49 panel van showed up at the shop today

TrampSteer

Going to see if I can buy it. What do you think it is worth?

Not running

Missing starter and generator (suspicious low gauge wires replacing large gauge 6v wires)

One really rusty door hing

Lots of rust near rain gutters

Rolls

1/31/18 edit:

Guy showed up today finally and he wants to throw wads of cash at it. No chance to buy as we thought. So I'll watch and learn at least.

large.IMG_20180129_112324303_HDR.jpg.c59a3b1ecc815053ee8c472853c09b7f.jpglarge.IMG_20180129_112249066.jpg.f0114f7fa0f255a4180efac55bba4bbb.jpglarge.IMG_20180129_112254038.jpg.d712a7d250157783740eb13ad7c81645.jpglarge.IMG_20180129_112429598_HDR.jpg.bc484ed3c424aac4fbb39ab2962590df.jpglarge.IMG_20180129_112335887_HDR.jpg.a91ffb902dbf924e07d10113b44aae76.jpglarge.IMG_20180129_112450038.jpg.c2e59e38587b76f5583a56d3cdaab9c1.jpglarge.IMG_20180129_112456476.jpg.727cc5837ee193c0205394ffd3874005.jpglarge.IMG_20180129_112414261.jpg.5ebf2f1e02dad6d16b8d99cbfc786b62.jpglarge.IMG_20180129_112408402_HDR.jpg.9015e323f53711d4f960c1b3a0c2bf2f.jpglarge.IMG_20180129_112442308.jpg.30d8e93b356b38a88bed0c6197acc527.jpglarge.IMG_20180129_112357962.jpg.66d5fd28deb8d97513ab6d9a697ce4fa.jpg

Edited by TrampSteer
Follow up
  • Like 2

does the engine turn over by hand?

hey, with the starter out of the way, you can sure fill up that brake fluid reservoir easier :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

does the engine turn over by hand?

hey, with the starter out of the way, you can sure fill up that brake fluid reservoir easier :D

LOL - thanks for pointing that out. Might pay extra for that feature ...

Looks like they changed out the rear axle. Appears to have a flanged axle shaft set up instead of the OEM tapered axel set up. Might have 3.91 ratio or better freeway gears in it. I’d also offer $1000.00. Poor thing needs beaucoup body work, but when done, would be a real eye catcher.

I agree with 1000 - 1500, if you are up to the metal work. Parts of it look really good and parts of it are sketchy. I would try 1000.00, but tell the seller they can keep the little plastic bowl that is sitting on the engine head. This may improve your bargaining position.

• Haha 1

Panels are on the rare side.....this one is very rough.

You have the VERY difficult parts to find, the rear fenders.

Finding those fenders separated from a panel truck is almost impossible.

Its either a 1948 or 1949 (E-brake gives it away).

Everything from a 1/2 truck cab will fit/work on the front cab of a panel.

The front clip is the same. The frame and running gear is the same too.

Front and rear bumper are the same as the 1/2 ton trucks...but as always, the correct rear bumper is hard to find for 48-53 trucks.

(this ones rear bumper is scabbed together and the front bumper is not original) 

The seats are unique to the panel truck alone....the ones in the picture are not original.

All 48-49 panels should have come with stainless steel grille bars....these are missing (except for the brow bar, which is ss all years 48-50)

A good replacement set is getting pricey in some circles.....

There's extensive rust damage that is "plain to see" by the naked eye.....which means that the "unseen" is just as bad (frame, panel joints, etc.)

Panels, in my opinion, are a labor of love and can be kinda spendy to repair. I'm sure it can be ratted up just fine, but I always wish that they're

put back more to the original design......again, imo. 

$1400.00

Good find dude. :lol:  

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Thanks 1

Mike;

Not trying to rain on the parade...........but that is an awful lot of cancer for a SoCal vehicle. I have seen at least 3 or 4 for sale within a 50 mile radius in the last 5 years.  So not super rare. And as Tim has already pointed out it is going to be very expensive to fix/repair.

Under a grand and that is being generous. There is just too much high dollar stuff wrong to pay too much.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Mike;Not trying to rain on the parade...... There is just too much high dollar stuff wrong to pay too much.

Jeff

I know you are right about that. Guy showed up today finally and he wants to throw wads of cash at it. No chance to buy as we thought. So I'll watch and learn at least. And I'll pass on the good advice from you all to him. Sad it isn't mine, but I probably should get the rearend changed on mine first!!!

Mike;

Fwiw I think you probably dodged a bullet. ;) I wonder if that is one that was on C/L in Costa Mesa about 3 or so years back. The seller was asking about $4k and the photos only showed it from the front and back...... Be patient there are better candidates & deals out there. When I first started looking there was a 57 3/4 ton that was a runner for $1200. Under close inspection it had a lot of cancer. Way too much to be a good deal.

Jeff

• TrampSteer changed the title to 49 panel van showed up at the shop today

If you're wanting to make one original...and the seats are missing...i don't know what else they were used on(in) to broaden the search.

I would only say that the original seats aren't the safest available....lol

No way I'm putting originals in my panel. :)

48D

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, TrampSteer said:

safer

39 minutes ago, TrampSteer said:

I think a motorcycle might be safer than this!

Trampsteer, ever hear of a fatality in one of these?  How about on a motorcycle? ? 

39 minutes ago, TrampSteer said:

image.png.3e98d349cd754093cba0bfdaf9ad7103.png

• Like 1

That's a route van brother!!!! One of the first Independent Rear suspensions!

Chop that roof and you got yourself a wicked scooter...hehe

48D

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 4:16 PM, 48Dodger said:

That's a route van brother!!!! One of the first Independent Rear suspensions!

Chop that roof and you got yourself a wicked scooter...hehe

48D

The RouteVan does not have an independent rear suspension.  It uses a solid beam axle, with leaf springs on both sides.  The differential is rubber mounted to the frame, and the axle shafts have slip yokes and double universal joints to allow the driven hubs to move with the axle.  The idea was to get the load floor of the body as close to the road as possible.

This explains it: 

Edited by Elwood

Deleted because of incorrect info post.:(

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Posting incorrect info!

10 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Only the 'EU" series large 5 lug nut wheel  Route Van is a swing axle rear end.  The above MTSC film talks of this unique heavy duty swing axle setup.

The 1 ton "DU"  series lighter duty Route Van as shown earlier is just a six lug nut wheel one ton type chassis similar to the regular 1 ton pickups.

The Route Van has a solid beam axle in the rear.  Swing axles were used in early Corvairs, military M151 1/4-ton trucks, etc. and are truly independent rear suspensions, which the Route Van does not have.

The Route Van in that MTSC video has the six lug wheels, and the frame-mounted differential, not the solid live axle like a pickup truck.

I'd be interested in seeing some documentation that the DU Route Vans used a conventional solid live rear axle.

Edited by Elwood

I understand how it works, what it looks like, I've worked with one before.....I still like calling it an IRS,( which in itself is a broad term).

The Swing axle has been around since I believe 1903 and can be describe as a simple IRS. The route van has a solid axle that ties it together

underneath, but still "stole" the swing axle concept to get what they needed. Just having some fun, not writing a tech article.^_^

48D 

3 hours ago, Elwood said:

The Route Van has a solid beam axle in the rear.  Swing axles were used in early Corvairs, military M151 1/4-ton trucks, etc. and are truly independent rear suspensions, which the Route Van does not have.

The Route Van in that MTSC video has the six lug wheels, and the frame-mounted differential, not the solid live axle like a pickup truck.

I'd be interested in seeing some documentation that the DU Route Vans used a conventional solid live rear axle.

You are 100% right... I am so wrong! 

I'm getting too old I guess.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

I understand how it works, what it looks like, I've worked with one before.....I still like calling it an IRS,( which in itself is a broad term).

The Swing axle has been around since I believe 1903 and can be describe as a simple IRS. The route van has a solid axle that ties it together

underneath, but still "stole" the swing axle concept to get what they needed. Just having some fun, not writing a tech article.^_^

48D 

"swing axle"? I've heard of a swing radiator support............ but never swing axle........... :D

swing.jpg.c72daa58950ae1ea61c8e68f48bc60b6.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

You are 100% right... I am so wrong! 

I'm getting too old I guess.

LOL, TOO OLD!?  :lol: I see it as you know too much..... bound to get things miss filed once in a while. :D  

• Like 1