hood bumper diamensions- 1947 P-15

DJ194950

Need some info on correct sizes for the rubber bumpers that go on the top side of fenders-6 taller from radiator to cowl area and two short in front of the radiator also on top.

current one appear to short measuring 1/4" tall by 9/16" diameter. Fit into 5/16  hole for the 6 at least -front not sure at this point.

Also where did you purchase them,

Thanks,

DJ

I have a very dried up & broken one from my '46 that appears to be about 3/8" in height.  I have a couple of taller ones that I brought back from Brazil, that were used on the Kombi.  They appear to be 15 mm in height (+/- 9/16"), but they could be cut down. (The base appears to be just slightly larger in diameter, but since mine is so dried up, I don't know what the original diameter was. It also diminishes in diameter more than the original MoPar one does.)  I haven't tried these VW Kombi ones on the Plymouth, because I forgot to take them along the last time I visited my parents, where my car is stored (900 + miles away).  The Kombi is no longer being manufactured, but these bumpers may still be available in Brazil.  

Thanks for the reply.

Can someone actually measure some new parts they are using that appear to work right and where you purchased them,

Thank you,

DJ

Thanks to busycoupe!

DJ

I believe I got mine from Dave Kruse in Calif. who makes them......and numerous other rubber items, like a gas tank

filler grommet - plus much more.  His contact info is:  

We are looking for other samples of small rubber parts years 32-56 Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto and Chrysler to make replacement  parts just like or as close to OEM parts.

Dave Kruse       8424 Avenida Leon,  Rancho Cucamonga, California  91730
Email      krusn64@aol.com or Call 1-909-239-7932 ask for Dave

He has a parts list available.   
  •  

Thanks to all you replied!

I thought that the bumpers would actually stand a bit above the outer lip. Wrong it appears.

Has anyone been able to contact Dave  Kruse in the past year or so?

I bought some rubber parts from him years ago and he was selling on Ebay back then also. He is not selling on Ebay anymore and I remember a forum conversation a year or so ago about not being able to contact him?

DJ

3 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Thanks to all you replied!

I thought that the bumpers would actually stand a bit above the outer lip. Wrong it appears.

Has anyone been able to contact Dave  Kruse in the past year or so?

I bought some rubber parts from him years ago and he was selling on Ebay back then also. He is not selling on Ebay anymore and I remember a forum conversation a year or so ago about not being able to contact him?

DJ

The tall bumpers on my car came from my local hardware store. They fit perfectly in the holes and were quite close if not the same height as the originals. PM me I can check if they still have them

Hardware stores are a good idea.

Up till several years ago our local Orchard Supply had great assortment of all kinds of small parts. Now have  only a small selection is there. Needed more room for Craftsman? uh-sears? tools, clothing other  junk!

Local True Value may still be a good place to look!

Thanks ED.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

I hope he will still sells some of his mopar rubber parts.

They were  well made and priced reasonably back a few years ago!

Could use a few I waited to buy later- too much later! :huh:

DJ

• 5 months later...
On 1/31/2018 at 11:19 PM, BobT-47P15 said:

DSC03217.jpgI think this one is about 3/16 tall.      The two on the very front curve a very thin.100_2275.jpg

Since I bought my car with the fenders already off (and that was back in 1980), I just want to make sure how many of these bumpers are used, and how many sizes there are.  It appears from your description that there are four of the taller bumpers (2 each side) toward the rear, and then two at the front, which are shorter in height.  Is this correct?  I can't quite read your ruler.  Are the front ones about half the height of the rear ones (ie, 3/32")?

On 1/30/2018 at 8:34 PM, Eneto-55 said:

I have a very dried up & broken one from my '46 that appears to be about 3/8" in height.  I have a couple of taller ones that I brought back from Brazil, that were used on the Kombi.  They appear to be 15 mm in height (+/- 9/16"), but they could be cut down. (The base appears to be just slightly larger in diameter, but since mine is so dried up, I don't know what the original diameter was. It also diminishes in diameter more than the original MoPar one does.)  I haven't tried these VW Kombi ones on the Plymouth, because I forgot to take them along the last time I visited my parents, where my car is stored (900 + miles away).  The Kombi is no longer being manufactured, but these bumpers may still be available in Brazil.  

Here is a comparative photo of the Kombi rubber bumper, and a Plymouth one that is in better shape than the other I had here before. (The VW Kombi one is on the left.  You can see that it is more crown shaped than the original one.)

Hood bumper.JPG

• Like 1