Oil in Exhaust Manifold

Surfmerc

Working on bringing my D24 motor to a point where I can perform a compression test to evaluate its condition. It's on a wooden support frame on a dolly. 

I poured some Marvel Mystery oil into the pistons and after a few days was able to easily turn it over. After a while I noticed Marvel Mystery oil dripping from the exhaust manifold cut off tail pipe. 

What is this telling me ?  Thanks

Thanks for the information. If the compression test is satisfactory I will remove water pump to look at the water distribution pipe. Trying to get it to a point for the best shot for a successful start up! 

When you get ready to fire it up, make sure you spin it over a bit without the coil connected.  That will get the oil pressure up and fill the float bowl.  Then make sure your exhaust is pointed out doors because it is going smoke big for a good while, till the excess burns off.  Might want to give your neighbors a heads up so they don't call the FD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surfmerc said:

Thanks for the information. If the compression test is satisfactory I will remove water pump to look at the water distribution pipe. Trying to get it to a point for the best shot for a successful start up! 

I wouldn't remove the water distribution tube until after fire-up. Removing and replacing it will make no difference to whether the engine starts or not. If the engine proves to be fairly decent, then removing and replacing it would make sense. If the old tube is steel, use a brass tube for replacement if you can get one.

Edited by RobertKB

22 hours ago, Surfmerc said:

You won't get an accurate compression reading until all the MMO has been pumped out of the cylinder. Right now,don't worry about it. You have the engine spinning freely,so leave the plugs out and use the starter to turn the engine over until you see oil pressure on the oil pressure gauge. Then try to start it. Once started,run it at idle to warm it up a little,and then shut it off and drain  the oil out of the oil pan,change the filter,and add new 30 wt non-compression oil. THEN start it up and let it idle long enough to warm up to normal operating temperature before shutting it off and letting it cool again. Then you can run an accurate compression test because all the MMO and associated crud will have burned away leaving your cylinders clean.

• Like 1