Roxanne - She don't have to put on the red light.

FlashBuddy

keep your POR15 in the fridge....it sets with moisture and fridges are nice and dry.  You can also put some "saran wrap" on the top before you put the cover back on...lets you take the cover back off!

Thinning it is tricky from what I've heard...it's got LOTS of solids.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

yep, why?

' cuz I am, and when I start putting my opened cans of Por 15 in a 'fridge (a terrific tip, BTW), it better be the one in the garage with my 'adult beverages'!

1 hour ago, RNR1957NYer said:

' cuz I am, and when I start putting my opened cans of Por 15 in a 'fridge (a terrific tip, BTW), it better be the one in the garage with my 'adult beverages'!

that's where mine are

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RNR1957NYer said:

Never thought about using the fridge as a hiding spot. Wonder if that would work for hiding adult movies too???:huh:

You won't believe my genius. At least I thought it genius. After watching a dozen YouTube videos on using sound mitigating aluminum backed self stick foam, either Peal and Seal or Frost King Foam and Foil - Bought a roll of Frost King for $18 and change from Home Depot.

Here is the kicker. I put the stuff on the under side! I hope it is genious.

20180303_150645-1328x747.jpg

Edited by FlashBuddy

Ya know, this all started when I had to take up the floorboards to reach the tranny end of the broken speedometer cable. Well guess what, the speedo quit a block later after having buttoned everything up :huh: 

Unlike Paul, I didn’t measure the sound levels with my iPad. Maybe I will now? Hey @pflaming, what app was that you used? Jan Baby (the wife) and I swear my Frost King job has made Rox noticeably quieter. Putting down a bead of caulk where each panel overlaps the metal of another was genius too, though not my idea. Don’t recall who I ripped that one off of :rolleyes:

20180304_152743-1232x693.jpg

20180305_170116-1022x575.jpg

Edited by FlashBuddy

My truck was the same oxidized color yours is . This is what I found when I removed the oxidation. Note the top of my cab and yours, mine looked just the same. Some 800 grit and a light go over with a DA sander and the paint was there. Then I lost it all in the fire.

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2847.JPG

There two takeaways for me. 1.) Your tuck is now value added. 2.) Your hubcaps have an after life, now on my truck, thanks! BTW - Hubcaps are on my to-do list; a little, what do they call it? Oh yea, "refreshing".

5 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

Ya know, this all started when I had to take up the floorboards to reach the tranny end of the broken speedometer cable. Well guess what, the speedo quit a block later after having buttoned everything up :huh: 

Unlike Paul, I didn’t measure the sound levels with my iPad. Maybe I will now? Hey @pflaming, what app was that you used? Jan Baby (the wife) and I swear my Frost King job has made Rox noticeably quieter. Putting down a bead of caulk where each panel overlaps the metal of another was genius too, though not my idea. Don’t recall who I ripped that one off of :rolleyes:

20180304_152743-1232x693.jpg

you might want to check on the caulk as a concept.  I've heard water can be attracted to where you have it and can create some serious corrosion issues.  I can take pictures of my buddies windshield falling out due the the rust around his caulking job if you want.  Not to mention when you need to take it off again..

I REALLY REALLY REALLY wonder what noise levels are so concerning...as I've stated before, FEF at 55 (or so) MPH I have no issues with a conversion in the cab while hurtling thru time and space.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

You won't believe my genious. At least I thought it genious. After watching a dozen YouTube videos on using sound mitigating aluminum backed self stick foam, either Peal and Seal or Frost King Foam and Foil - Bought a roll of Frost King for $18 and change from Home Depot.

Here is the kicker. I put the stuff on the under side! I hope it is genious.

20180303_150645-1328x747.jpg

all the sound deadening I have is on the INSIDE of the cab...drier and less chance of water finding it's way in between and starting a corrosion issue. 

Thing to remember about sound:  it's not how much you apply to break up noise it's WHERE you apply it.  Where are the acoustical  resonators, how do they act, etc.  Just covering everything won't necessarily make it better.  Also the MATERIALS the sound deadener are made out of are critical.    I applaud your vigor, but I don't think it's the end all beat all solution.

Agreed, but for stage 1 it won't hurt and has already helped. Definitely will be doing the interior later this summer, after the floors get a repaint top and bottom, new sound proofing, & new mat - under seat too.

Thanks for looking out for me :D I'll keep it dry and observe closely for anything untoward. I like your idea of sound mapping the interior to find out where all the noise is coming from. Maybe Paul's iPad app can do that too?

• 2 months later...

Brakes Done – Almost

Getting the right brake cylinders turned out to be an interesting pursuit. Prices ranging all over the place and no guarantee that the high price part isn’t the same exact thing as the low priced part. I purchased a $58 cylinder and a $9.95 cylinder and they were the exact same cheap Chinese part!

After completing the rear I was ecstatic when I did a hard hands free test brake from 45 MPH – She stopped straight and I could hear the rear tires skidding on the asphalt. That’s a good thing considering Roxanne was unloaded. After bragging to my wife and dog about what a great brake mechanic I’d become, the next morning out in the garage I found a pool of brake fluid under the drivers front wheel. Nooooooo!

Drivers Side Wheel Cylinder Exploded View

Look at that chewed up metal. No wonder it was leaking. I suspect my hard braking got the cups to break free and move thus causing the new leakage. The shoes too were interesting. They appeared brand new with no wear. The front shoe had a tad bit of wear but the rear had none. Now I know why the howling squeaks and hard pull to the left were occurring.

After buttoning up the driver’s front I took her out for another aggressive braking test – WOW! Best braking since owning the truck! I decided to put off doing the passenger front brakes until after the Old Town Car Show. My repair technique is such that it tends to leave the truck up on jack stands for long periods of time when things don’t go according to plan. For example, with three wheels done, I managed to tear open or completely tear off the brake lines. So, some more parts acquisition and brake line bending, more time on jack stands. On the up side, I now also have new brake lines, though I’m not sure I needed them as the existing lines appeared to be in very good nick.

Old Mopar Parts Order - Wheel Cylinders and Fuel Sender 1
Old Mopar Parts Order – Wheel Cylinders and Fuel Sender
Wheel Cylinder Bolt Holes Alignment
Wheel Cylinder Bolt Holes Alignment
Closeup of Wheel Cylinder Machined Surface w Washer
Close-up of Wheel Cylinder Machined Surface w Washer
Rock Auto Chinese Wheel Cylinder Bolt Hole Measurement 1950 B2B
Rock Auto Chinese Wheel Cylinder Bolt Hole Measurement 1950 B2B
1950 Dodge b2b Left Rear Brakes
1950 Dodge b2b Left Rear Brakes

I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to carry all the odds and ends one needs given the limited cab storage space of a Dodge B2B half ton pickup. Many of the Guys on the P15-D24 Forum have come u p with some good ideas. Paul Flaming for example has a home built tonneau (aka plywood) cover that seems very smart and effective.

Tonneau AKA Plywood and Rope Bed Cover

Tonneau AKA Plywood and Rope Bed Cover
Photo: Paul Flaming

Long ago in my impetuous youth I acquired a steam trunk of substance. It has been a functional artistic decorator item in our home since about 1976. “Wouldn’t that be the perfect trunk for the truck?” I suggested to Jan Baby, my best friend and wife for over 40 years. She shot back: “It would get ruined in the weather and we need it where it is”. Thus began my Craigslist search for the perfect trunk for ‘ol Rox Baby’s bed.

If you click that last link, you will see that there are lots of options.  I’ve learned to take my time and cogitate on the options to eventually find something that suits my personal tastes while filling the bill of functionality. Several weeks passed and I started gravitating to vintage steamer trunks with the domed or camel back top.

I found a couple prospects. One was twenty minutes from the house and priced at $60.00 while the other was an hour away and priced at $100.00. I decided to on a rainy Saturday to email the nearby trunk owner and setup a viewing. My plan was to arrive and negotiate the price down to $40 or so dollars.

Norma was a delightful senior woman who graciously invited me into her garage to take a look at the trunk. She explained that it has held spare blankets for her bed for many years but didn’t fit in with her new homes decor. It was love at first sight. The lack of a key to the lock and missing side handles added to its character I thought. I held out $60.00 cash. No way was I going to haggle with such a delightful person such was Norma.

Junk in the Trunk

Trunk-Craigslist-Ad-150x150.jpg Vintage Trunk Trunk-Side-150x150.jpg
Trunk-Back-150x150.jpg Trunk-Inside-150x150.jpg Roxanne with New Tool Box
Edited by FlashBuddy
  • Like 1

I like the trunks, yet I prefer the full cover. I placed a 2x6 "wall" across the bed to keep things near the gate, easy to load and unload and nothing is tempting. Full cover also helps some on gas mileage, but not much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tom'sB2B said:

I’d like to figure out a way to “treat” it to keep it from deteriorating in the weather.

Varnish the heck out of it??  It worked for Town and Country's.

Thunderstorm rolled through late yesterday and deluged the whole area. That was when I thought the same exact thing. What do you think? Brush on some kind of satin clear? 

For now I'm keeping a plastic patio chair cover in the trunk for emergencies with a couple bricks to hold it on. Bricks double as tire chocks for those tricky parking situations ?

2 minutes ago, FlashBuddy said:

Thunderstorm rolled through late yesterday and deluged the whole area. That was when I thought the same exact thing. What do you think? Brush on some kind of satin clear? 

For now I'm keeping a plastic patio chair cover in the trunk for emergencies with a couple bricks to hold it on. Bricks double as tire chocks for those tricky parking situations ?

Personally I would stay away from water-based polyurethane, even if it says it's for exterior use;  an old school approach would be good old spar varnish.  Or you could go high tech and find the best brush-on clear the wooden boat guys are using these days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 5:45 AM, tom'sB2B said:

I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Though my trunk isn’t as nice as yours ( it was free). I’d like to figure out a way to “treat” it to keep it from deteriorating in the weather.

218F1E75-4516-4D58-A186-A1BE1F36B9F5.jpeg

Linseed oil will soak in and keep it from decay . It won't peel off because it doesn't stay on the surface . 

• Like 1

Linseed oil works very well. But with my experience thinning it a little with mineral spirits makes it dry up a heck of lot quicker. I would  go 1-4 ratio. 

My 2 cents

• Thanks 1