S-10 Chassis for B1B body install

doogan

Not sure this is the correct place to ask but am considering this option.   I have heard that some have put the bodies of the B1 on an S-10 chassis successfully.  I have a 1949 pilot house used for my daily driver and have access to another decent body without running gear.   I was thinking of trying one of these swaps to the s-10 with this body if feasible.   I like by pilot house and have no intention of doing anything with it other than continue driving it.  But, for a project I am considering trying this with the new purchase.

So, does anyone have a picture of the S-10 chassis already set up for the pilot house cab and bed?  In addition are there any folks that would offer suggestions pro or con for this project?    Any pictures of this project would be helpful as well.

Thanks 

Don

Hi , You can make anything fit  ,but I have done this and used a Dakota It has correct tread width  its all Mopar has a variety of engine , disc brakes A/C  you  asked and this what I recommend. Click on my name you will see  pictures.S-10 is too narrow, you would have to have special wheels made . With older Dakota  you would have many choices.

There was a company making the mounts and instructions on doing that very swap, you would have to search the forum to find it..I really can't recall what they were called.  S-10 is pretty much the go to swap for a lot of vehicles, but Bill is right, the wheel width looks funny, and a lot of time they also tend to end up with the wheels not centred in the wheel well from swaps I've seen.  Dakota is the best option for fit and finish..mopar parts aside 

I did a S10 under a panel, worked great, the wheelbase is exactly the same on a std frame S10. You can get the conversion V8 swap stuff cheap and there are lots of S10 add on suspension products, much more than a Dakota. You can get lots of aftermarket parts cheap for the S10, You'll piss off  a lot of purists, but if its YOUR pocketbook your concerned with and not some strangers comments, S10 is the way to go

20953878_884817171665586_3585108573699868726_n.jpg

Great looking truck bifford!  I don't think you'll upset anyone here on the forum, there's been plenty of S-10's done and no one's feeling were hurt.

My Bonneville truck has a 96 Ford T-bird IRS and I still get to hang out with everyone here...lol.

doogan, I think you're doing the right thing and finding a build that's finished ....better not to re-invent the wheel until you've build a few yourself.

Member "buds truck"  documented his build using a Dakota frame quite well. Do a search for his posts and maybe get a feel of what can be done.

Maybe you'll catch something we missed....:)

Hey bifford! We love build threads.....:D

48D

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Thanks 1

Bifford would love to see some pics of the S-10 chassis before body set on.   That is what I am looking for is some pics or instructions as to what has to be done to the frame.  Also, maybe it would be simpler???? to use original chassis and install my sbc and 4 speed with appropriate rear end.  Either way is a lot of work I know but I'm just trying to weigh the choices.   

Thanks for all the information thus far.  Hoping to get started on a project this spring once all the investigating is completed.

The company offering an S10 conversion for older trucks (Dodge included) is Code54.  There website is http://www.code504.com .  They offer several options, including a package deal with power brakes.  Not sure how much of the S10 has to be retained, and how much of the Pilothouse can be kept intact.  You might have to use the S10 dash etc, which I would not care for.  I have a 19 B!B woody wagon and at first they said the kit would not work.  But after speaking to the owner, we agreed that it would work, but I might have to do some additional fitting, since my truck has a flat wood floor and not a pickup bed.  

Mike 

• Like 1

A lot of the swaps done now are using the s10 frame and it will work just got to get the rite one. I used a Dakota for mine. the 87 to 92 frames work best according to my info. I had to cut out my firewall and redo it for my 318 and 727 trans. my frame was a long bed but it was a 2 piece welded under the cab.i ground the weld cut 16 inches out and put it back together.im not saying anything about it has been easy as ive been working on it for over a year,but I can drive it now and working on inside of cab.

14 hours ago, bifford said:

...only if already a facebook member.........not all are.

Edited by wayfarer