power brake booster

Thomba48

I am contemplating to include a power brake booster to improve to road safety overall. has anyone got any experience with this set-up. what value for money set-up would you recommend?

would that be a sensible solution?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SANTAYS-IMPERIAL-HYDRAULIC-POWER-BRAKE-ACCESSORY/252213349902?hash=item3ab9164e0e:g:p-gAAOSwSHZWb2pd

Edited by Thomba48

Thomba.....here in Australia it was and is quite common to use the PBR VH40 or VH44 remote brake booster, there are 2 versions of this booster, the VH44 for disc/drum systems and the VH40 for Drum/Drum systems like your car........I just did a search on Oz ebay and there are a few listed all around $2-300.00 Oz ........my own personal experience has been with the VH40 Drum/Drum version on a 51 Chev and it worked very well, well enough in fact for my wife to drive the car daily with our 3 children in it for about 5-6 yrs without any issue ............I wouldn't use that Imperial thing, but thats me, and my preference for something that I KNOW works...........I would think that there should be a similar type of Remote Mounted Brake Booster available in the UK or Europe........anyway my 2 Oz cents worth.........lol.........andyd   

Thomba.........the problem with that type of inline booster you have pictured is that its an inline one that the concertina rubber bit fits towards the brake pedal and the mastercylinder bolts on the other side....your pedals being on the floor  would make that VERY difficult to use............the type you need to use with your original master cylinder is that Midland Ross style or do a search under the PBR VH 40 or VH44 that I mentioned above.........these type of remote boosters are used as an "aftermarket" setup or in the case of Oz Chrysler were a factory install in the 1960's on drum & disc brake Valiants........andyd 

I used a PBR VH44 booster on a Morris Minor with Holden Torana (Vauxhall Viva) front disk brakes. The Morris has an under floor master cylinder like the Plymouth. I mounted the booster in the engine bay, but had to make new brake lines to reach the original master cylinder and brake line connections. It worked well. 

Rick

Thomba, from the pic that Pete posted it does seem to be the same style, those two studs on the lower side of the pic allow it to be attached to the right angled black coloured bracket that you can bolt anywhere, then at the front of the booster there will be a hole to allow the hose fitting to push into the booster, the other end of the hose goes to a manifold vaccum port, on Oz cars this was a drilled & tapped hole in the intake manifold between the carby and the head that a hose barb fitting screwed into then the hose from the booster was attached.......now my memory is a little hazy on exactly which fitting on the front of the booster the brake lines were connected to but I'm sure(hopefully) the "Powertune" booster pictured would have instructions.........andyd  

Thomba, I found these pics of the OZ PBR VH 40-44 boosters they have 2 stubs on the rear and 2 on the front to allow a stabilising bracket to support the booster front...........the brake line is run into the port at the front or back and out at the back or front......can't remember which...lol............does this make sense?..........lol...........andyd 

PBRBooster.jpg

PBRBooster2.jpg

PBRBooster3.jpg

On 1/29/2018 at 2:30 PM, Adam H P15 D30 said:

If you are keeping the single pot master cylinder, I would use a Midland Ross booster.

Booster.jpg.e6b97abe9af6f563ceeb24e4691bcea7.jpg

I got one of those too.  I am going to have it refurbished in Upland CA...