Loose carb screws

pflaming

I was chauffeured to last years BBQ by Don Jordan. His 47 Plymouth ran very nicely yet as the drive up and back progressed, the engine would suddenly loose power down to a near idle, but then would recover, etc., etc.,. Later he discovered that the top of his carb was damp, so he tightened all the screws and bolts and drove home without incident. 

Yesterday i I was showing my engine to an interested person and noted my carb was damp on top. I got wrenches and discovered every screw and  nut to be just short of snug. Is this common? 

I regularly check my carb bolts as I have found them loose before. I suspect that one can strip the threads if one tightens those small bolts too much (hasn't happened to me yet though). I wondered if the moist gasket at the top had something to do with the float level being slightly off?

Edited by Desotodav

Don, I was going to ignore your observation, but if those of us with loose screws did not ask questions, guys like you would not have anyone to "help"!  Additionally, I can usually tighten a loose screw, but there are other maladies that are more difficult to diagnose and even more difficult to treat.  :o

Edited by pflaming

I'd be worried about this forum if anyone posting about loose screws didn't get some sort of wise crack about it! I wonder if some lock tight(don't use the real strong stuff) would do it

Ive often wondered if this happens   when we dont drive em for a while and the gaskets dryout and shrink..  then they gets fuel and swell again   but not to the same point as before....    I cant prove this   but ive wondered about it   having it happen on may diffrent engines