Roxanne - She don't have to put on the red light.

FlashBuddy

As is typical, I'm sure I spent more money on rounding up hubcaps and then refreshing them than it would have cost me to just have bought a new set from Robert's or DCM Classics. That notwithstanding, I had so much fun de-rusting, cleaning and painting them. The trick to it is the quarter inch bendable masking tape (Amazon.com) to get the initial circle. I then used an exacto knife to cutout the lettering. Something to do while watching the wife's who done it shows.

20180918181242-59978779-la.jpg

For paint, I tried a couple colors I had on hand, then ended up going to O'Reilly's and picking something off the shelf that was close enough - Dupli-Color Toreador Red Met. Heck, the hubcaps are not close to perfect so it stands to reason the paint can be off too, right?

20180918181612-9be483c2-la.jpg

20180918181626-bcd552bf-la.jpg

From a distance they look pretty good - to the untrained eye.

20180918181241-ec6bb3e1.jpg

20180918124548-efb3873a-la.jpg

Maybe somebody here has an off the shelf rattle can color that is a better match and can chime in. For my scratched and dented hubcaps I didn't think a trip to Finish Masters for a custom mix was worth the cost and spraying effort.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Name That Sound

A rhythmic clunk clunk clunk clang clunk schlunk clank klunk had me stymied. I taped my phone to the rear glass and headed out for a short test drive to capture video sound of the noise hoping that forum members who are a lot smarter than me could help in pinpointing where to start in fixing the problem. As it turned out, the test drive revealed the problem. Skip to about 2:55:00 if you have a busy life and no time ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

Name That Sound

A rhythmic clunk clunk clunk clang clunk schlunk clank klunk had me stymied. I taped my phone to the rear glass and headed out for a short test drive to capture video sound of the noise hoping that forum members who are a lot smarter than me could help in pinpointing where to start in fixing the problem. As it turned out, the test drive revealed the problem. Skip to about 2:55:00 if you have a busy life and no time ?

Hate to admit it, but "been there, done that" on an early drive after I got the '33 all back together. I don't recall any noise leading up to the event though. Fortunately for me, it happened at very low speed and there was no body damage done.

That sucks.  Glad no one was injured other than your pride.  

Did anyone ever tell you that your voice sounds a lot like Red Green, leaving the cotter pin out also sounds like Red. 

Ha! I don't know who Red Green is. I hope he's a well respected handsome devil?!

Hooked up with a buddy of mine for a junkyard run; new yard this time that was rumored to have a row of early Dodge trucks. Thought maybe I could score an intact right rear fender and save myself a lot of work - not so much. Found the Dodges but they were pretty rough, though a couple still had beds. No useable bed wood, no useable fenders. Two tailgates that were beat to hell. AKA mangled.

46602363482_157993c8bc_c.jpg

I did find this '49 and got all excited about the grill bars:

44614288340_3b91ef3a33_b.jpg

When I enquired "Not for parts" was the answer. They wanted ~$3k for the whole truck.

All that notwithstanding, my buddy tells me he got the Harbor Freight Flux 125 welder seen here>>. I'm invited over next week so we can fool around with it ? He also has a body work pal that may be able to help me with the pretty bent up grill bars I do have. Finger's crossed.

Edited by FlashBuddy

Unfortunately this happened to me in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, while driving 75 mph on an interstate 10 hours from home. I had been hearing a very slight tick sound when pulling out of the garage, which over time, morphed into a sound I couldn't identify while driving 'at speed'. I got out and checked all around the car, under the car, in the engine compartment, and couldn't find anything suspicious, called the dealer from where I was out of state and asked is there any kind of recall or other drivers experiencing this? No, to both. I should have just driven to the nearest dealer, but, I thought I would get home first, then take it to the dealer. Live and learn. Like you, I was puzzled but cautious. I believe what happened was that when the wheels were rotated, the tech didn't tighten all the wheel nuts. While driving 75 mph, the car started to violently swerve. I quickly made my way to the side, called for a tow. The wheel had sheered off 3 studs, and was sitting at the same angle as yours was in the video. 

Lesson learned, if I ever hear a slight click sound again, while pulling out of the garage, check the lug nuts for tightness. ?

• Like 1

I had that happen to me. Driving on the Interstate in New Hampshire at 2:00 in the morning in the middle of winter. At 70 mph the front left wheel came off. Luckily it wedged in the wheel well and I was able to nurse it over to the shoulder. I just had new snow tires mounted and at least one of the lug nuts wasn't properly tightened. I heard something a little while before it happened, but I told myself it was a wheel bearing going bad, and I elected to ease it home for another hour to two. To add insult to injury the local repair shop who "fixed" it totally screwed me over both in quality of work and price It was right after that I bought my first cell phone. As stated above, if you hear such a sound, pull over and check the lug nuts.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Long time no post. Not much going on over the winter with Roxanne. "Too cold" has been my usual excuse. I did get a replacement tail light mounted.

20190310100446-ded7f0ef-xl.jpg

Tail light from tailight king .com. what a disaster! No licenselicete light so they included L E D aftermarket lights, that arrived unuseable; one cracked the other dead. Led me to believe a light with the license plate lens could be found so I returned the one light and brackets that were too small. Tail light King sent the same light back. I mean WTF?! No price adjustment either. Why I oughtta...

I stumbled on a rear bumper in a junkyard. It was welded onto the frame and I had no way of cutting those gnarley welds so I ended up trading a box of donuts and the yard guy pulled it for me. Cost of the bumper was $100.

20190310100501-09ea96ec-xl.jpg

Not so sure about the blue. I'm afraid if I paint it then she'll look silly all painted up on a funky truck. Then there is the license plate being partially obscured. I've decided to wait until I get a ticket to solve that one.

Finally, I got the 6 volt tach installed; hose clamped to the steering column. It took weeks to have manufactured and delivered, and I let it languish in its box for weeks more. Finally I installed it into my 1950 Dodge B2B 1/2 ton pickup. This is the Westach from Westberg MFG INC - https://westach.com

It would be nice if it came in a metal can instead of plastic. I does look better installed than it did in the box. I still have to wire its light ? 

I forgot to mention it made the truck 10 mph faster!

Edited by FlashBuddy
  • Like 1

I bought one of those tachs and installed it in my WC-12. Hooked it up just like the instruction sheet showed. 6 months later, the tach took a big poop on me. Sent it back for warranty work and on return, it still was not showing the correct RPM’s. Gave up on it. Two years ago, I purchased a vintage Sun D-1 type 3500 rpm tach. Along with the transmitter box, it has run like a top. Yes, the tach this is much larger, but it has the vintage look and most importantly it functions correctly. Hope you don’t have the same problem with yours, that I had on mine. Very nice looking truck by the way.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dozerman51 said:

I bought one of those tachs and installed it in my WC-12. Hooked it up just like the instruction sheet showed. 6 months later, the tach took a big poop on me. Sent it back for warranty work and on return, it still was not showing the correct RPM’s. Gave up on it. Two years ago, I purchased a vintage Sun D-1 type 3500 rpm tach. Along with the transmitter box, it has run like a top. Yes, the tach this is much larger, but it has the vintage look and most importantly it functions correctly. Hope you don’t have the same problem with yours, that I had on mine. Very nice looking truck by the way.

Thanks for you kind words ?. Fingers crossed on the Westach - was expensive IMHO ?. I had been scanning EPAY but never found anything worth pulling the trigger on.

7 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

Love the tach! How do you get away with your obscured plate?

20190310100501-09ea96ec-xl.jpg

Saw 3 black and whites out driving yesterday which is rare here in Fort Collins. Have only been pulled over once in fifteen years here for not wearing my seatbelt- yep, a real scofflaw. I have an antique set of tail lights that lacks the outer bezels. If I ever find a set of bezels that fit I'll mount them on the rear portion of the stake pocket and higher. It'll be interesting to see which comes first, a ticket or bezels ?

• Haha 1

My plate is similarly blocked. The angle makes it look a little better than it really is. No one has said a word in about a decade. Not even the cop that pulled up behind me to make sure I was ok last summer when my fuel pump quit on me.

IMAG0321.jpg