How To Tell If My Truck is All Original

Randy Walker

Hello guys was hoping to get some feedback on how to tell if a 1953 Dodge Truck is original? I'm coming from the world of muscle cars so is keeping a Dodge Truck original just as important as keeping a muscle car original? If so how do I tell, is matching numbers important? If so where is all the numbers that's important located at?  

I like all my projects to be as original as it can I just need something to tell me this is supposed to be there and so on and so on. 

Thanks in Advance 

you can purchase books published by man named Dunn.....pictorials and some data within the bindings...start with this...if confused after looking at these models compared to yours, individual questions of "what is what" would be then address openly..asking a moderator to move this entry to the truck forum would better reach the truck audience

Actually the book author is Don Bunn, and he has published several books on Dodge trucks. The one you want is called "Dodge B-Series Trucks, Restorer's & Collector's Reference Guide and History". It has a lot of great information on our trucks.

As for originality... that all depends on what you want. My truck is mostly original and I enjoy it. Mark's (ggdad1951) truck is about as original as any I know and it is awesome. I also know of several that are modified and they are very nice too. I don't know that either way detracts form it's value.

As for "Numbers Matching", the only numbers that seem to count are the engine number (stamped into the block just above the generator) and the chassis serial number (on the ID tag on the left side A pillar, and stamped into the frame, left side near the front axle). Often times the title is registered to the engine number, and the engine has been replaced with something else over the years. This can create some issues with the DMV. 

Book.jpg.a41770e7aff024567d4f5f4f18ce4962.jpg

Edited by Merle Coggins

3 hours ago, Randy Walker said:

Hello guys was hoping to get some feedback on how to tell if a 1953 Dodge Truck is original? I'm coming from the world of muscle cars so is keeping a Dodge Truck original just as important as keeping a muscle car original? If so how do I tell, is matching numbers important? If so where is all the numbers that's important located at?  

I like all my projects to be as original as it can I just need something to tell me this is supposed to be there and so on and so on. 

Thanks in Advance 

For many people originality is important regardless of what type of vehicle it is,but you can't compare the value of original muscle cars and original trucks. Original muscle cars sell for stoopid money,and original trucks usually sell for roughly the same price as "mostly original" trucks unless you are talking about dedicated show trucks that ride around in closed carriers and are pushed around so engine  heat doesn't discolor anything.

Other than making sure all your serial numbers match those on your title,don't worry about it if you plan on driving and enjoying your truck as a truck.

The only intention I had when restoring my 52 DeSoto truck (back in 2005) was to make it as original as I possibly could... mainly as I intended to take the original owner for a drive once the project was completed (which I did a few years back - Ernest passed away recently not long after his 100th birthday). The decision of whether to restore to original or to resto-mod it (for improved safety) can really boil down to a huge dollar difference in my opinion. I spent a lot of money on my 52 truck buying NOS (or very good condition) parts in order to maintain originality. In reality, I have actually ended up with a truck (painted in 2-pack rather than enamel) which is probably far better than was originally turned out from the factory back in the 50's as I don't feel that they weren't too fussy back then with body gaps and finishes etc. The point I am trying to make is that the decision to remain original or improve with modern day components is one which requires quite some consideration. I do wish you well with your venture.

Food for thought... Hank and I spent some time with Jay Leno in Burbank CA before heading to the BBQ last year. He sure has some beautifully restored cars in his collection. I saw in an interview with him recently where he was of the opinion that old car prices in the future would be far higher for those in original 'patina' rather than those which had been restored.

52 DeSoto.JPG

Me Leno Hank.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Desotodav said:

The only intention I had when restoring my 52 DeSoto truck (back in 2005) was to make it as original as I possibly could... mainly as I intended to take the original owner for a drive once the project was completed (which I did a few years back - Ernest passed away recently not long after his 100th birthday). The decision of whether to restore to original or to resto-mod it (for improved safety) can really boil down to a huge dollar difference in my opinion. I spent a lot of money on my 52 truck buying NOS (or very good condition) parts in order to maintain originality. In reality, I have actually ended up with a truck (painted in 2-pack rather than enamel) which is probably far better than was originally turned out from the factory back in the 50's as I don't feel that they weren't too fussy back then with body gaps and finishes etc. The point I am trying to make is that the decision to remain original or improve with modern day components is one which requires quite some consideration. I do wish you well with your venture.

Food for thought... Hank and I spent some time with Jay Leno in Burbank CA before heading to the BBQ last year. He sure has some beautifully restored cars in his collection. I saw in an interview with him recently where he was of the opinion that old car prices in the future would be far higher for those in original 'patina' rather than those which had been restored.

52 DeSoto.JPG

Me Leno Hank.jpg

Before,you just had money. Money is only good for spending.  Once spent,it's gone forever. You spent the money,and how you have a nice truck that's not going to get spent,will be right there as long as you want it,and will put a smile on your face as it removes stress every time you get behind the wheel.

I call that a hell of a good swap.

• Like 1