K&N Air Filter

Lloyd

I swapped carbs and since my last one had a straight flange and the new one has a bevel flange I need to get another air filter assembly. I am looking at the adapter and air cleaner in the links below.

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Air-Cleaner-Adaptor_p_3016.html

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/K-N-60-1140-Air-Filter-Assembly-3-5in-Tall-Red-Round,158003.html

I know that the adapter has a 2-3/8 inch top and the filter base has a 2-5/8 inch opening. I read on a previous post where someone used an exhaust pipe as a shim so I'm planning on about the same. Cant seem to find a filter assembly with a 2-3/8 inch opening and I've spent the last 3 hours looking. Reading previous post it seems K&N is the filter to go with other than original oil bath seems to be a lot for those as well. But I want to go with the K&N. The question I have is how do these K&N filter assemblies mount and secure on the carburetor or in my case the adapter? I cant find any images of the base of the assembly except a few that may show a bit of it. Seems its just a short flange that slips over the carb. So if it just slips over this adapter how would it be secured? Hopefully not by drilling holes...

I used a hose clamp to fasten the aluminum homemade base to the top of the carburetor. I then used a cheap chrome base filter mount to and clamp to secure the chrome clamp to the top of the aluminum piece. Then I staked the flexible K&N clone filters one on top of the other. and secured them with a hunk of all thread and a tobacco can lid.

I see. So the filter assembly base just slides over your adapter. So if I get the clamp adapter and the K&N filter assembly I will need to make an adapter then fasten them together.

thanks don. Appreciate it. 

I think you might have read my post about using exhaust pipe to create a larger diameter. What I did was cut some pipe that just fit on the 2 3/8 od of the adapter you found and then used a mr gasket 2 1/2 inch base filter with a paper element. Works fine. suspect you might find a K&N in the same size, about 6 inch diameter to use as well. I glued the exhaust pipe with JB weld into the air cleaner base. Nice fit.

Yep that was you. The K&N’s are 2-5/8 ID base compared to the adapter which is 2-3/8 OD. I have been looking high and low for a pipe with a 2-3/8 ID and 1/8” thick wall. Don’t believe there is such a critter. I’ve found that exhaust pipe is about 1/16” thick wall. Thinking I’ll have to just get the filter assembly and adapter and start plugging stuff in to see if it fits. Trial & error. 

On 1/30/2018 at 2:43 PM, Dartgame said:

I think you might have read my post about using exhaust pipe to create a larger diameter. What I did was cut some pipe that just fit on the 2 3/8 od of the adapter you found and then used a mr gasket 2 1/2 inch base filter with a paper element. Works fine. suspect you might find a K&N in the same size, about 6 inch diameter to use as well. I glued the exhaust pipe with JB weld into the air cleaner base. Nice fit.

Do you have a picture of it to share?

Hi Jack - Sorry none at this time - car is in paint shop for a few more months. I can and will post some info when I get it back. I think I might have used two pieces of exhaust pipe that just slid inside each other to make the “bushing” for this thing. It’s been about 2 years since I did it - so my apologies for the brain lapse.

Edited by Dartgame
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dartgame said:

Hi Jack - Sorry none at this time - car is in paint shop for a few more months. I can and will post some info when I get it back. I think I might have used two pieces of exhaust pipe that just slid inside each other to make the “bushing” for this thing. It’s been about 2 years since I did it - so my apologies for the brain lapse.

It will be worth the wait!  

And I want to correct my comment about the Mr Gasket filter. It is a 2 5/8 inch base. So you do need two pieces of pipe to bush the opening to the correct size. One fits tightly on the adapter and the other I glued w JB weld into the air filter base. Worked out very well.

Found an adapter ring on Speedway Motors website that may work. Still have to use the Air Cleaner Adapter, but then hopefully I can get the ring over the adapter. It looks to be about 1/16" to small. I should be able to take that off with a small round file. Might add a couple more set screws to the ring.

I'm at work right now and will be a while before I make it back home but when I do I'll post some more pics of the result.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/K-N-60-1140-Air-Filter-Assembly-3-5in-Tall-Red-Round,158003.html

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Diameter-Air-Cleaner-Adapter-Ring-2-5-16-Inch-to-2-5-8-Inch,139472.html?OriginalQuery=91511661

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Air-Cleaner-Adaptor_p_3016.html

Ring.jpg

Filter.jpg

adapter.jpg