image.png.4f43c6f334a9cca585666dcbd27832a2.png

Edited by bluefoxamazone

If you have them why not use them? I think they were mainly for the older models that had the split hood, where water could dip down and collect in the spark plug recess. My '41 came with them already installed and the spark plug gaskets had not been removed, seemed like a sealed fit, but I imagine the electrode would be higher in the combustion chamber. 

I'd like to have a set because I have a car with a split hood,and rainwater weeps past the seal and fills/rusts the spark plugs and the recess in the hood. I am considering just using regular household caulking in the recess when I redo the car if I can't find a set,though. Right now the car paint is so bad I just used duct tape and don't worry about it. The chrome piece that covers the gap is missing,and it would probably work to keep the rain water out,but I don't have one and am not sure I want to use one on the car when it is finished.

BTW,I THINK this kit was mostly used in military vehicles or in trucks originally,but I guess it was also popular with the cars  that used the hoods with hinges in the middle.

Edited by knuckleharley

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

I'd like to have a set because I have a car with a split hood,and rainwater weeps past the seal and fills/rusts the spark plugs and the recess in the hood. I am considering just using regular household caulking in the recess when I redo the car if I can't find a set,though. Right now the car paint is so bad I just used duct tape and don't worry about it. The chrome piece that covers the gap is missing,and it would probably work to keep the rain water out,but I don't have one and am not sure I want to use one on the car when it is finished.

BTW,I THINK this kit was mostly used in military vehicles or in trucks originally,but I guess it was also popular with the cars  that used the hoods with hinges in the middle.

these sets are easy to find... I got mine from Andy Bernbaums,

grtz

• Like 1

I've been running a pickup with the evr-dry kit for over 30 years (same kit). You don't need the crush washer under the plug. It won't hurt if you leave it on though - no change. The kit keeps water from pooling around the plug and causing corrosion on the plug. The kit also stops corrosion between the tip of the plug and the terminal clip. I have three more flathead mopars which don't have the evr-dry kit. The kit looks cool and keeps things cleaner. If I had three more kits, I'd install them.

Edited by jeffsunzeri
typo

4 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

these sets are easy to find... I got mine from Andy Bernbaums,

grtz

Thanks,I will check them out.

I think they are a good conversation starter.  The ones I have seen on old engines in wrecking yards look like the caused more trouble than they prevented.  Looks like if water gets in them it stays in and causes more corrosion than normal.  My P15 does pick up water if it rains and some times during a wash but it boiled right out with heat.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bluefoxamazone said:

hi,

Somewhere in my spare parts archive.... I have found a brandnew set of "everdry" spark plug covers and new sparkplug wires laying around.

Is it worth installing this or just a "nice to have" thing or simply worthless....?

I have just downloaded the instruction sheet that some great colleague once has put on this wonderfull forum, but I don't get much wiser.

Is there realy no washer or gasket needed (that is what the instruction says) between the head and the everdry cup? Is this gas tight..? The standard washer on the plug seals onto the everdry cup surface (or do I have to remove this one...?) but what makes it airtight between the cup and the head..or does the cup material act as a washer/seal.. dono...weird solution..

Thanks for any answer to my (sometimes stupid)  questions.. grtz

image.png.4f43c6f334a9cca585666dcbd27832a2.png

I have the same set-up - what wonders me the most: with the mounting base in place the spark does not recess as far into the cylinder head than without. Is this not a problem?

1 hour ago, greg g said:

I think they are a good conversation starter.  The ones I have seen on old engines in wrecking yards look like the caused more trouble than they prevented.  Looks like if water gets in them it stays in and causes more corrosion than normal.  My P15 does pick up water if it rains and some times during a wash but it boiled right out with heat.

I suspect that is true of all the cars or trucks that are driven daily,but let one sit around a couple of weeks at a time or longer without running them enough to get up to normal temps,and you have rust. I have seen some so rusty no wrench or socket would fit the spark plugs.

1 hour ago, Thomba48 said:

I have the same set-up - what wonders me the most: with the mounting base in place the spark does not recess as far into the cylinder head than without. Is this not a problem?

it is indeed strange that they do not recommend a somewhat longer spark plug to compensate....IF you leave the standard spark plug washer/seal plus the sheet metal thickness we are talking a thickness change of about 1mm ( ;-) ) Apparently this doesn't seem to bother the ignition....

I got a new kit in an unopened box.   Nice artifact.  I will keep it in my showcase for some future project.

Most all the Chrysler's came stock with the Evr-Dry covers/cups from the factory.. both flathead six and eights up through 1950.

6 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Most all the Chrysler's came stock with the Evr-Dry covers/cups from the factory.. both flathead six and eights up through 1950.

They can't be very rare because I bought a set from Bernbaum last night for 33 bucks,plus shipping.

They certainly are not rare!

Only on Plymouths and Dodges... they never came with them from the factory.

DeSoto's not sure.

But it  seems there are plenty of kits to those who want them today.

Gents,

In my humble opinion: One can tighten the Plugs down into their place as tight as one wishes, however, water, will find its way - if its going to - though a split Hood for example down into the plug Cavity and around the Plug. I believe I have heard down through the  Centuries - I mean Decades as these being called "Ever Wet  Spark Plug Covers". Water finds its own Level - that is - full into the spark Plug cavities. I also find them too expensive for my tastes as well. But then again I remember Coke selling for 10 Cents a Bottle and getting a 5 Cent Deposit back for the Bottle. Don't get mad at me I just see these as after Market Gimmick Items. Restored Cars do not don them. Only in the buyer's minds.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tom Skinner said:

Gents,

In my humble opinion: One can tighten the Plugs down into their place as tight as one wishes, however, water, will find its way - if its going to - though a split Hood for example down into the plug Cavity and around the Plug. I believe I have heard down through the  Centuries - I mean Decades as these being called "Ever Wet  Spark Plug Covers". Water finds its own Level - that is - full into the spark Plug cavities. I also find them too expensive for my tastes as well. But then again I remember Coke selling for 10 Cents a Bottle and getting a 5 Cent Deposit back for the Bottle. Don't get mad at me I just see these as after Market Gimmick Items. Restored Cars do not don them. Only in the buyer's minds.

Tom

I must agree with Tom. I have always viewed these as ever wet as they trap water in the head cavity making evaporation difficult. In my opinion running naked is a much better option.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

I must agree with Tom. I have always viewed these as ever wet as they trap water in the head cavity making evaporation difficult. In my opinion running naked is a much better option.

Don,Tom,I have been told that they fill the cavity in the head around the spark plug so that no water gets down there.

At any rate,I just ordered a set from Andy Bernbaum,and will let you know how well them work on my flat 6 non-Mopar with a split hood  because water in the spark plug recesses has been a problem with that one ever since I have owned it.

I would think with a head that rusted it must have been devoid of all engine paint for a very very long time. If you have the head properly coated with paint including the spark plug recesses, water shouldn’t really be a problem. As far as the everdry kits are concerned, they may or may not be “More show than go”. The key is painting the cups inside and out. I like the look of the kit on my Spitfire head. Gives the engine a clean “Buttoned up” look. To each his own now and as they say “That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. LOL.

• Like 1

picked up a set when I got my sedan 8 years back, installed them and noticed after I washed the car that the water was now trapped outside of the cup in the spark plug well. Removed them not too long after my freshly painted head started to look ugly from water stains.  I also tried with and without the washers under the cups, theory was that since there is a small machine groove in the spark plug hole that the everdry cup may not deform that far to make a good seal. I found no noticeable difference in performance, and since the car really only gets wet in when washing, I decided to run naked.

• Thanks 1