Where to Start

Randy Walker

Hello my name is Randy and I am brand new to this forum, I've been wanting a project to start on and I think I have just found one. It's a 1953 Dodge Truck, my question is where do I start? I restored a Plymouth GTX but it was nothing like what this project will be like. What's the challenges ahead for bringing a Dodge truck back to life? 

Welcome to the “family”. 

It’s like the old saying... How does one eat an elephant? One bite at a time. 

I guess it depends on what your end goal is. You may want to focus on getting the engine running. Then get the brakes working and drive it a bit. That’ll really get you hooked. 

Or you could do like I did and dive right in. I pulled my engine out and did a full tear down, due to it’s condition and state of seize. I then continued to strip it down to a rolling chassis. Then one bit at a time I put it all back together and have a great running truck. I wouldn’t recommend that process unless you are an accomplished mechanic. 

1 hour ago, Randy Walker said:

Hello my name is Randy and I am brand new to this forum, I've been wanting a project to start on and I think I have just found one. It's a 1953 Dodge Truck, my question is where do I start? I restored a Plymouth GTX but it was nothing like what this project will be like. What's the challenges ahead for bringing a Dodge truck back to life? 

Compared to the complexity of a 1968 GTX,or anything for that matter,it's a day at the park both financially and mechanically.

Randy, welcome from Oz..........don't forget that theres the Pilothouse Truck side also and those guys should be able to give you a good start on specific questions............but both sides, the car and truck are worth checking regularly as you never know what tidbits you'll see.........anyway welcome aboard....andyd

Welcome Randy!  I am a big time truck fan myself.  I have restored many Mopar Muscle Cars, including the "Hemi" versions...  

I guess all I can say in comparison is, you will encounter a lot more fine threaded fasteners!  And possibly some square ones too....  Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask for help.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Randy....where do you start?...at the start of course..haha...

You have some decisions to make first which will determine your course of action. Your first decision has already been made...you are starting your project. The next decision is how do you want your project to finish...lots of choices here...very important to decide how you want the finished  product...without a clear goal you will find yourself wasting time and money.

Welcome to the forum l hope you find it as helpful and enjoyable as l have 

Tom

2 hours ago, Randy Walker said:

Guys I appreciate all the feedback, thanks a lot for the input. If the title is clear I'm ready to get started on this adventure. 

OK,fair enough. IMHO,the very first thing you need to do is check the numbers on your title against the numbers on the car to make sure you have a clear,legal title.

Then look over the car thoroughly and make notes on anything missing,rusted or damaged beyond practical care,or just in need of refurbishing. Immediately start looking for decent used or NOS parts to replace anything that needs replacing. Some of the stuff will be hard to find,so the sooner you start searching for it the sooner you will have it.

Then you can start work on the car.

Is the engine stuck? If so,pull the side plates,close the valves and pour some penetrating lubricant into the cylinders and let it sit while you do other things. Do NOT put the spark plugs back in after removing them to pour the oil into the cylinders. Let air help and gravity help the lube get past the rings.  Check on the oil level each day you do something else to the car to monitor the progress  of the seeping oil.  Use the engine fan or a socket and breaker bar on the crank nut to test it to see  if it is free,taking care to not "grunt" if using a socket and breaker bar.

While waiting on this,do the essential safety work of replacing everything involving brakes or fuel feed,including the hard lines once done with all the above.

IMHO,now is the time to see if you can get the engine running so you can determine what work,if any,it will need.

Beyond this it is personal preference and the general condition of the car when you buy it. Do you want a driver grade car,a show car,restored car, or a modified car? If you want a show car or a restored car,you can ignore several steps listed above,and just start taking it apart right away,and carefully taking photos and notes on how things were assembled,and bagging it. EVERYTHING has to come apart,so you might as well wait to do any engine,chassis,and brake work once the body is off the car and everything is easier to get at.

If this is your first project car,you do NOT want to tear it completely apart to redo. Keep the process as simple as possible so you don't get overwhelmed with the work you need to do. Try to stick to the basics to get the car running and driving again so you can enjoy it,and then after you have been driving it a few months you can start to make plans on what,if any modifications or repairs you need.

With the exception of safety repairs like rebuilding the brake and fuel supply systems,that is. Safety first,cosmetics second. Never cut corners with safety.

Edited by knuckleharley