1941 Headlight trim ring, what years fit???

Randy Curran

Only 1941.    The 40 is similar but the park light is much smaller and so is the fender opening.

I had a ring that turned up missing, also, but as I looked for replacements, I found a pair of one piece chromed sheetmetal bezels that accepted the same pot metal turn signal housing.  Don't know if this was a plant variation or a early part (in being one piece, it is similar to the '40 part).IMG_3505.jpg.e5bd48987ba06803bb47b612d4ff50d2.jpg. Sorry, I don't have spares of either - just wanted to let you know what's out there.IMG_3504.jpg.21eacd198e9ac61aa1d9647c7beb7f3d.jpg

Dunno if these front on pics help you at all........from what I remember the headlight surrounds were unique to the 41 Plymouth........as for the side moldings........I bought this car only thru pics the owner sent and it wasn't till I had it a couple of days that I realised that the molding from the hood front to the rear of the body was actually a STICKON aftermarket plastic chromed molding 1/2" or 3/4" wide...........as the Coupe body was never sold here in Oz I didn't even think about trying to find, let alone ship the correct moldings out from the USA and just left the stick on moldings as they were.......no one EVER picked the stick on moldings in the 6-7yrs that I owned the car, maybe because no on had ever or rarely seen a 41 Plymouth Coupe here in Oz...........BTW I have a 1936-1942 Master Parts List Manual and it appears that the piece that goes between the headlight lens and the outer headlight surround IS unique to that year.......my Oz built 1940 Dodge Sedan is 1940 Plymouth based and uses the 1940 Plymouth headlights surrounds which I was able to compare to the 41 Plymouth at the time and it seems that the 41 Plymouth used an extra piece which you are looking for which acts as sort of a filler piece between the headlight surround and the headlight lens retaining piece.............. btw I have also attached a pic I have of a mates 1940 US Dodge Coupe headlight, I took this pic to compare it to what my Oz Dodge has......note that the US 1940 Dodge "may" have something that "may" help.............regards, Andy Douglas.      

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

The headlight surrounds that my 41 Plymouth had were pot metal with a separate pot metal parking light piece on the top.............that pressed sheetmetal "bracket" on the left of RNR's 1st pic was NOT used on my 1941 Plymouth and I have never seen such a piece except today when I notice that its pictured and included in the 1936-42 Master Parts List Book.........as a Headlamp Door Reinforcement and used on both P11 & P12's after certain serial numbers...................I'd hazard a guess in that the original cars came with the pot metal surrounds then Plymouth came out with the sheet metal surrounds and used the sheet metal bracket to reinforce that assembly...................HOWEVER...........looking at RNR's pics it seems like he has two different headlight surrounds neither of which appear the same as what I had..............lol.....................bizzar!!...........RNR does that sheetmetal reinforcement piece actually fit into the headlight surround you have?....................andyd

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

The headlight surrounds that my 41 Plymouth had were pot metal with a separate pot metal parking light piece on the top.............that pressed sheetmetal "bracket" on the left of RNR's 1st pic was NOT used on my 1941 Plymouth and I have never seen such a piece except today when I notice that its pictured and included in the 1936-42 Master Parts List Book.........as a Headlamp Door Reinforcement and used on both P11 & P12's after certain serial numbers...................I'd hazard a guess in that the original cars came with the pot metal surrounds then Plymouth came out with the sheet metal surrounds and used the sheet metal bracket to reinforce that assembly...................HOWEVER...........looking at RNR's pics it seems like he has two different headlight surrounds neither of which appear the same as what I had..............lol.....................bizzar!!...........RNR does that sheetmetal reinforcement piece actually fit into the headlight surround you have?....................andyd

Hi Andy - yes, the reinforcement (which is sheet metal also) has four threaded lugs on the back that are bolted to the fender from the backside (like the chromed pot metal version does on my car) and the chromed sheet metal headlight door (the correct term) screws to the reinforcement with three exposed chrome Philips screws.  In the top picture on the right, the chrome door is screwed to the reinforcement, and the bare reinforcement is on the left.  The same pot metal parking light piece fits both (you got me second guessing myself so I when out to the garage and checked!  I'm happy with the sheet metal versions - repairing pitted pot metal and chroming is getting pretty dear around here.  I figure I can strip and polish out the surface rust on the sheet metal and have somebody chrome powder coat them for far less and they will be plenty nice for my purposes. - Rick

Rick, I wish we could get some sort of definative answer regarding the various iterations of the same part..........I think  mother mopar may have used whatever was close to the production line at the time............your cars headlight surrounds in sheet metal are the 1st time I've heard of the 1941 Plymouth surrounds in sheet metal, all the ones I've seen for sale on ebay over the yrs,  pics of parts cars and the ones on my 41 Plymouth etc all were the pot metal ones............having said that tho'......since I started playing with Oz 1940 Dodges in 1969 I have found a total of 4 of the 1940 Plymouth based headlight surrounds that are stamped sheet metal, 2 rusted out but 2 were very good and I had rechromed and have lived on my car since the mid 70's........see attached pic............I have another 1/2 dozen diecast pot metal 1940 Plymouth style surrounds that i have taken from various 1940 Oz Dodges that I have wrecked as parts cars and all the diecast ones are either cracked or suffering a severe dose of the clap...........lol............so randy have our ravings been of any assistance?........lol.............regards, Andy Douglas        

P1000700 (800x600).jpg

That ring , I believe, is stainless and hides the adjuster screws as well as fills the gap. .Has a tab on top that tucks under the parking light housing and 1 screw under headlight that goes into diecast headlight housing

B9787D47-B5F3-4A04-84F0-77188ABA5B02.jpeg

there is a pair of 41 dodge headlight/ park lights on ebay right now. On the pics it appears the pieces you need interchange with the 41 dodge. ebay item 253327175669.  A little pricey if thats all you could use of them but just sharing the info so you could see them. 

Randy..........I just had a look at those 41 Dodge headlight surrounds etc that Junkers refers to and they DO appear to be the same piece that my 41 Plymouth used with the single screw at the bottom that held the piece on...........have a look yourself.........as Junkers says they are a little pricey but if you have a look at least then you'll have an idea of what you are looking for............andyd  

It definitely is a 1941 model year only but appears to be the same on Chrysler , DeSoto,Dodge, and Plymouth. I do not have a parts interchange catalog to prove it though.

Those are almost the same as ours but the turn signal is different.  And it's pricey!  ;)  But those are still missing the piece that goes around the headlight.  This is the piece we need for both sides.

B9787D47-B5F3-4A04-84F0-77188ABA5B02.jpeg.f85e55870b23e5c7be7bcbb22d46745f.jpeg

Edited by Randy Curran

Randy...what Junkers and myself mean is that the 1941 Dodge and Plymouth headlight assemblies use 3 things that go around the headlight lens.........1st or closest to the lens is a very thin stainless steel piece that holds the lens to the adjusting bucket(your cars has these still in place)................the 2nd is the stainless circular piece with a single screw at its bottom edge to hold it on(which appears to be missing in your 1st pic and what you want)..................the 3rd is the actual headlight surround which is different for each brand of mopar with regard to its overall shape and location of the parking light & lens(again which you have and don't need)...............but what it seems like is that the 2nd piece I referred to is basically the same for at least both Dodge and Plymouth which may make your search a little easier............thats all...........andyd    

• 2 weeks later...