Piston ID

Roger the Dodger

I have some NOS Mopar pistons and would like to know what they are used in. I have found they were used in DeSoto/Chrysler 251 and Chrysler 265. But this size is also used in the Red Ram. So which motor are they for, or can they be used in either one. Mopar Part number 966918. 3 7/16 + 0.020. Thank You.

that part # IS an odd number.

I cannot find it in any of my books including supercedence.... 1937 on up!

They are for the six if anything. NOT the V-8. V-8 use part#'s starting in the 14's on up.

54 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

that part # IS an odd number.

I cannot find it in any of my books including supercedence.... 1937 on up!

They are for the six if anything. NOT the V-8. V-8 use part#'s starting in the 14's on up.

Thanks for that. I boo booed with supplier it is "Chryco". See photos.

image (12).jpg

image02.jpg

image (22).jpg

With that "For Victory" I'd be 99% certain they are from around WW2, maybe 1940/41............I'd give them a good clean up, also try and salvage the boxes inf possible, even to the extent of making an internal "box" out of say, document folder light card then glue the cleaned up remains of the original boxes to the new box..........if going to sell them they then look a little bit presentable...........the 3 & 7/16th means they are certainly to suit the 25" engine....do you have any rings to suit?..........have you spoken to Jim Robinson regarding these?.........regards, andyd    

54 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

With that "For Victory" I'd be 99% certain they are from around WW2, maybe 1940/41............I'd give them a good clean up, also try and salvage the boxes inf possible, even to the extent of making an internal "box" out of say, document folder light card then glue the cleaned up remains of the original boxes to the new box..........if going to sell them they then look a little bit presentable...........the 3 & 7/16th means they are certainly to suit the 25" engine....do you have any rings to suit?..........have you spoken to Jim Robinson regarding these?.........regards, andyd    

Andy, From what I found, this size was first used in 1942 S10 De Soto. Good idea with box I only have two and there are 7 pistons. 6 of them are complete with rings and gudgeon pins and covered in a thick preservative grease. The clean one has gudgeon only. Didn"t think to ask Jim. Thank's mate.

That thick preservative reminds of something.............many yrs ago I was able to get hold of a 44 gallon drum full of sets of pistons........all 6 cylinder sets held together with a solid grease like substance that I cleaned off using petrol a couple of sets and had a mate who knew a bit more about mopar stuff than me check out...........I ended up giving the drum full to him and as he was a founding member of the Oz Chrysler Restorers club in sydney I think they got identified and used within the club.........this was in the early- mid 1970's...............I was into sticking the V8 into the Dodge then and getting it sorted out so dozens of sets of mopar sidevalve pistons didn't do anything for me............lol...............btw where did you get these from......lol.might have been some of the ones that I had.........doubtful.......lol............I was told that what I had were ex Oz Army, but had no way of confirming this.............can't remember who or where I got the pile from now........andyd........  

The V For Victotry would indicate 42-45 to me, as the US did not enter the war until the very last days of 41, and was over in August 45.

It's amazing how many of these old Mopar pistons are still out there.. especially on the internet.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Andydodge said:

That thick preservative reminds of something.............many yrs ago I was able to get hold of a 44 gallon drum full of sets of pistons........all 6 cylinder sets held together with a solid grease like substance that I cleaned off using petrol a couple of sets and had a mate who knew a bit more about mopar stuff than me check out...........I ended up giving the drum full to him and as he was a founding member of the Oz Chrysler Restorers club in sydney I think they got identified and used within the club.........this was in the early- mid 1970's...............I was into sticking the V8 into the Dodge then and getting it sorted out so dozens of sets of mopar sidevalve pistons didn't do anything for me............lol...............btw where did you get these from......lol.might have been some of the ones that I had.........doubtful.......lol............I was told that what I had were ex Oz Army, but had no way of confirming this.............can't remember who or where I got the pile from now........andyd........  

Andy, I bought them on Ebay about 6 years ago. Just thought they might be handy if my motor needed a rebuild. I was a bit "green" about Mopar parts then.

Dpollo......cosmoline, yep thats what the stuff was called..........anyway as I mentioned back then in the early 70's I'd just had a gutful of sidevalve mopar engines having had the original in the 40 sedan rebuilt by a so called expert & getting it back, as a sealed up long engine, sump & head installed........I installed it, went to the 1st Street Rod Nats in 1973 and afterwards noticed the rear main weeping, maybe 1200 miles.......lol.......dropped the sump and found metal shavings in there, checked the mains & found scored journals and bearings.........mildly pissed off as you could imagine........lol...........o/k.no more restoring this car.....asked around and a mate had a 1962 AP3 Chrysler Royal sedan with a 313 Poly V8........yep that'll do nicely........lol.....bye bye sidevalve six, hello V8..........lol.........sold off the original "rebuilt" engine, gearbox, diff & brakes and went to the 2nd Nats in 1975 under V8 power..............so yeh, a 44 gallon drum full of pistons to suit a sidevalve six didn't do much for me back then..............lol............btw we've all been that green colour.............lol...........regards.andyd  

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

A good ending to this topic. A bloke in Italy saw the post and realised they would be suitable for his WW2 Dodge truck, with Canadian motor. So today they were sent on their way to Italy from here in Australia. What a great Forum, keeping old dpdc vehicles on the road worldwide.