Lower bed side panel parts

Royhldn

2 hours ago, Royhldn said:

No I'm talking about the pieces that attach to the bottom of the side panels.  These pieces provide access to suspension grease inserts and for movement of the rear spring hangers.

Do you have a low side box? The 39-47 trucks have a rectangle panel where you are talking about and I believe the low side box was basically carried forward from the 39-47 series. 

• Like 1

Do you have a very early model bed on your truck or maybe military as my 1941 (military version with Burma Road fenders) box used bed panel extensions and if was never any used there originally,  one of the biggest oversights in truck building history that comes to my mind.   Mine were missing...I fabricated these from 16 gauge cold rolled steel, broke the angles, welded and ground smooth the corners.  I also made my own rear fenders a bit wider (12") for the larger tires I was putting on,  full dress running boards front fender to end of bed that tied in on the lower bed extenisons.  Made a much nicer looking vehicle.

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

Do you have a low side box? The 39-47 trucks have a rectangle panel where you are talking about and I believe the low side box was basically carried forward from the 39-47 series. 

Ed's got it.  Here's my '52 low side box with the separate lower pieces.

Old Yeller at work 2.jpg

Old Yeller 1.jpg

Edited by Reg Evans

Bingo Reg....that is similar  box I had on my 41 except.....I had a middle stake pocket than ran maybe 5/8th the distance from top of box to just over the fender top.....and the doggydic tie downs were mounted approx. mid way down the side of the box, just a tad lower than centerline...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Who else here has a lower sided bed ? ......... either 39-47 or the pilot house series.  When looking at my truck from the rear I've often thought that I should have a piece that would tie the left and right sides together just under the tailgate.  

Reg, I tied my at the end as you are speaking of...while it may not have been stock...it was the way I wanted it and took so very little effort to make it work....when I built this truck it was pre-internet days and I had so very little to draw from other than what I thought would look good in my mind's eye.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

1 hour ago, Reg Evans said:

Who else here has a lower sided bed ? ......... either 39-47 or the pilot house series.  When looking at my truck from the rear I've often thought that I should have a piece that would tie the left and right sides together just under the tailgate.  

On a 39-47 you should have a piece of wood under the edge of the bed wood. That piece goes inside the stake pockets at the rear and the center support for the tailgate attaches to it. Beyond that there is just frame etc back there. 

Call John Bizal at Midwest Military Ph#(952)440-8778. He reproduced them from an original part. In 1950 the 39-47 low box became available as standard equipment on the 1/2 ton trucks thru 1956. The high box was the extra cost option. Very few low boxes were sold. I used a low box from a 1954-56 1/2 ton to install on my WC-12. The box required a few small modifications but fit on the truck like a glove. 

To clarify, I’m speaking of the bed sides left and right front, not the back left and right pieces. Try also Brian’s Salvage and Junkyard in American Canyon, CA. (707)642-5408. He has some pilot-house trucks in his yard. May have the rear pieces your looking for. he’s closed Sun and Monday.

55 minutes ago, Dozerman51 said:

Call John Bizal at Midwest Military Ph#(952)440-8778. He reproduced them from an original part. In 1950 the 39-47 low box became available as standard equipment on the 1/2 ton trucks thru 1956. The high box was the extra cost option. Very few low boxes were sold. I used a low box from a 1954-56 1/2 ton to install on my WC-12. The box required a few small modifications but fit on the truck like a glove. 

John is good people.  If nothing else he could likely fab some up no problem.  Now if people would just buy their bed strips from him instead of the chebby/ferd ones from Horkey/Mar-K  :P

5 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Reg ,  If you look past all of the doodads , I put in a simple flat piece of sheet metal from side to side with a couple of braces to prevent wobble . That empty space bothered me too . Also my bumper isn't stock . 

IMG_5442.jpg

Guys thanks for the discussion but back to my question does anyone know where I might be able to get the lower pieces for my short side panels?  Or does anyone have or would consider making templates that I could use to fab some, thx