1949 B1B Steering

squirebill

Folks....so I took my '49 B1B out for a test drive a few days before Thanksgiving 2017.  Took it around the block (about 3/4 miles) making 4 right hand turns.  Made three loops.  It was all I could do to keep the truck going straight and returning to straight after making the turns.  I would say I have close to 90 degrees free play at the steering wheel.  Think I can get rid of most of the free play by adjusting the steering box.  What concerns me most is the failure of the truck to come back to center after the turn.  Been awhile since I drove this truck or any vehicle with manual steering. I do remember and understand that after making the turn you could let the wheel slip through your hands and the steering would return to center or close back to  straight.  With this truck I had to "steer" the wheel back to straight after the turn and with the excessive free play it was kind of exciting getting it back to straight and keeping it there.  Also, I had 15" radial tires on the front and noticed the steering seemed exceptionally hard to turn. I mean back when this truck was my daily driver I used to be able to parallel park it using one hand pressed against the steering wheel.  Checked the toe-in and although not to  1/8" spec,  it's pretty close at about 3/16 .  Any suggestions about the non-centering and hard steering would be appreciated.  If anybody could give me an estimate of acceptable free play from your vehicles that would be great also.  Note that my primary purpose of this truck would be driving it in parades and local car shows.  I don't see myself ever taking it on a highway or above maybe 45-50 mph. Best regards to all.

If you have that much play you need to rebuild the box, plus all the associated joints in the steering system. The drag link isle a common source or contributing source of the issues you have described.  Be safe and do it right.

Also check to make sure that the steering box bolts that attach the box to the cast bracket, and the cast bracket to frame are all present,  accounted, for and tight.  Another thing to look at is the condition of the rear shackles bushings on the front springs , and the  mounting brackets riveted to the frame.   The steering not returning to center is likely due to a caster problem.  Mike

That looks like the drag link for the 1948-53 COE's.....is it used on the 47 1/2 tons too?

My B series trucks have a solid drag link from the steering column to steering knuckle.

48D

I'll second what 48Dodger said.  Wish they did have the drag link w rebuildable end-would be a lot cheaper than that NOS drag link I bought a few years ago.